GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link: http://www.leftlanenews.com/nissan-announces-9990-versa-16-least-expensive-car-on-sale-in-us.html

Nissan has just announced a new, entry-level version of the Versa priced lower than any new car on sale in the United States. The 2009 Versa 1.6 sedan, which will go on sale on November 18, starts at $9,990 before destination and handling fees - exactly $3,000 less than the current Versa S 1.8 sedan and undercutting the next-closest Hyundai Accent by more than $1,000.

The new Versa 1.6 looks to be essentially the same Versa/Tilda sold outside of the U.S. with a smaller 1.6 liter engine. The four-cylinder puts out 107 horsepower in U.S. configuration, Nissan says, and comes with a standard five-speed manual transmission and offers a four-speed automatic as an extra-cost option.

NISSAN PRESS RELEASE:

"Starting under $10,000, this new Versa Sedan 1.6 has the lowest new-car MSRP in the United States," said Brian Carolin, senior vice president, Sales and Marketing, NNA. "It combines the low price of a used car with the dependability, high quality and full factory warranty of every new Nissan. It's our way of saying that in tough economic times, Nissan is here to help."

·
Banned
423 Posts
That is a good deal. It is getting harder and harder to buy aveo. But good thing we have g3 coming LOL. It is smart move for nissan. Economy is bad. People can not get big loans. What will they do? they will buy afordable car. This will sell good.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
That is a good deal. It is getting harder and harder to buy aveo. But good thing we have g3 coming LOL. It is smart move for nissan. Economy is bad. People can not get big loans. What will they do? they will buy afordable car. This will sell good.
Your anti GM rhetoric and God Awful sentence structure have made me more and more certain you are not who you claim. Someone who was exactly like you has been banned multiple times...

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I can usually find something nice about most vehicles but this thing is pretty damn ugly. I don't think they're selling it as a lower priced alternative, I think they lowered the price so someone would buy it. You'd have to pay me to drive that mess.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Price is the ONLY reason to by this load. But then again, $10K of ugly in the driveway is hardly a bargain. HWY mileage with auto is no better than the Malibu 2.4.
You are right, but for alot of folks, price is the only factor - as sad as that is. I think I'd rather have a slightly used pre-owned product with better looks and some milage on the odometer than a brand new Versa 1.6.

Honestly, the exterior looks of the Versa turn me off, but the interior is pretty nice for what it is, IMHO.

Neverthless, I wonder if those who beat up on the Aveo all the time for its looks would take an Aveo or a Versa in a head-to-head comparison? :)

However, GM fans need not fear - a better looking product in this segment is coming from the Poncho brand, and it puts the Versa and the Aveo equally to shame in terms of looks :D:

Ain't she a stunner? LOL

The shame of it is that it DOES actually look better to me, as humble as its appearance is.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
You are right, but for alot of folks, price is the only factor - as sad as that is. I think I'd rather have a slightly used pre-owned product with better looks and some milage on the odometer than a brand new Versa 1.6.

Honestly, the exterior looks of the Versa turn me off, but the interior is pretty nice for what it is, IMHO.

Neverthless, I wonder if those who beat up on the Aveo all the time for its looks would take an Aveo or a Versa in a head-to-head comparison? :)

However, GM fans need not fear - a better looking product in this segment is coming from the Poncho brand, and it puts the Versa and the Aveo equally to shame in terms of looks :D:

Ain't she a stunner? LOL

The shame of it is that it DOES actually look better to me, as humble as its appearance is.
Good point, although I think a lot of folks would really prefer the peace of mind and warranty of a new car vs. Used. Besides, if you go to a dealership $10,000 doesn't get you much of a used car.

Just my opinion, but the current Aveo and the G3 are just as good looking as the accent, fit, yaris and versa.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
If people can't get loans, they shouldn't be buying a new car - period. This will get the wrong kinds of customers into Nissan's showrooms.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,308 Posts
Besides, if you go to a dealership $10,000 doesn't get you much of a used car.
?????
Most of the cars I've bought were less than $10K. Only once in my life have I gone over $15K.
Getting a good car in the $8K to $9K range has been no problem at all.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I can usually find something nice about most vehicles but this thing is pretty damn ugly. I don't think they're selling it as a lower priced alternative, I think they lowered the price so someone would buy it. You'd have to pay me to drive that mess.
I agree. But people drive prius's. And you cant get uglier than that!

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Good point, although I think a lot of folks would really prefer the peace of mind and warranty of a new car vs. Used. Besides, if you go to a dealership $10,000 doesn't get you much of a used car.

Just my opinion, but the current Aveo and the G3 are just as good looking as the accent, fit, yaris and versa.
You people can say what you will about this car and the price. Nissan is doing a great thing by providing this Versa at a price well below it's competition and de-contenting it.

This car is priced right for entry level buyers or lower income buyers who need safe, reliable transport to shuttle the kids around, go to the grocery store and get to work.

It's true that someone could go to a used car lot and buy a 2 year old or older Impala or Malibu or Camry or Civic or whatever but they are likely passing up the piece of mind that comes with a new car warranty.

Sensible people who really need reliable transport should seriously consider this over a used vehicle that might have more bells and whistles but might run a few thousand dollars in repairs once they drive off the lot.

This should be a big hit with parents who want to buy their kids reliable transportation especially when their kids go off to university.

Nissan has a good sales plan and sales model with this vehicle. Also, if they managed to get a few thousand people into these vehicles as they increase their consumer spending ability down the road and can afford a new car or another car they might go back to Nissan for another sale.

When my girlfriend bought a new car about 6 months ago this was at the top of the list until we went and started test driving vehicles. The Versa likely would have been her choice if the VW City Golf wasn't priced about the same with more features.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
The Aveo was the same price and same options as this thing when it first came out and still looks better IMO.
no AC no PW, PL, AM FM radio, no ABS front only ARS. Manual trans. Aveo was the same and it didnt sell well either. Only sheeple will buy this thing, its horrible looking to me. I would like to see the safety ratings and results of this version also. Just decontenting it shouldnt drop it that much.

·
Registered
131 Posts
In canada, i've seen the aveo/g3 advertised cash price $9995, same with the accent, so this is no big deal, with the cdn$ dropping, americans could get a good deal if the aveo isn't that low in the US.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Why do they throw the Aveo in the headline? This car is an ad car there may be 1 or 2 of these things available in your area.They had the Aveo with no AC not many sold.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts