Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next Dodge Durango could go back to body-on-frame
Hello, towing capacity
RONAN GLON
Nov 16th 2021
autoblog.com

Rumors outlining what the future holds for the Dodge Durango are rampant. While some claim that the SUV is headed towards extinction, an unverified report suggests it will return for a fourth generation as a body-on-frame model aimed directly at the Chevrolet Tahoe.

Citing anonymous sources, enthusiast website Mopar Insiders wrote that the current-generation model will retire at the end of the 2023 model year, which seems to be a date that every report agrees upon. Its successor will allegedly enter production before the end of the 2023 calendar year on a model-specific version of the body-on-frame architecture that underpins Jeep's born-again Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer models. If the rumor is accurate, the Durango will return to its roots; the first two generations featured a body-on-frame design.

Shifting away from a unibody design makes sense from several perspectives. First, it would allow Dodge parent company Stellantis to reap the rewards of economies of scale. Towing capacity — which has always been one of the Durango's big selling points — will increase, though it's too early to provide a specific figure. And, it would give Dodge a true alternative to the Tahoe, one that will presumably be positioned as more of a mainstream model than the Wagoneer and the Grand Wagoneer, which spearheaded Jeep's upmarket expansion.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Grand Cherokee and Wagoneer are two completely different products with 2 different underpinnings.

Doesn't make sense to make it Wagoneer big....it'll be GC-L based, if they make it at all.

Reactions: CJH

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
It can be on Wagoneers platform and be a shorter Wheelbase. Wagoneer is Huge in every dimension. a Shorter Wheelbase (120 vs 124in) & Length (210 vs 215in) more road friendly (car like steering) BOF Durango would be enough to please LAW ENFORCEMENT which the durango needs to be capable for. it could still offer a 3rd row. and Rear Cargo space could be More than the Wagoneer with a 2 row version if you want more room? then pay the premium for a Wagoneer.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Grand Cherokee and Wagoneer are two completely different products with 2 different underpinnings.
It can be on Wagoneers platform and be a shorter Wheelbase. Wagoneer is Huge in every dimension. a Shorter Wheelbase (120 vs 124in) & Length (210 vs 215in) more road friendly (car like steering) BOF Durango would be enough to please LAW ENFORCEMENT which the durango needs to be capable for. it could still offer a 3rd row. and Rear Cargo space could be More than the Wagoneer with a 2 row version if you want more room? then pay the premium for a Wagoneer.
I assumed they would move it to the new GC L platform (from the old "stretched" GC platform). Not only would that increase the economies of scale for it, but it fits its current size and performance aspirations.

The only reason in my mind to move it to a shortened version of the Wagoneer platform is if they have more product planned for it. The old BOF Durangos were based on the Dakota (not RAM) platform Maybe they are planning on bringing the Dakota back?

Reactions: eklauss

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I assumed they would move it to the new GC L platform (from the old "stretched" GC platform). Not only would that increase the economies of scale for it, but it fits its current size and performance aspirations.

The only reason in my mind to move it to a shortened version of the Wagoneer platform is if they have more product planned for it. The old BOF Durangos were based on the Dakota (not RAM) platform Maybe they are planning on bringing the Dakota back?
I dont think they would use GWs platform because of production capacity and overlap, unless the Durango is going to be the Yukon to the Wagoneer/GW's Denali/Ultimate?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
It's clear it's not going to be on the Grand Cherokee platform. This rumor has been going on for quite some time - I even mentioned it on this forum years ago. This plan pre-dates Stellantis.

There is no room for this product in the plants that make the Grand Cherokee and Grand Cherokee L. It will be on the same BOF platform as the Wagoneer and I seriously doubt it'll be any smaller. It will be focused on the lower rungs of the Tahoe/Yukon with RST-like trim levels.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The current Gen Durango that was released in 2011 shares its platform with the Grand Cherokee that was released in 2011, it just has a longer wheel base. I'm betting the next Durango will get the new platform of the 2021 Grand Cherokee L that was introduced this year.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The current Gen Durango that was released in 2011 shares its platform with the Grand Cherokee that was released in 2011, it just has a longer wheel base. I'm betting the next Durango will get the new platform of the 2021 Grand Cherokee L that was introduced this year.
No space at the plant, not happening. There will be space at Warren Truck once the RAM Classic is discontinued though, which is convienient for the RAM 1500/Wagoneer platform to find its way under the Durango.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts

There is Capacity for a Wagoneer Based when the Ram 1500 Classic Ends production. That would leave Stellantis with a Trio of BOF to rival GM. Durango=Tahoe, Wagoneer=Yukon, Escalade=Grand Wagoneer., like i said, Durango could be shorter with a 3rd row optional (Configuration that works for Gov. Agencies) more nimble, and still have best in class performance (6000lb 6.4 Wagoneer does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds)

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
No space at the plant, not happening. There will be space at Warren Truck once the RAM Classic is discontinued though, which is convienient for the RAM 1500/Wagoneer platform to find its way under the Durango.
Wait, according to some people on this site, the new Grand Cherokee isn't selling and they are already discounting them!!!! :)

• Haha
Reactions: 69gtsdart

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
There is Capacity for a Wagoneer Based when the Ram 1500 Classic Ends production. That would leave Stellantis with a Trio of BOF to rival GM. Durango=Tahoe, Wagoneer=Yukon, Escalade=Grand Wagoneer., like i said, Durango could be shorter with a 3rd row optional (Configuration that works for Gov. Agencies) more nimble, and still have best in class performance (6000lb 6.4 Wagoneer does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds)
Gotcha, that makes sense.

·
Registered
18 F150 Sport 3.5, 18 WRX, 07 Town Car, 06 Explorer V8 Eddie Bauer
467 Posts
rumor was dakota and bof durango, both were then rumored dead, interesting move finding its way on to the 1500. i wonder how they will size it, either a narrow version of 1500 frame, or short, or both.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I don't think there's going to be a next gen Durango...maybe Ram gets a lower priced full size BOF SUV...but I really don't see it being a Durango...brand placement wise it makes no sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts