GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Dude, Mountainman, did you take the pic or something. Chill out. Lurk somewhere else.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Originally posted by GM_Guy81@Jun 16 2004, 08:51 PM
Dude, Mountainman, did you take the pic or something. Chill out. Lurk somewhere else.
Well let's see, if you read what the *founder* of this site wrote a few posts ago, you'll understand.

"Before anyone gets a wad up their butt about the picture being gone....the guy who asked that the picture be taken down had good reason to. When you sit out in the desert all day waiting for a picture like that you should have the right to sell it and make whatever money you can off it. Putting it on this site for free would diminish any value it has..."

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
not if the picture is already sold, which I'm assuming it is because it was on another web site. The profit has already been made unless the copyright holder intends to sell it to multiple outlets, which is possible.

You didnt answer my question though Mountainman, are you the copyright holder? If so, you have cause, if not, take the stick out of your ***.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Dude, I don't see what the big deal is with the picture anyway (I saw it), it's not like it revealed much; all it showed was that it was a four-door sedan with a profile roughly like that of a current Impala covered in camouflage - big deal <_<.

Back to the V8 question.

Whether it's a 4.8L or a 5.3L, has either been used in a car before? Would there be anything special to deal with in the transition from truck/SUV to car use? Even though the use of a V8 in a FWD configuration has been done before I've always looked at the idea with a ****ed eyebrow :huh:. I don't think it was GM's intent to make next-gen Impala with a FWD V8.

Also, how could anyone (Saabr, I'm looking in your general direction ;)) compare a 2000 or newer Impala to a Crown Victoria whose design lineage dates back to 1979? The Impala and Crown Vic aren't even in the same size class. The only reason why Ford hasn't changed the Crown Victoria to any significant degree in the past several years to attract the average consumer is because fleet sales don't justify it. Of the some 78,000 Crown Victorias sold last year the vast majority were fleet sales, but, that's finally going to change next year (if things stay on schedule) when Ford will introduce its replacement for the Crown Victoria: the 2006 Ford Fairlane. Little is known about the car at this time but it will be based on the DEW98 platform or one of its derivatives and will continue the RWD V8 tradition of the Corwn Victoria. I think this is worth mentioning since the Fairlane and a future RWD V8 Impala are likely competitors.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Damnit I always get to the forum after the pic gets taken down... Argh!
I am going over to NSAPs house so I can see the pic. Oh wait I live in MI

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
More info, more info, more info, PLEASE!

Something official from GM!

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by jwvrod@Jun 17 2004, 03:57 PM
As for the Impala, it is in need of a new interior and tail light change. Badly.
man, i have to feel for automotive designers. i love the impala tailights, especially without the body-colored panel. and yet many people don't. must be frustrating trying to please everyone.

all they have to do is make the next impala rwd and fwd and awd, and change the taillights and leave them the same, and make sure it has a bench seat and bucket seats, along with change the exterior totally but not change it too much, and lower the cost and add content... yowza! guess they have to aim to please the most people possible, though they'll never catch everyone.

·
Registered
316 Posts
nice drawing but it reminds me way too much of the last generation of large chrysler cars. sleek, but not going to stand out.

by the way paul, if you love the taillights, it obviously means you have terrible taste in automotive design ;) ha, just kidding...but seriously, those things look ridiculously cheap. i think the design needs to be classic without being retro, much like the new 300C. build the car more muscular and upright looking. i'm not saying to copy the 300 obviously, but to draw from the same time of idea and inspiration.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Always thought the back end would look nice with the SS / Appearance package cover over the taillights, but with clear taillights. Wonder what that would look like?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
My neighbor works at a Chevy dealer, and he brought home and Impala LSX for a few days. I'd never heard of it, and he didn't know too much about. I'm wondering if it is a regional (Michigan) package.

It had the polished spoke wheels that are optional on Impalas now, a different grill, and the reflective panel was completely removed from the trunk lid. The only thing on the lid were the two small backup lights all by themselves. The outer taillights were stock, I think, but it really gave it a different look. It also had a lower spoiler, touching the lid all the way across instead of sticking up on supports like the usual LS spoiler.

All in all, it was the best looking latest-gen Impala I've seen. I was going to go out and take some pics, but never got around too it.

Has anyone else seen an Impala LSX?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488+Jun 17 2004, 04:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paul8488 @ Jun 17 2004, 04:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jwvrod@Jun 17 2004, 03:57 PM
As for the Impala, it is in need of a new interior and tail light change. Badly.
man, i have to feel for automotive designers. i love the impala tailights, especially without the body-colored panel. and yet many people don't. must be frustrating trying to please everyone.

all they have to do is make the next impala rwd and fwd and awd, and change the taillights and leave them the same, and make sure it has a bench seat and bucket seats, along with change the exterior totally but not change it too much, and lower the cost and add content... yowza! guess they have to aim to please the most people possible, though they'll never catch everyone. [/b][/quote]
This is a great comment.

So often people comment about vehicles without considering that every car can not be everything to everyone. That is why there are so many different models available.

From a business standpoint, it just all about profitability. Like over in the GTO/Aztek discussion. Who cares how many GTOs sell as long as they sell for a profit and quite frankly, only GM bean counters know that information.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Originally posted by Smaart Aas Saabr@Jun 16 2004, 08:48 PM
A RWD with a V8 car would obviously bring car guys like us smiles, but the average person is not willing to pay for it at the pump.
Tell that to Chrysler, which from what I hear is having pretty good success with the 300C with the Hemi option.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Originally posted by MelvinJ@Jun 17 2004, 11:34 AM
My neighbor works at a Chevy dealer, and he brought home and Impala LSX for a few days.  I'd never heard of it, and he didn't know too much about.  I'm wondering if it is a regional (Michigan) package.

It had the polished spoke wheels that are optional on Impalas now, a different grill, and the reflective panel was completely removed from the trunk lid.  The only thing on the lid were the two small backup lights all by themselves.  The outer taillights were stock, I think, but it really gave it a different look.  It also had a lower spoiler, touching the lid all the way across instead of sticking up on supports like the usual LS spoiler.

All in all, it was the best looking latest-gen Impala I've seen.  I was going to go out and take some pics, but never got around too it.

Has anyone else seen an Impala LSX?
SLP came out with the Impala LSX and the Monte Carlo LSX. There was a site with prices and products for these models a couple years ago but I can't seem to locate it now. Perhaps they don't offer the variants anymore. The upgrades were expensive and there wasn't a whole lot of performance goodies bolted on as well. I think they offered their Cat-Back exhaust and their Cold-Air box in a package...stages they called them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree that the current Impala/Monte Carlo interiors need a redesign badly; particularly the seats. I can't believe that I build these damn things day in and day out.

Hey GM: Let's have some exciting seats for once! Enough with these horrible so-called "buckets". Get some serious lumbar support and deep cushions. The current design just doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think if GM/Chevy would dress up the interior a little more, like cover the exposed screw heads everywhere and add some nice seats like Willy_ph said they'd pull in a bigger audience than they already are.
I have to agree with Ming too. Take that Rickhunter sketch and build it on the W body with an optional V8. That would ROCK!

I don't mind the rear tail-lights. They are kind of retro, but the big red plastic strip between them has to go. The SS option didn't really help there much either.
Just keep it simple.....even if it is a touch retro.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.