GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next-Gen Mazda CX-5 Expected To Be Based On RWD Platform And Have An Inline Six Engine
BY BRAD ANDERSON
DECEMBER 1, 2020
carscoops.com

The next-generation Mazda CX-5 will reportedly venture further up the premium vehicle market and debut with a new platform and new engines.

According to a report from ***an’s Best Car Web, the new Mazda CX-5 will supposedly compete with the likes of the Mercedes-Benz GLC and BMW X3 and be underpinned by the same rear-wheel drive platform as the next-generation Mazda6.

Thanks to this new platform, the SUV could be offered with two variants of the new inline-six engine being developed by Mazda. The first could be a 3.0-liter unit using Mazda’s SkyActiv-X technology and complete with a 48-volt mild-hybrid system while the second could be a diesel 3.3-liter inline-six.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
If the current CX-9 had offered a 6cyl engine in mostly any form I would have bought one,but since it only offered a 4cyl it was an unfortunate pass for me.

It is however, good to hear about the inline 6 going into a RWD based CX-5. Too bad Mrs.Buttons won't be in the market for this or its bigger sibling by the time this rolls out she is far too uppity now.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
If the current CX-9 had offered a 6cyl engine in mostly any form I would have bought one,but since it only offered a 4cyl it was an unfortunate pass for me.

It is however, good to hear about the inline 6 going into a RWD based CX-5. Too bad Mrs.Buttons won't be in the market for this or its bigger sibling by the time this rolls out she is far too uppity now.
You didn't like the turbo I4? It isn't a screamer by any stretch, it's about as close to a diesel that you can get with a regular gasoline engine...not in terms of clatter, but in terms of how low down in the powerband it puts out power. Like I said before, I've had my GTR 6 for 1.5 years now and I can't tell you what the engine sounds like.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Nice to hear. Inline 6s are excellent engine designs. I had one in my 280ZX and my wife currently drives one in her X3.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
You didn't like the turbo I4? It isn't a screamer by any stretch, it's about as close to a diesel that you can get with a regular gasoline engine...not in terms of clatter, but in terms of how low down in the powerband it puts out power. Like I said before, I've had my GTR 6 for 1.5 years now and I can't tell you what the engine sounds like.
Nope...pass..at close to $50k I want a 6cyl engine. Yeah the torque on that TI4 is impressive,but I don't want the 4cyl buzz in a vehicle that I'm paying that much for(which these days is the norm).

I might as well get a Model Y (no 4cyl engine buzz or engine at all).

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
I don't understand the references to a diesel version of the I6 - while their I4 diesels have a dire reputation for reliability in Europe, they simply aren't in a position to go head to head with the big premium brands, not in Europe anyway - and diesel is such a small niche in North America with no future in cars there.

·
Premium Member
32,703 Posts
We all know how successful the RWD offerings are. There is no future there. The Future for car companies is in electric drive, as much as I hate it

·
Registered
16,587 Posts
While I'm really interested in seeing these, I expect really good looks, performance and great reviews, but I don't see them doing very well on the sales floor. As mbukukanyau and Ruperts Trooper noted it feels like they are building vehicles that people were asking for 10+ years ago. They've been planning on going upscale for a long time, this feels like they made a plan 20 years ago and are sticking with it even though the market has drastically changed.

And are people willing to shell out luxury car prices with a Mazda label on them?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,409 Posts
It seems Mazda has always been playing second fiddle in the market when compared to Toyota or Honda much like Nissan at times. I quite frankly don't expect this to move the needle that much for them because they need to get the people to recognize them as being different than they are/were and that takes time.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
We all know how successful the RWD offerings are. There is no future there. The Future for car companies is in electric drive, as much as I hate it
This will bridge the gap until that happens. Its going to be a while yet.

And are people willing to shell out luxury car prices with a Mazda label on them?
TBD. I think they can get Buick/entry Lexus pricing. Not sure they can go much higher than that, UNLESS they knock their new product out of the ballpark.

It seems Mazda has always been playing second fiddle in the market when compared to Toyota or Honda much like Nissan at times. I quite frankly don't expect this to move the needle that much for them because they need to get the people to recognize them as being different than they are/were and that takes time.
I already like the Mazda product more than the Acura lineup, so never say never.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,409 Posts
This will bridge the gap until that happens. Its going to be a while yet.

TBD. I think they can get Buick/entry Lexus pricing. Not sure they can go much higher than that, UNLESS they knock their new product out of the ballpark.

I already like the Mazda product more than the Acura lineup, so never say never.
I can say the same here. There's absolutely nothing in the Acura lineup that has me even remotely interested in it.

·
Registered
12,657 Posts
While I'm really interested in seeing these, I expect really good looks, performance and great reviews, but I don't see them doing very well on the sales floor. As mbukukanyau and Ruperts Trooper noted it feels like they are building vehicles that people were asking for 10+ years ago. They've been planning on going upscale for a long time, this feels like they made a plan 20 years ago and are sticking with it even though the market has drastically changed.

People already are

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,409 Posts
But not enough to significantly move the needle today, these would have been great cars ten years ago. but today with so much electrification on the way, it just looks like playing to a very limited audience, a niche within a niche.
They're trying to get in on a supposed last hurrah maybe.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It's one of these cars that I'm glad are being made, but that I won't be buying. And I think the market is all going to these subcompact poop-box 'Suvs' rather than something cool like this. Also think there's a genuine off road SUV that Mazda might have made with this, but instead they are making a kind of two box sport sedan.

I was thinking this recently about the Explorer. It could have essentially contained the "Bronco" within it, as the 90's Explorer was a genuine off roader that has been lost since they went to front drive. Seems like Ford could've had a more universal body design that could be a "Durango" muscle-utility as well as a 4x4.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts