1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I knew that they had to be testing one, they have changed the look every inauguration, the 2000 was new, the 2004 showed the new DTS look, maybe this one will hint at the DTS/STS replacement when finished?

Also, they said it was diesel, which is interesting too.

·
Registered
44,243 Posts
Well, using a truck platform is nothing new. The current DTS limos sit on a GM truck platform as it is.

I just wish that they'd make the car a little more stylish. But what can you do with all that armor...

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
The days of the Sunshine Special are gone, the car is esentially an APC with Cadillac looking sheetmetal hanging off the car, though I know that this is still way from being complete, I think that the proportions are better on this car than the previous limos, either that or I have become used to their "unusual" looks.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Anyone know whether GM does that armor work themselves or sends the beast out to a special contractor?? :confused:

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
Anyone know whether GM does that armor work themselves or sends the beast out to a special contractor?? :confused:
The current Presidential State Car is a 2006 hand-crafted, armored version of the stretch Cadillac DTS (DeVille Touring Sedan) built on a GM four-wheel drive platform.[1] The vehicle was custom built by Centigon (formerly O'Gara, Hess & Eisenhardt).[1][2] It was first used on January 20, 2005 during the second inauguration parade of George W. Bush. The Secret Service refers to the heavily-armored vehicle as "the beast".

The limousine is airlifted for domestic and international use primarily by U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III.[4] On domestic trips, Cadillac One displays the American and presidential standard, which are lit by directional flood lights mounted on the hood. Red and blue emergency lights are built into the front grille, and the vehicle is fitted with strobe lights in the front headlights and rear brake lights. When the President performs a state visit to a foreign country, the presidential standard is replaced by the foreign country's flag.

Does this help?

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Does this help?
Yeah.....I remember reading about 'O'Gara, Hess & Eisenhardt' in an article about the Prez's limo....I believe Cadillac ships them the DTS, then their craftsmen chop it up and go from there.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I like the fact that it comes with the tow package. You never know when the prez might want to stop at a KOA or put the presidential yacht in the water.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Considering this thing is pretty much hand built and totally unique in just about all respects, surely it wouldn't be too difficult to make it look slightly respectable? I mean if you're going to all that trouble why not make it look like the Sixteen, that way the head of state gets to look pretty nifty as well as being all secure.

Not much is made of it, but apparently the Aussie prime ministeral limos are armour plated too (although not to the same degree) and yet they look identical to the production versions. If the previous limo debuted the look of the DTS and this thing could potentially preview the look of the DTS/STS replacement then I'd say Cadillac is in a whole lot of trouble!!!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I'm surprised the Secret Service let this thing get photographed. If I remember correctly they have a reasonably big say in what goes on with the development of the Presidential Limos. I'm even more surprised by the fact that its got a diesel under the hood. That has me REALLY REALLY shocked.....I wonder why does it have a diesel?

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
It evens has a trailer hitch in case the Pres wants to take some buddies out fishing.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Actually they're making this for me. Apparantly I've made alot of enemies here on GMi, and you can never be too safe!!
You were warned about buying a new Toyota Turda. :lmao:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts