·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acura Could Get HR-V Variant

www.caranddriver.com
February 4, 2015
By: Joe Lorio

Acura in recent years has become an SUV maker that has a side business in cars. Its MDX and RDX crossovers (updated versions of which are debuting at the Chicago auto show) far outsell any of its passenger cars. Now comes word that the brand may add another crossover to its stable. Interviewed by WardsAuto at the recent Automotive News World Conference, American Honda executive vice president John Mendel says that Acura is looking at a doing compact crossover based on the new Honda HR-V.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/acura-could-get-hr-v-variant/
X-Ray Specs: 2016 Acura MDX Gets 9-Speed Trans, Electronic Gimcrackery

www.caranddriver.com
February 3, 2015
By: Davey G. Johnson

Strangely, going from a six-speed to a nine-speed gearbox does not improve fuel economy. In the front-wheel-drive model, the EPA ratings drop from 20/28 mpg city/highway to 19/27 mpg. With all-wheel drive, the EPA figures are 18/26 mpg, versus 18/27 mpg previously. In both cases, however, a newly available idle-stop feature bumps the city rating up by 1 mpg.

Inside, all trim levels receive a frameless rearview mirror, Apple’s Siri Eyes Free voice recognition, and a driver’s seat that retreats 1.4 inches to aid ingress and egress when the door is opened. Add Acura’s Tech package and receive a multiview rear camera capable of detecting cross traffic behind you, lane-keeping assist/lane-departure warning, and a forward-collision warning system that can recognize pedestrians.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/x-ray-specs-2016-acura-mdx-gets-9-speed-trans-electronic-gimcrackery/
It is highly odd that the move to the 9AT is actually lowering the MDX's fuel economy, although it was something for which I'd been advocating as soon as it was announced on the TLX V-6s. Either way, good to see Acura keeping the MDX up to date. The "Acura HR-V" is another item I've been saying Acura could use. C&D suggests the 2.4L, but instead I think either a high-output version of the upcoming 1.5T or the 2.0T are better options, and it should have either the 8-speed twin-clutch or the 9AT; the CVT, 5AT, and 6ATs that other Hondas use should be irrelevant in a vehicle with upscale ambitions. I'd also really like to see this compact crossover use SH-AWD as an option to properly Acura-ize it. And while I'm dreaming, maybe a 270+ horsepower Type-S version?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I'm glad to see Acura re-entering the sub-compact CUV class again. Albeit a bit polarizing in it's styling I always thought the 1st gen RDX was a "right size" vehicle for someone who wanted something smaller, pseudo luxurious, and powerful with the 2.3T it was packing. I think the 9AT should become the new standard across the Acura line-up. Maybe a software update or 2 will cure the mileage drop in the MDX.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
So wait... The new transmission has more speeds and it's lighter than the old unit and it has worse fuel economy?

Reactions: mchicha

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
It's the same 9-speed ZF unit that has been giving the Jeep Cherokee grief, so it doesn't really surprise me.
It's a nice transmission, it's the programming that's messed up. Honda's programing is not the best either, some say that it's even worst than Chrysler's programing. I think the best one is the one in the Range Rover Evoque, shame it's attached to a British vehicle.

·
Registered
19,351 Posts
That's a real head scratcher with the 9 speed getting worse mpg's. I wonder if it was a surprise to Honda??? For a company that prides itself on it's technical prowess this is a huge embarrassment.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
That's a real head scratcher with the 9 speed getting worse mpg's. I wonder if it was a surprise to Honda??? For a company that prides itself on it's technical prowess this is a huge embarrassment.
Disagree. Their auto 6 speed is a huge embarrassment. In normal Drive, it has the most random downshifts if you're wide open throttle. Braking in city driving sometimes results in a weird downshift, and unless the acceleration or deceleration is very gradual, it often feels like it's hunting.

Sport mode eliminates those problems, but still.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Disagree. Their auto 6 speed is a huge embarrassment. In normal Drive, it has the most random downshifts if you're wide open throttle. Braking in city driving sometimes results in a weird downshift, and unless the acceleration or deceleration is very gradual, it often feels like it's hunting.

Sport mode eliminates those problems, but still.
The 6-speed is crisp but can be a bit balky at times. The 9-speed when tuned by AHM and backed to the 3.5L V6 is a sweet combo, and massively smoother. Despite people talking about hesitation, etc. it's not reality, and it's just a very smooth setup that gets the VTEC V6 power down well.

Chrysler is running into problems due to their programming, just as GM did back when vehicles like the Lambda's came out with the new FWD 6-speed and the first model year or two they offered constant new flash updates as customer feedback came in and they kept tweeking it.

Honda/Acura did a proper job with the 9-speed and it's not as instantaneous as the 8-speed dual clutch, but well tuned regardless.

It's bizarre that the lighter newer SH-AWD rear diff and 9-speed plus idle stop made mileage go down...something is weird here...but I don't believe it yet. The MDX as it is now with the old 6-speed easily gets its AWD 27 mpg highway and FWD 28 mpg+, without trying too hard. No other crossover this size comes even remotely close in mileage...and it continues to make the MDX stand out.

HR-V sized premium...cool. Would be a great addition, since the class is so popular.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Amazing what a little less internal BS and a little more external truth can produce is it not ?

Wonder if they cleaned up the octane requirements as well.......

In the real world ..... we shall see and that is not just with regard to mpgs.

That is an enormous transmission weight savings which would be even in larger if in comparison to the 8DCT especially if also TC equipped as the lighter variant already is .....and if properly built for the same torque delivery.

The other thing in the mix somehow is ..... once you go above 8 steps and eh .... a gear spread above some number starting with a 7 - so 7.xxx, it becomes a bunch more tricky to deal with AWD / 4WD and the like - including some of the now expected electronic nannies.

Just wait till we get the 'tens' and notice also btw, MB could not possibly go any slower with the 9G although that's about more than one thing ....

And lets get real here for a moment. Just how good are the OEMs - especially the Japanese OEMs and key Japanese parts suppliers with software ???

That's right - something less than a "0" although to be sure, and although they completely dominate the fail space, they are not entirely alone.......Also as a relevant example apparently in terms of safety critical systems and software the industry wide high water mark was achieved by old GM.... while all the massive and truly spectacular fails are owned by Denso ( and that's about a lot more than just software ) and Toyota. Of course many more than Toyota used / uses Denso software and uh, certain 'key sub assembly / product types.......

Emphasis btw, on " old ".

Like old Malibu versus say new Malibu although who knows.... maybe related to something else like .... say ..... an alternator or similar.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
The 6-speed is crisp but can be a bit balky at times. The 9-speed when tuned by AHM and backed to the 3.5L V6 is a sweet combo, and massively smoother. Despite people talking about hesitation, etc. it's not reality, and it's just a very smooth setup that gets the VTEC V6 power down well.

Chrysler is running into problems due to their programming, just as GM did back when vehicles like the Lambda's came out with the new FWD 6-speed and the first model year or two they offered constant new flash updates as customer feedback came in and they kept tweeking it.

Honda/Acura did a proper job with the 9-speed and it's not as instantaneous as the 8-speed dual clutch, but well tuned regardless.

It's bizarre that the lighter newer SH-AWD rear diff and 9-speed plus idle stop made mileage go down...something is weird here...but I don't believe it yet. The MDX as it is now with the old 6-speed easily gets its AWD 27 mpg highway and FWD 28 mpg+, without trying too hard. No other crossover this size comes even remotely close in mileage...and it continues to make the MDX stand out.

HR-V sized premium...cool. Would be a great addition, since the class is so popular.
I'm going to take all that info like a grain of salt, since you have a picture of an Acura as your Avatar...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
It's a nice transmission, it's the programming that's messed up. Honda's programing is not the best either, some say that it's even worst than Chrysler's programing. I think the best one is the one in the Range Rover Evoque, shame it's attached to a British vehicle.
Well in that case, at least you know it won't get worn out.

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
I get the feeling that 8-9 gears is the LIMIT for FE gains and it is getting to be a BIGGER struggle to balance the FE "needs" VS the DRIVERS WANTS/expectations

·
Registered
787 Posts
The reason is that the motor will be tuned for better performance than for fuel economy. Acura wants to be known as a "performance" brand again.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
It's the same 9-speed ZF unit that has been giving the Jeep Cherokee grief, so it doesn't really surprise me.
A coworker (in Canada) has a new Cherokee with 1700 km s on it; transmission is causing big headaches. He's not optimistic.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
A coworker (in Canada) has a new Cherokee with 1700 km s on it; transmission is causing big headaches. He's not optimistic.
I read an article the other day that mentioned a third software upgrade for the Cherokee's transmission. That's incredible (not in a good way).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts