GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A common thing on truck chassis is rust, And that's something you do not want! I always wondered why isn't truck chassis Galvanised......It would be something that wont rust and its stronger than aluminum. I think this galvanised truck chassie idea could be something that the gm pickups could use in their next generation along with aluminum exterior. By putting a truck on a galvanised chassis and with aluminum panels this would result in a corrosion resistant truck basically, the only thing would rust would be some components.
Anyone think this could be a good idea to result in a whole better truck for the customers????
If anyone could tell my why isn't this idea taken yet?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Aluminum corrodes though. We traded a Chrysler 300 in on our present car and they would not take it in with the corroded wheels. It was 6 years old and had less than 22k miles on it and the oem wheels were junk. I hunted up a set of nearly new oem take-offs to make the deal.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
With as long as galvanizing has been around, I would think the automakers have looked into it, and for one reason or another they rejected it. Dipping an entire frame would be a lot more costly for sure, that's the biggest reason I can see. I personally don't like galvanizing, but I'm looking at it from an restorer's point of view, mainly the extensive galvanization used in the body of the 66 Mustang I restored, and repairing/welding that galvanized steel was not pleasant (which still wasn't rust free might I add).

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
This is why I love living in the south. My trucks don't rust. :p:

Reactions: GHull3

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Galvanized steel weighs a bunch more than aluminum, and fuel economy improvements are looming.

Not sure why it hasn't been used in the past, but I do know welding galvanized steel releases harmful stuff into the air.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
You'd think they could just powder coat the frames or do a better job of powder coating the frames.
This. GM need to start powdercoating their frames. Their pickups are already expensive enough to justify this.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Reactions: GMTruckGuy74

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Does GM really have a rust problem with their frames? And I'm not talking about a little surface rust.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Does GM really have a rust problem with their frames? And I'm not talking about a little surface rust.
No more so than Ford or Chrysler. They all rust.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

The issue only appears in areas where the protective wax peels or is rubbed off. Its all just surface rust. Its a matter of appearance and people get all worked up about it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts