GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, when's the next-gen Malibu arriving on EpII? I've heard 2010 and 2012. 2010's been a common theme here on this site (but makes no sense since they just redesigned it last year), and I think Motortrend said 2012. Wikipedia agrees.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Okay, when's the next-gen Malibu arriving on EpII? I've heard 2010 and 2012. 2010's been a common theme here on this site (but makes no sense since they just redesigned it last year), and I think Motortrend said 2012. Wikipedia agrees.
Fall 2010 as a 2011 model.Also the next Pontiac G6 will be a rebadge of the Epsilon II Malibu.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I am eagerly awaiting for this upgrade. The Malibu is a good car but doesn't have some features, which can turn off some customers. The EpII upgrade should hopefully give the Malibu everything it should have.

BTW lam, are you an insider informant?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
2011 makes sense with the cruze coming out for 2011 how about the impala 2012 and any info about the next Aveo?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am eagerly awaiting for this upgrade. The Malibu is a good car but doesn't have some features, which can turn off some customers. The EpII upgrade should hopefully give the Malibu everything it should have.

BTW lam, are you an insider informant?
What are the upgrades and features that you are saying it will have? Navigation? What else?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Found this on Motor Trend General forum (Last paragraph)
http://forums.motortrend.com/70/6542580/the-general-forum/chevys-ss-rebirth/index.html2011

Malibu (Malibu LTZ Sedan Shown)

Trim Levels
Base: LS
Mid-level: LT, Hybrid
Up-level: LTZ
Sport: Malibu Sport
Body Styles
Sedan, Convertible, Coupe, Wagon

Introduction

The introduction of the new 2008 Malibu is a significant milestone for Chevrolet and GM's turnaround. There finally is a Chevrolet midsize sedan capable of being compared with the best of it’s foreign competition and playing right up there in the segment’s top tier. The Malibu is a very important vehicle for Chevrolet, as it’s market segment is one that holds some of America’s best selling vehicles. Also, most of GM's volume in this segment rests on the shoulders of the Malibu. The current Malibu is based on the Epsilon I platform, which has a few handicaps that will be done away with on the next generation version of the platform. It has been said that the next generation of these cars is truly the time that GM puts it’s weight behind an all-out assault on the mid-size market. This in mind, we present to you what we feel is a class leading look at what the next generation EPIII Malibu could be like.

Chevrolet is all about choice, and we take that to heart in our proposed Malibu lineup. In this RIA, the Malibu line is expanded from just a single sedan to a 3 car lineup; convertible, coupe and wagon. A true “Malibu Family”, almost a brand within itself, the Malibu line will be a powerful force in the market and provide better economies of scale for the Epsilon II platform. Exterior size remains relatively the same, and the pricing scale broadens as the Malibu makes moves both up and down the market.

Inside, the Malibu continues the two tone theme started with the 2008, and goes for a completely modern center stack, fully integrated and with a new switchgear layout. Radio controls are moved to the touch screen navigation system, with and color LCD screen (minus navigation) standard on every 2011 Malibu. Voice controls for the navigation, HVAC and radio are standard as well, in a bid to solidify it’s position as a class leading entry. HVAC is controlled through the center stack’s buttons, with the settings displayed on the LCD screen. GM’s latest efforts in interior lighting are sustained with LED lighting all along the bottom of the center stack, illuminating the footwells at night. The Malibu makes a class leading attempt at mid-size market leadership, inside and out.

Following a mantra of Value and Choice, the Malibu trim lineup expands as well, offering more choice and options then ever before. Starting out at a lowered asking price of $18,950, LS comes standard with a 2.4L185HP ECOTEC 4 and a 5 speed manual transmission. Next is the ever popular LT, which moves you up to a 2.4L 185 HP ECOTEC 4 and an standard 6 speed automatic transmission. A model for the environmentally-conscious, the Malibu Hybrid comes with a smaller displacement 2.0L 150 HP ECOTEC 4 and the next generation BAS+ hybrid system, starting at $23,950. Following the mantra of choice, is a new addition, the LTZ 4 model. This provides buyers an option to get a fully loaded Malibu with a 4 cylinder engine, and starts at $24,650. Starting at $27,950 is the LTZ V6 model, with GM‘s new (it‘s in the works now) 3.0L 295HP HF V6 with Direct Injection. This setup provides better fuel economy and gets more power out of a smaller displacement engine. Giving a dose of sportiness to the Malibu line is the SS model, with the 3.6L bumped to 325HP and asking price of $31,250. Optional on this model is a 6-speed manual, adding the thrill of rowing your own gears to the family sedan.

As has been said before, every bit of news and information has pointed to an all-out GM assault on the mid-size market with the next generation EPII platform, and most specifically with the Malibu. What that will mean? Time is yet to tell. In the meantime we have look at possibilities for the future with this Revitalization in Action, and also excellent product available right now, with the 2008 Malibu. Following the short expected time on market for the 2008 model, our proposed Malibu is launched at the Detroit show in 2010, with a launch in Spring of the same year as a 2011 model.

Specifications Sheet

Vehicle Type: Midsize FWD 5 Passenger Sedan 4-door Sedan, Midsize 4 Passenger Convertible/Coupe, Mid-Size 5 passenger Wagon
Size Comparison: 2008 Malibu
Competitors: Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima
Base Platform: Epsilon II
Drive Wheels: FWD (Standard: LS/LT/LTZ/), AWD (Standard: SS Optional: LT/LTZ)
Engines:
LS: 2.4L 185HP ECOTEC 4 - Starting at $18,950
LT: 2.4L 185HP ECOTEC 4 - Starting at $21,950
Hybrid: 2.0L 150HP ECOTEC 4 w/BAS+ Hybrid System - Starting at $23,950
LTZ 4: 2.4L 185HP ECOTEC 4 - Starting at $24,650.
LTZ V6: 3.0L 295HP HF V6 w/DI - Starting at $27,950
SS: 3.6L 325HP HF V6 w/DI - Starting at $31,250
Transmissions: 5 speed Manual (Standard: LS, Optional: LT), 6 speed Manual (Optional: SS) 6 Speed Automatic (Optional: LS, Standard: LT/Hybrid/LTZ/SS)

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Will the next G6 be on the short version of the Epi II, as now. or the long version like the current Malibu?
Nope, the next Pontiac G6 will be a rebadge of the Epsilon II Malibu in the same way the Pontiac G5 is a rebadge of the Chevrolet Cobalt.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Ugh...dont tell me G6 will be a rebadge...please dont tell me that.
I heard rumors, but I dont want to belive it. I cant belive it.

Next gen Malibu will look similar to teh current one, just an evolutionary design, which IMO is a good idea. Worked for Cam/Cord for nearly two decades.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I kinda doubt the G6 will be an exact rebadge, maybe similar shape and structure, but probably different body panels, lights, front/rear fascias. Just like how the Enclave/Traverse are related, but at the same time, neither one looks very similar to the other except for some small details.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Wow I didnt realize Chevy was steaming ahead with this car! They sound like they're on a very similar timetable to release cars here as Ford

2010- Taurus and Fiesta comes out, Malibu introduced
2011- Focus and Cruze enter market to battle it out- Malibu enters market in fall?
late 2012- New Mondeo/ Fusion merged car introduced

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think this is a sign that the Impala is soon to be dead. They're not going to invest in a new full-size car that actually has a shorter wheelbase than the Malibu.

I see this as Chev's car lineup in the future (excluding sports cars).

Cars:
Beat
Aveo
Cruze
Malibu

The only weak link right now is the Aveo, but that should be solved with the Gamma 2 platform.

·
Registered
93 Posts
why this car is so ugly ?!

the same thing with impala....
Impala should be great looking car !
Thats the way it always was.....
What they offer now looks like Hundai !! they should change name to Chevy "crapplooking" Umpala , Malubu !?

form the late 90- till now only Monte carlo tried to look interesting...at least there was an attempt to put some styling into Chevy car....

that 2 door "Cadillac eldorados and Monte carlo style" was sth interesting..
now , there's no american car that have hints of this design I think it started in middle 80-ties,
(buick regal, Monte carlo etc...
Modern interpretations of that style could be interesting design excersize

·
Registered
93 Posts
new Monte carlo SS ? could be a great Modern Muscle...
and very oryginal...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gm have a plans about this icon?

Chevy needs a good looking car

impala and malibu? -- they are ugly !

Impala should be great looking car !
Thats the way it always was.....
What they offer now looks like Hundai !! they should change name to Chevy "crapplooking" Umpala , Malubu !?

form the late 90- till now only Monte carlo tried to look interesting...at least there was an attempt to put some styling into Chevy car....

that 2 door "Cadillac eldorados and Monte carlo style" was sth interesting..
now , there's no american car that have hints of this design I think it started in middle 80-ties,
(buick regal, Monte carlo etc...
Modern interpretations of that style could be interesting design excersize

1 - 20 of 24 Posts