GM Inside News Forum banner

Next Explorer, Lincoln SUV to go RWD?

6K views 62 replies 39 participants last post by  NoStopN 
#1 ·
Exclusive: Lincoln’s Upcoming RWD Crossover
By Derek Kreindler on October 7, 2014

Thanks to TTAC‘s sources inside the Blue Oval (the same ones who scuttled rumors of a revived Ford GT), we can exclusively reveal that the long awaited RWD Lincoln is in the works, along with a Ford counterpart. But the newest rear-drive Blue Oval vehicle won’t be a sedan ala the Lincoln Continental or a Ford Falcon revival. It’s going to be a crossover.

On the surface, the idea of two rear-drive crossovers makes zero sense at all. Rear-wheel drive is now primarily used for enhanced driving dynamics, and a crossover isn’t exactly the kind of vehicle that stands to benefit from such a layout. But Ford has tried this before with the Australian market Territory (above) a vehicle that was widely lauded for its performance and practicality.

But a closer look at the dynamics of the auto market place shows that a new full-size sedan is a fool’s errand. The full-size market is shrinking with each year, as large crossovers take an increasing bite out of a once dominant segment. The next generation Ford Taurus is rumored to be dead in the water after it bombed a series of design clinics – instead, a large Ford sedan based on the Fusion’s CD platform will be built for the Chinese market, alongside Project GOBI, a large Lincoln sedan, akin to the MKS, but focused on Chinese tastes and sold world wide.

CONTINUE AT TTAC

Lincoln Wants a RWD Crossover?

We never knew that combination even existed.

Ford is now ready to invest even more in Lincoln as it continues to turn the struggling luxury brand into something relevant. It’s going to be an uphill battle, but the new MKC and MKZ are solid starts. Lincoln still needs new product, however, and according to an exclusive report coming from The Truth About Cars, one new model will be rear-wheel-drive. But don’t get too excited just yet because it’s not going to be a RWD sedan. Nor will it be a coupe based on the Mustang’s platform. No, we’re looking at a RWD crossover here. Really?

CONTINUE AT CARBUZZ.COM

See less See more
#2 ·
So much amazingly false information being peddled as truth by TTAC. These are the same guys that have been banned from using Ford's press fleet due to their gratuitously incendiary articles.

Reactions: sfbreh
#3 ·
1gen of fwd then back to rwd? i call bs

Reactions: megeebee
#5 ·
Lincoln could use all the help they could get. I doubt they're going to make the Explorer RWD. It basically competes against the Traverse/Enclave/Acadia triplets. RWD seems both unnecessary in such huge vehicles and it would take away packaging flexibility, which is a necessity in these minivan alternatives.

#14 ·
I could see a RWD Explorer, but I can't see it moving away from being Taurus-related.

Knowledgeable posters at Blue Oval News say the evidence indicates the next Taurus will be China only. I have my doubts about this RWD Explorer.
I have a hard time believing that, too.

The Taurus is no barn burner in sales here, but I doubt it would be China-only.

Shouldn't we find out about the new Taurus soon?

#13 ·
The current Explorer has been a huge success, partly (perhaps mainly) because it's on a car-based FWD chassis yet with a body that looks like a truck-based SUV. The lambdas look like the FWD crossovers that they are, which apparently sells well too. I don't believe for a minute that Ford will switch the Explorer back to RWD. They may come out with a larger RWD SUV but it won't be called Explorer any time soon.

#15 ·
It could conceivably be a RWD platform suited to both cars and crossovers.

RWD Ford car and SUV for Australia, RWD Ford car and SUV for America plus a RWD Lincoln SUV, RWD Ford car and SUV for China plus RWD Lincoln SUV and car for China? Possibly bring the car over the the US to supplement the Mustang-based car maybe ~8 years out?

#16 · (Edited)
Lets see I can play this guessing game....

We know next generation Expedition and Navigator will be RWD and Aluminum....
So why not an Explorer and Lincoln counter part based off a down sized Expedition and Navigator in Aluminum.....
Ford plants are made to facilitate more than one model per assembly line......
Conclusions it will be Aluminum and RWD.....

#17 ·
I have a hard time believing this as well. But as for the Taurus, I have a hard time believing that will be going away and being China only, that means then they would give up the police sedan market to Dodge and Chevy.

#18 ·
After 2016 when Chevy stops production of the Impala Limited and Caprice Chevy will have no police sedan either nor will they have a car for Nascar.

Reactions: richmond2000
#20 ·
and the FORD has way better room on the inside VS the outside dimensions

the death of the large car market has bean going on for a while and with "ONE ford" the Taurus is a ONE market odd ball it makes sense to "kill off" the Taurus
then after that FORD will have to make a chassis specifically for the Explorer BUT RWD still has little relation to OTHER chassis FORD have and going full frame would be even worse packaging wise then just RWD

look to the Tahoe VS lambda for "proof"

#22 ·
It's nonsense on so many levels.

Yes, Ford is considering a RWD Explorer and Aviator.

Yes, the next Lincoln MKS will be larger, more suitable for Chinese tastes, and possibly split into two models.

No, Ford is not dropping the Taurus. It's about to debut:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-ford-fusion-spy-photos-news

#25 ·
The usual reasons... economics.

Lincoln is of the (correct) belief that CUVs/crossovers are a high growth, high margin segment. Unlike sedans, which is a highly competitive, cost-intensive, and low to no profit, this is a segment where investment in a really excellent platform would pay its way.

This is where Lincoln wants to get in on the action with the Aviator:

The next Navigator is aiming more for luxury and plushness, so there's room in the product lineup for a more dynamic, sporting entry.

As for the Explorer... economies of scale. Ford is already making a name for the Explorer as a more premium entry in its segment, so it could support a RWD platform from a cost perspective.

#26 ·
Well, if Lincoln went the Taurus-based route with their CUV, it would probably be just as boring as Infiniti's QX60. Lincoln does need an exciting, unique vehicle that puts them in the spotlight and gets people talking.

If this program gets approved, the Lincoln better look like a crossover, not a wannabe SUV. I'm imagining a taller shooting brake. Do you think it will be pricier than Audi's Q7?

PS: Is Lincoln getting anything from the Mustang chassis anytime soon? Mark IX?

#27 ·
Ford may be working an a Ford/Lincoln RWD Crossover but I highly doubt they'd call the Ford version "Explorer". Ford has been highly successful with the current FWD Explorer and I don't see them messing with it.

#35 ·
Dropping oil prices could be a sign of a serious recession coming, just as in 2008.
I favor whatever will make Ford the most profits and help it comply with 54.5 mpg CAFE - whether it be a new RWD unibody Explorer/Aviator or whether it be a new CD4 based Explorer/Aviator. Ford has people a lot smarter than I am studying the issue. I could never afford such a vehicle anyway.

#38 ·
Dropping oil prices could be a sign of a serious recession coming, just as in 2008.
Not relavent. It spiked before it dropped, and the US was a net importer while we are now becoming a net exporter.

#57 ·
CAFE won't be "dropped". If anything they'll either hold it at whatever it's supposed to be at 2020. But even more likely is they'll game the system again by changing the way it's measured so that a 4 banger that in the real world gets 32mpg gets 55mpg in the CAFE world.

If you have doubts, look at how current CAFE measurements are a joke, and if you look at how CAFE 2.0 is set up, it's almost as if it's purposely built to fail after 2020.

Think it has more to supply and demand. Demand has been dropping in the US for people have not been putting as many miles on their vehicles as of late. Also, there has not been a disruption this summer from a hurricane.
Also, the higher prices have encouraged people to buy smaller cars and more fuel efficient vehicles.

#42 · (Edited)
Hmmm, could the Ford version replace the Flex? I find it curious that they would consider messing with the Explorer formula; why not pull a reverse-SRX and move the Flex to this RWD platform, along with the Lincoln. Plus, if they kept the Flex's squarish lines (updating them a bit, of course), Lincoln could easily do something radically different with the Aviator.

Oh, and would they at least offer an AWD option? I find RWD only surprising for a modern crossover. We hear talk all the time of Model XXX not selling in the northern States because there's no AWD version, so I have a tough time believing that Ford would forego that feature on these expensive vehicles.

And the platform could also spawn a Bronco!

#45 ·
Ford is quite serious about making Lincoln a world-class luxury brand, and they intend to go about it in a smart way, not just through blunt force.

They aren't afraid to spend money, but it has to be done intelligently. Leaping headlong into a super-competitive, engineering-intensive, and low-to-no profit segment, like compact and midsized RWD sports sedans, makes no sense, in light of both current market conditions, and the fact that Lincoln has zero historic presence there.

Now, high-growth segments with meaningful profit potential, are another story.

#46 ·
And I think that's smart for a few reasons.

1. Lincoln has had past success with SUV's and crossovers like the Navigator, MKX, and now MKC. The Aviator also garnered a lot of positive press.

2. Crossovers are the hottest vehicles in the industry right now, and Lincoln already has a good place to start with their current crop of crossovers and SUV's (minus the MKT).

3. Crossovers and SUV's are usually associated with younger buyers, a group Lincoln really wants to attract.

#51 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.