GM Inside News Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
You are correct--I meant RHD Opel. My post has been corrected.

My post, though, made a point that I have made here in previous posts. There will be no specially designed for Australia Holdens. Building Australia-specific cars offshore would more expensive than building them locally. That's because they still have to be floated halfway around the World to reach the Australian market

Despite what members of the GMInsider.com fan site see, GM reads sales charts. The sales charts [as of January 2017] show that Holden is Australia's No. 3 best selling brand behind Toyota and Mazda. The two top models sold in January 2017 were the Mazda 3 and the Toyota Corolla. The Holden Commodore recovered its No. 6 position after spending a few months at No. 7.

It is not credible to claim that Australia needs Holden to sell special cars while the Australia paying customer's two most popular purchases, the Corolla and Mazda 3, are as common as dirt. A discussion about which cars Holden should build or import ignores the changing Australian private vehicle market. Passenger cars are now fighting it out with pick-up trucks and CUVs for sales supremacy. The Toyota Hilux at No. 3 and the Ford Ranger at No. 4 both outsell the Commodore by a wide margin.

At No. 6 overall, the Commodore is Holden's most popular vehicle. However, Holden's other entries in the Top 25 are a pickup truck, the Holden Colorado (No. 11), and a CUV, the Holden Captiva (No. 15).

The biggest threat to the rebadged Opel/Vauxhall Insignia Commodore is not whether or not it lives up to the Zeta-based Commodore. The biggest threat is that it may be a beautiful midsize sedan at a time when the buying public has moved on to small cars, pickup trucks, and CUVs.

Explain the V6 AWD NG Commodore then

there are no Insignia with the V6

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts

It's the same with the last gen Astra. In Europe, the top engine was the 1.6T whereas the Buick Verano offers a 2.0T in NA and China. Only the Astra GTC in OPC trim level had one too, but it is a different engine to the one from Buick.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
It's the same with the last gen Astra. In Europe, the top engine was the 1.6T whereas the Buick Verano offers a 2.0T in NA and China. Only the Astra GTC in OPC trim level had one too, but it is a different engine to the one from Buick.
Europe had the 2.0 Bi-turbo diesel as well - more power than the 1.6T petrol with nearly double the torque.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Yes but the Verano was built in the US not shipped from Germany with an engine it doesn't use in Europe

My point is there are indeed special build models for Holden it's not just a matter of slapping a different badge on

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

Toto has already answered your question in Post No. 44. Although the Insignia will not offer a V6, the Buick Regal will. The Commodore is able to offer a V6 because the Insignia has been structurally engineered for Buick to accept a V6.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
If we got this exactly like it is, I'd definitely be in line for one.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Toto has already answered your question in Post No. 44. Although the Insignia will not offer a V6, the Buick Regal will. The Commodore is able to offer a V6 because the Insignia has been structurally engineered for Buick to accept a V6.
So they will then ship the regal halfway around the world ? :rolleyes:

Do you even read what you type sometimes?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
So they will then ship the regal halfway around the world ? :rolleyes:

Do you even read what you type sometimes?
The current Regal is assembled in North America. There is speculation that the next generation Regal may be assembled in Germany. The most recent speculation that I have seen was published in May 2016. However, I have seen nothing definitive to say that Regal assembly will remain in Canada or if it will move back to Germany.

As to your question--I do indeed read what I type.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
The current Regal is assembled in North America. There is speculation that the next generation Regal may be assembled in Germany. The most recent speculation that I have seen was published in May 2016. However, I have seen nothing definitive to say that Regal assembly will remain in Canada or if it will move back to Germany.

As to your question--I do indeed read what I type.
OK so lets assume for a minute that Germany will indeed manufacture the Regal and Holden V6 AWD models

AFAIK no german plant builds the 3.6 litre engine so that will be shipped from presumably a North American plant halfway round the world then shipped back to the US and Australia in a car

You've been on record in multiple threads how this is an unsustainable model with Holden V8 production so whats the difference?

Reactions: hq308

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
OK so lets assume for a minute that Germany will indeed manufacture the Regal and Holden V6 AWD models

AFAIK no german plant builds the 3.6 litre engine so that will be shipped from presumably a North American plant halfway round the world then shipped back to the US and Australia in a car

You've been on record in multiple threads how this is an unsustainable model with Holden V8 production so whats the difference?
Economies of scale.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts

Many brands spread their powertrain production around the world and then shipping them to where specific models are built - in decades past, huge numbers of Australian-built engines were shipped to Opel-Vauxhall in Europe.

Whether the Regal will share body panels with Insignia remains to be seen - if it does it would give economy of scale to have them built alongside the Insignia and Commodore by Opel.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Many brands spread their powertrain production around the world and then shipping them to where specific models are built - in decades past, huge numbers of Australian-built engines were shipped to Opel-Vauxhall in Europe.

Whether the Regal will share body panels with Insignia remains to be seen - if it does it would give economy of scale to have them built alongside the Insignia and Commodore by Opel.
Yep I realise all of this and Golf Bravos comment on economies of scale is also relevant

What i'm trying to get to is get a straight answer why its different for one plant to send (lets say its going to be less than 10k a year) engines from one plant to another halfway around the world then send them in a car to the other side of the world again to another one.

Regal production was quickly shifted to North America and I cant see the Trump administration taking too kindly to German production of a GM product when he goes off his nut over Mexican production

So I forsee one of a few scenarios happening

The AWD V6 model gets canned after one generation due to poor sales

Or it gets built in a North American plant

The second one seems totally stupid to me as there will be two plants supplying less than 25k per year production (assuming NG Commodore reaches 2/3 of current sales ) and shipping them halfway round the world.

All these vehicles with unique to market features and badging

Using Misters logic based on the SS Commodore shipped to the US it makes no sense at all to do this

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Regal production was quickly shifted to North America and I cant see the Trump administration taking too kindly to German production of a GM product when he goes off his nut over Mexican production
The plans were laid long before Trump became President.

I suspect the Regal wagon will last longer than Trump as president.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
The plans were laid long before Trump became President.

I suspect the Regal wagon will last longer than Trump as president.
Wha?

this has gone far beyond the Commodore Wagon thread lol

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

You are assuming facts not in evidence. You can't just fantasize a scenario and then try to escoriate someone else for your fantasy. Having said that, the reason to move Regal production back to Germany is that demand is too low to make North American production profitable. In that event, Buick won't be shipping V6s around the globe for long because the new Regal won't be around for long.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
You are assuming facts not in evidence. You can't just fantasize a scenario and then try to escoriate someone else for your fantasy. Having said that, the reason to move Regal production back to Germany is that demand is too low to make North American production profitable. In that event, Buick won't be shipping V6s around the globe for long because the new Regal won't be around for long.
:lmao:

It's so funny reading this

41 - 60 of 62 Posts