MkK- mid size 4 door coupe
some sports cars
some crossovers(MkX remains FWD)
crossover coupe

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have some sort of source on this or are you just kind of throwing this out there?
Ok so the Mustang was confirmed to go on this platform. Taurus is going rwd according to wesocent/igor. Autoblog posted an acticle saying that the Falcon and Taurus will be the same. Ford has even said that it plans to make a return with the Thunderbrd. MkR is definite after the concept was so well recieved. If the Taurus is going RWD, then its platform mate will as well.

And I forgot one

Territory for Aust.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
imho (& that's all it is)
think you're mostly accurate, Ausrutherford
well it goes from being on hold to on every month, something says to me they are just saying it.
Agree^
Imho a LOT of what I'm hearing/reading is obfuscation on Ford's part & worry-warting mainly from down-under (can't really blame them)

I'd just like to add:
HRL (not much bigger than a Mustang), the Continental (MKC? ...no more MucK-Names I pray!!!), TouringCar (TownCar replacement/flagship, a bit larger than the MKS) and companion "GTV" [GrandTouringVehicle] like a Rwd MKT-concept, and a more svelte Über-car to take Lincoln to ULS/Sixteen turf.
&
probably-switch:
that Taurus/Falcon combo to "something-else"/Fairlane
believe the Falcon will be built in AU with no direct NA counterpart (other than the the HRL coupe)
but the Fairlane will get sent there from NA and have a non-FordBrand 'partner' here (tho that could be Fairlane=decontented-Connie)
&
What's a MAVERICK going to be? :confused:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Ok so the Mustang was confirmed to go on this platform. Taurus is going rwd according to wesocent/igor. Autoblog posted an acticle saying that the Falcon and Taurus will be the same. Ford has even said that it plans to make a return with the Thunderbrd. MkR is definite after the concept was so well recieved. If the Taurus is going RWD, then its platform mate will as well.

And I forgot one

Territory for Aust.
The problem is that the Taurus is not going RWD. The new cafe regs won't let it. They effectively killed the chance of future RWD sedans outside of the luxury brands who will pay the extra taxes. The Taurus SHO/ST will be AWD with a twin turbo DI 3.5L Ecoboost V6 to deliver performance but keep Ford's average fuel economy up. As for the territory, I can see it merging with the next explorer.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imho (& that's all it is)
think you're mostly accurate, Ausrutherford
Agree^
Imho a LOT of what I'm hearing/reading is obfuscation on Ford's part & worry-warting mainly from down-under (can't really blame them)

I'd just like to add:
HRL (not much bigger than a Mustang), the Continental (MKC? ...no more MucK-Names I pray!!!), TouringCar (TownCar replacement/flagship, a bit larger than the MKS) and companion "GTV" [GrandTouringVehicle] like a Rwd MKT-concept, and a more svelte Über-car to take Lincoln to ULS/Sixteen turf.
&
probably-switch:
that Taurus/Falcon combo to "something-else"/Fairlane
believe the Falcon will be built in AU with no direct NA counterpart (other than the the HRL coupe)
but the Fairlane will get sent there from NA and have a non-FordBrand 'partner' here (tho that could be Fairlane=decontented-Connie)
&
What's a MAVERICK going to be? :confused:
A Maverick would be a 5 seater Muscle Car, wider and a little longer than the Mustang. It would be like the Maverick of old, Novas, etc. One bad selling point of the Stangis only 4 seater and this would provide a stop gap between the Mustang and the Taurus Coupe.

BTW, the Fairlane in Australia was pretty much just a lwb Falcon and I would not be against it being offered here. Though I like "Galaxie" better. COOL NAME! But Taurus and the next Falcon will be pretty much te same car to save costs just like the Fusion and Mondeo. Falcon of course will be built there and Taurus in Chicago.

And the MkC can have a lwb model like your touring car. lincoln would have the MkS going up against the E-class and 5-series and the MkC going against the S-class and 7-series. Keep the MkT FWD just like MkX and add a 7 seat RWD crossover MkA (Aviator) and 5 seat RWD MkB.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem is that the Taurus is not going RWD. The new cafe regs won't let it. They effectively killed the chance of future RWD sedans outside of the luxury brands who will pay the extra taxes. The Taurus SHO/ST will be AWD with a twin turbo DI 3.5L Ecoboost V6 to deliver performance but keep Ford's average fuel economy up. As for the territory, I can see it merging with the next explorer.
Territory will always be RWD, because AUST oves RWD. According to Igor and Wescoent, which I said before, The Taurus will move to RWD for my12 and will be the Falcon in Aust. Territory, Everest, and Explorer will be all different. Territory will be for Australia and south Africa. Everest for South Asia and Explorer for everywhere else.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O and I also forgot

Mazda:
7-Full size sedan
8-Full size 4 door coupe
MX-8-2 door 5 seat sports car

Volvo:
S100-RWD Full size sedan
V90- Full size wagon
C100- convertible
XC90- XC of V90 (current crossver goes o XC80)
XC100- Full size crossover (GL-Class)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The rear-drive market in Australia is rapidly dwindling. Look for the Falcon to be replaced by FWD imports.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I do not know why everybody is against RWD on the mileage issue.

I guess it has nothing to do with RWD or FWD. Look at BMW, all there car are RWD and they got pretty good mileage.

Ford need to get their ecoboost engine ready and this could work on a RWD.

My wisk is that the next generation fusion/mondeo will not be bigger than this one in order to let some room for a new fuel efficient RWD taurus.

the merge between the falcon and the taurus is so obvious for me. Even the territory and the explorer should merge, not next gen in 2010 because they are already engineered but the generation after.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do not know why everybody is against RWD on the mileage issue.

I guess it has nothing to do with RWD or FWD. Look at BMW, all there car are RWD and they got pretty good mileage.

Ford need to get their ecoboost engine ready and this could work on a RWD.

My wisk is that the next generation fusion/mondeo will not be bigger than this one in order to let some room for a new fuel efficient RWD taurus.

the merge between the falcon and the taurus is so obvious for me. Even the territory and the explorer should merge, not next gen in 2010 because they are already engineered but the generation after.
Only problem is the Terrritory is a RWD crossover. I think the Aust would like it if it went FWD like the Explorer. The Territory is due for a facelift next year and then wil be followed with a all new one in MY13/14.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Taurus, Falcon, Thunderbird, Cougar, and Maverick. All RWD, and all back in the States. It sounds too good to be true.
The Falcon and Taurus will be the same car, just named differnetly because where they are sold. The Thunderbird is on. The Cougar and Maverick is just hoping that someone at Ford is smart enough to bring back good nameplates!

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I would like to see a modern day Mercury Cyclone in addition to a new retro looking Cougar on the same platform as the Mustang! :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts