GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The company plans to use the lightweight material for the next-generation Wrangler's body panels -- following in the footsteps of Ford's new F-150 -- with traditional body-on-frame construction, unnamed sources have told Automotive News.

The latest report contradicts recent statements from FCA chief Sergio Marchionne, who ignited a mild controversy when he hinted that the next Wrangler could switch to an aluminum unibody build. Citing the lack of proper tooling at the model's current assembly plant in Toledo, he further warned that the iconic off-roader would be built elsewhere.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/next-wr...-not-unibody-sources-claim.html#ixzz3HALovUdL

This should go over much better with the Wrangler crowd than the rumor they were switching to uni-body. BOF is probably the deal breaker for that crowd. The Wrangler is so iconic, I would hate form them to phuc it up. Workers at the Toledo plant should be pretty happy to hear this.

I'd love to see them throw the 3.0L diesel, or even better a 2.0L diesel in the next Gen. Seems like the TQ and added range/MPG's would be a perfect match for that crowd.

So it looks like Ford isn't the only one going this route.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
The Aluminum Body/BOF Wrangle makes more sense since it is an easier sell to current Wrangle owners and it will make it less "top heavy".

People have been replacing steel bodies with Fiberglass or Aluminum ones since the CJ5/7 were around, so using Aluminum is nothing new. The lighter weight should allow the use of smaller engines for better MPG.

Real question to me has been more of what the next generations suspension design will be.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
This can't be! The body will corrode to powder, insurance will be too high, the Wrangler will cost too much, it will be too expensive to perform body repairs, body shops won't be able to work on them, thousands of people are going to burn to death! Oh, the humanity!!!!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
This can't be! The body will corrode to powder, insurance will be too high, the Wrangler will cost too much, it will be too expensive to perform body repairs, body shops won't be able to work on them, thousands of people are going to burn to death! Oh, the humanity!!!!
No, GM fanbois don't care about Jeep Wrangler because they don't have anything to compete with it......so no reason to flame it......

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
and aluminum has never ever been used for automotive body panels...

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Tell that to Jaguar, Land Rover, Audi, any number of large RV manufacturers and don't forget large semi have been aluminum for years.....
...sarcasm...my Forester has an aluminum hood. GM full size SUV's and the Expedition have had aluminum tailgates too

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If jeep goes to ifs and irs suspension there is no reason and no uniqueness to buying a wrangler its just another crap pile SUV like a ford explorer .

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
If jeep goes to ifs and irs suspension there is no reason and no uniqueness to buying a wrangler its just another crap pile SUV like a ford explorer .
FCA literally cannot build enough of them to meet demand. I seriously doubt they're going to screw that up. The other good thing is they have the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee for that role.

I wish to remind you though that these have independent suspensions and do just fine off road:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.