GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think GM has done a great job improving initial quality. Kudos to the much maligned UAW too, for putting together a decent product without stuff falling off or going haywire in the first few months.

Look at my sig for my favorite JD Powers quote from Bob Lutz.

Now, what about "reliability"? Along with "resale value", these are the last of the excuses to buy Toyota or Honda over a Buick or a Chevy.

So for instance, does anyone know where one can find engine life data? For instance, industry predictions of how the engine and tranny of a 2004 Chevy Malibu will stack up against a 2004 Toyota Camry or Honda Accord? We can't go by old "pre-turnaround" mid 1990's GM car/truck data.....or can we?

GM has bled the JD Powers Initial Quality thing pretty dry recently, but last I checked, I believe JD Powers own "reliability" survey for long term vehicles didn't bode well for GM's older, admittedly less reliable than the 3.5L --- 3.4L (argh! being used in Equinox! :angry:) powered cars, or something.... What else could be the problem? Faulty cheap fuel pumps and other little components? We know the 3800 is pretty darned reliable. Knocking sounds coming from the Suburban/Silverado V8s has been reported...

I guess my question is, aside from redesigning its engine lineup (except in the Equinox - I had to get that jab in there again) - what is GM doing to improve "reliability"? Do you think that improved variations on the 3.4L (the 3.5L and 3.9L OHV) engine are enough to improve reliability significantly? Or are we talking another 20,000 miles? How about Northstar reliabilty? The Ecotec as compared to Honda/Toyota 4-cyl. engines?

Or is reliability more about window regulators going out and door handles falling off? I know someone with a 3.1 or 3.4L powered mid 90's Monte Carlo (Lumina) that is leaking oil all over the place, but is otherwise reliable.

What do you think? Is it just a "wait and see?" That's hardly a way to get people into GM dealerships NOW.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Well, I personaly have not had any problem with GM engines, nor have I heard of any real problems that havent been fixed. You had the LS1 oil consumption and pistion slap, but that was fixed by 00-01 models. The Vortec problem must have been realy small cause this is the 2nd time Ive heard of it in about 2 days. I think that imports go with a tighter clearances with teh mm measurement, therefor make more precise parts for the engines and less things go wrong. With all the new High Feature and High Value motors, and the Gen IV SBC's, GM is only going to have to improve.

and why is this in the competition room?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I started writing it, I was thinking of comparing reliabilty to the competition. But I guess it turned out to be a post better for the Lounge. :D

·
Registered
710 Posts
We sold a Corsica with the 3.1 that was over 10 years old
and had ~130K miles on the odometer and it ran like a top.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts