GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CANTON, Miss. — Nissan officially began production of its Titan pickup truck Tuesday, celebrating the launch with a press conference, an employee-appreciation party and a pledge to muscle its way into the Big Three-dominated full-size pickup market.

The Titan boasts a 5.6-liter V-8 engine that generates 305 horsepower and 379 pounds-feet of torque — the most powerful standard engine in the full-size class. The Titan has a heavy-duty five-speed-automatic transmission, the only five-speed in the segment. Nissan says the combination produces best-in-class fuel economy of 14 mpg city/18-19 mpg highway.

A manual transmission is not available, and neither is a “regular cab” configuration. Rather, the Titan comes either as a King Cab with rear-hinged rear doors that open 168 degrees or as a Crew Cab with four conventional, front-hinged doors and the largest cabin in the segment. Both versions seat five to six passengers.

Besides the King Cab’s “Wide-Open” rear doors, other standout features on the Titan are its high-utility cargo bed and a locking exterior cubby located behind the driver-side rear wheel well. The cargo bed comes with a factory-applied spray-in bedliner and an available anchor system called Utili-track: C-channel rails in the floor, the sides and the header wall provide nearly unlimited anchor adjustability. The cargo bed also has fixed tie-downs in the corners, a 12-volt powerpoint and auxiliary lighting. The King Cab’s cargo bed, at 6 feet, 7 inches long, is a foot longer than the Crew Cab’s.

Other innovations: The center-console mounted, left-right gated “slap” shifter was designed to reduce arm motion. Another first-in-segment touch is the flat-folding front passenger seat. When folded forward all the way, it provides a flat workspace for those who use their pickups as mobile offices. The rear seats fold up to reveal a nearly flat load floor and grocery bag hooks on the seats’ undersides.

Trim levels include the XE base model, the SE sport model and the top-end LE. A Rockford Fosgate stereo is offered, as well as a navigation system, steering-wheel-mounted radio controls, heated and powered seats, a sunroof, deluxe sun visors, power-adjustable pedals and (in the Crew Cab’s full-length overhead console) a DVD player. There are four to seven cupholders, depending on model and trim level. The driver has a grab handle at the upper doorsill; the front passenger has two. The Crew Cab has grab handles for rear passengers as well. Storage cubbies are virtually everywhere.

Four-wheel disc brakes, Brake Assist, electronic brake-force distribution and antilock braking system are standard in all versions. Side airbags and curtain-type airbags (the first in a full-size pickup) are optional in all trim levels.

Full Story HERE

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Check out Car And Driver's review of this. They try and try to like the Titan, but they admit that it's not even as good as the new F-150. As for the 9500 lb. tow rating, it's a stretch, and it seems to come at some glaring weight-saving cutbacks, such as tinny doors. They also mention that, contrary to the pre-production models, the 5.6L 32V VVT V-8 has a weak low end. I'll take a Vortec 5300 or 6000 over this engine, or a 24V Triton 5.4 any day.

Personally, BTW, I think either the cast iron 4800 or 5300 should have made Ward's 10 Best engines list, and they built a good case for the Ford 4.6L SC as well, over those multiple I-4's. If I want an I-4, and I very well might, I'd much prefer an Ecotec over the 4-cylinder import engines that made the list.

It's taken literally five years for the competition to catch up to the GM trucks, and it's still a dead heat: interior fru-fru vs. GM's frame/engine choices and body/chassis choices.

I can't wait till we blow 'em away again.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
922 Posts
Titan Who?? Its big plastic chrome grille and useless storage box and tie down tracks(that will get full of dirt etc) are not going to attack the big three. The new F150 is sweet, the Ram is the owener of the Bad Asz looking class that the Titan tried to copy, and the Silverado is still a great truck that can be tailored to anyones needs. The Big three knows trucks and i dont think they'll let the ricers take over there territory. (no offense to any Asian people)

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Nissan Frontier is just wiping up the floor with the Ranger and old S-10.....NOT.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by mason@Oct 25 2003, 03:52 PM
The Nissan Frontier is just wiping up the floor with the Ranger and old S-10.....NOT.
Yah and it's pretty sad how the new I5 in the Colorado/Canyon makes 10 more horsepower than the Frontiers V6 which is supercharged and has 1 more cyllingder :lol:

Canyon/Colorado
220 horsepower and 225 lbs.-ft. of torque

Frontier
210 horsepower and 246 lb-ft of torque

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
A Rockford Fosgate stereo is offered
That's nice but wtf is it? :lol:

Besides that, I still don't consider it a serious compeititor, it isn't for the true truck buying populus!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by Dumb_Ass_2003+Oct 26 2003, 04:03 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dumb_Ass_2003 @ Oct 26 2003, 04:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mason@Oct 25 2003, 03:52 PM
Yah and it's pretty sad how the new I5 in the Colorado/Canyon makes 10 more horsepower than the Frontiers V6 which is supercharged and has 1 more cyllingder :lol:

Canyon/Colorado
220 horsepower and 225 lbs.-ft. of torque

Frontier
210 horsepower and 246 lb-ft of torque [/b][/quote]
Last I checked, the supercharged Frontier required PREMIUM fuel... :rolleyes: with something like 17 miles per gallon.... OUCH!

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Every truck is rated at getting awful gas mileage. Getting 17mpg is not that bad for the market. Ten more horsepower for an all-new DOHC five cylinder with more displacement compared to an older SOHC V6 with a supercharger? This is excellent competition on GM's part? When the next Frontier arrives with a modern engine, then you can compare them...and 220hp won't look so good.

Small trucks are small trucks. Nobody's buying a Frontier or Ranger or Colorado/Canyon to haul on a regular basis. These trucks are typically commuter vehicles with occasional Home Depot runs. You guys actually think these were meant to be work trucks?

As for the more senior trucks (full-sized), Toyota has done a great job in a market that I thought was VERY brand conscious. The Tundra has added to the market since Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge are reporting record or near-record sales AND Toyota has sold about 100,000 trucks each year since its introduction (maxing out its ONE plant). Nissan introduces the larger Titan this fall and, again, won't be targeting the "traditional" (read: brand loyal) buyers of the Big 3. Toyota added volume to the market...Nissan will possibly snatch a few sales from the Big 3 and (probably more from) Toyota. Nissan only wants 100,000 units a year...all 300hp V8s...all automatics....all extended cab (King or Crew)...and at a competitive price. Nissan did their homework on this one, don't put it down blindly.

Then Toyota opens a second plant in time for the next generation Tundra...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Its gonna be a city truck, lets face it the majority of people who buy this will never drive even gravel roads. like a DVD player , its fine for the kids , this is probably not ever ment to be an actual work truck, it may boast the numbers, but i`d like to see it in the next 10 years after driving gravel roads , feilds , farm work ect.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Nissan (and Datsun) trucks have always been known as rugged vehicles. I have no doubt that the Titan could hold up just as well (possibly better) than the Big 3 full-sized trucks when doing the same job. I really believe that the Titan could be used everyday as a work truck and hold up like a Ford, Chevrolet/GMC, or Dodge.

That's just not the market Nissan's shooting for. Aiming at the F-Series/Silverado/Sierra/Ram buyer is suicide...most of these folks want a badge (Ford, GM, or Chrysler) and many of these folks are too conservative to realize that someone else could do just as good of a job making a truck. This strong brand-loyalty is the reason why Nissan won't initially aim at them.

Maybe with the next generation Titan, Nissan could focus on stealing some sales from the Big 3, but this generation is about establishing a vehicle in a new market.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts