·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although it is made for boats :)
Mercury Shocks Boating World With First V12 Outboard Engine
Motor1
Feb 11, 2021

In the boating world, outboard motors reign supreme in terms of portability, ease of maintenance, and better power-to-weight ratio in comparison to their inboard counterparts. However, these design advantages limit the engine's power output, which is a fair trade-off for the benefit of larger cabin space.

That's the reason why the Lexus LY 650 opted for a 2,700-horsepower (2,013-kilowatt) Volvo inboard engine setup, while the Lamborghini 63 luxury yacht has two V12s integrated within the hull, each making 2,000 hp (1,491 kW).
While Mercury outboard motors can only produce as much as 400 hp (298 kW), the company has created a solution. Introducing, the Mercury Verado – the first-ever V12 motor designed for outboard use. It aims to revolutionize the boat and yacht design, and it's easy to see why.

With a 7.6-liter displacement and quad-cam powerhead, the Verado can produce up to 600 hp (447 kW). With more horsepower comes more flexibility for boat builders, needing fewer outboard engines than before, ergo, increasing fuel efficiency by 20 to 25 percent.

The Mercury Verado V12 also features a lot of unique traits. It has the first two-speed automatic transmission for outboard engines. It also has the first steerable gearcase, which pivots independently underwater while allowing the powerhead to stay in place – a space-saving feature.

·
Registered
16,941 Posts
Hahahhaa! Loved the title to the thread!

Disappointed it isn't for a car, but I was really surprised any auto make would bring out a V12 when everyone is looking at BEV.

Still cool though. Surprising that this is a first for just the prop to be swiveling vs. the entire engine.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Hahahhaa! Loved the title to the thread!

Disappointed it isn't for a car, but I was really surprised any auto make would bring out a V12 when everyone is looking at BEV.

Still cool though. Surprising that this is a first for just the prop to be swiveling vs. the entire engine.
A very puzzling point of BEV. The Marine Market keeps getting Bigger, Boats, HP, Triples, Quads, Quints,1 mpg is common.

Why?

It wasn't long ago, 300hp Outboard was the Top Gun. Dirty 2 Stroke, 6 minutes on a 6 gallon Cruise a day.(personal experience) That's 3 minutes for 6 gallons @ 600hp

Then the push to Clean 4 stroke and 2 Stroke Technology. Only to see the Boats get Bigger and Bigger, doing the same stuff as the old, slower, Trawlers and Offshore Vessels.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
the Mercury Varada lineup has for years been ahead of Yamaha in the 250+ BHP motors in both weight size and performance
globally Brunswick group (Mercury's parent CO) is the biggest recreational marine company and has a MAJOR presence in every market

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just in time to fill the hole in the market left by seven marine which shut down last year. Those were the supercharged GM LSA V8 based outboards with up to 627 HP.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,355 Posts
the Mercury Varada lineup has for years been ahead of Yamaha in the 250+ BHP motors in both weight size and performance
globally Brunswick group (Mercury's parent CO) is the biggest recreational marine company and has a MAJOR presence in every market
+1
Mercury Marine's engine design and manufacturing capabilities are top notch. Even though Brunswick Corporation's current business strategy is "marine only", in the past Mercury Marine developed a reputation for excellent products outside the marine sector:

Snowmobiles (1970s):

LT5 engine used in the C4 Corvette ZR-1 (1989-1995) was assembled by Mercury Marine:

·
Registered
16,941 Posts
A very puzzling point of BEV. The Marine Market keeps getting Bigger, Boats, HP, Triples, Quads, Quints,1 mpg is common.

Why?

It wasn't long ago, 300hp Outboard was the Top Gun. Dirty 2 Stroke, 6 minutes on a 6 gallon Cruise a day.(personal experience) That's 3 minutes for 6 gallons @ 600hp

Then the push to Clean 4 stroke and 2 Stroke Technology. Only to see the Boats get Bigger and Bigger, doing the same stuff as the old, slower, Trawlers and Offshore Vessels.
Wow, had no idea they burn that much fuel, though makes sense as the boat/engine has to push all of that water out of the way. I assume with all those power demands it will be a long time until battery tech is ready for the boat industry except for light usage.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,355 Posts
I assume you are near Fond du Lac, Wisconsin and NOT in the south of China where a LOT of Mercuries come from
Currently, manufacturing facilities for Mercury Marine are in the following locales:
  • Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA
  • Juárez, Mexico
  • Komagane, Japan (TMC joint venture)
  • Petit-Rechain, Belgium
  • St. Cloud, Florida, USA
  • Suzhou, China
The company also operated a factory in Stillwater, Oklahoma, which closed in 2009. This plant assembled the LT5 engine used in C4 Corvette ZR-1.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Kewl engine for the top of the market. I much prefer outboards vs inboards, unless its a yacht/large boat.

We had several problems with our first Merc outboard, however the new ProXS has been much better so far. We never had any problems with our Yamaha's.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I have never owned a Mercury, probably never will. Much preferred OMC in my early years of Boating. Then, the Last OMC ever in our Family, a Spankin New 1979 115hp V4 Johnson, Year #2 Head Gasket and #4 Piston, rebuilt that, Year #4 Ring Land let go on #3 Piston, my Dad traded it for a 1984 90hp Yamaha, never touched that motor all the years we owned it. Drove the Crap out of it until about 1992 when I bought my first (my own) boat with a Suzuki. Drove it 3 years and bought a 50hp Yamaha, drove it 2 years and bought a 130 Yamaha. Drove that 20 years and now own a 140 Suzuki (and a 30 Yamaha).

I am sure Mercury has updated over the years, but the stuff they built in the 80's after the Asian Invasion just didn't compare. Now I believe Yamaha has been resting on it's Laurels. The F150's Balance Shaft Gears, the F350's Flywheel (normal Maintenance) is a Joke.

But 600hp out of an Outboard! Never thought I would see the day. The power still has to go through a 5-6" Gearcase, 90 degrees, counter rotating. Think about that for abit. 9 1/4" Ford rear end would struggle with 600hp, a 12 Bolt more than likely wouldn't be up to it.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I have never owned a Mercury, probably never will. Much preferred OMC in my early years of Boating. Then, the Last OMC ever in our Family, a Spankin New 1979 115hp V4 Johnson, Year #2 Head Gasket and #4 Piston, rebuilt that, Year #4 Ring Land let go on #3 Piston, my Dad traded it for a 1984 90hp Yamaha, never touched that motor all the years we owned it. Drove the Crap out of it until about 1992 when I bought my first (my own) boat with a Suzuki. Drove it 3 years and bought a 50hp Yamaha, drove it 2 years and bought a 130 Yamaha. Drove that 20 years and now own a 140 Suzuki (and a 30 Yamaha).

I am sure Mercury has updated over the years, but the stuff they built in the 80's after the Asian Invasion just didn't compare. Now I believe Yamaha has been resting on it's Laurels. The F150's Balance Shaft Gears, the F350's Flywheel (normal Maintenance) is a Joke.

But 600hp out of an Outboard! Never thought I would see the day. The power still has to go through a 5-6" Gearcase, 90 degrees, counter rotating. Think about that for abit. 9 1/4" Ford rear end would struggle with 600hp, a 12 Bolt more than likely wouldn't be up to it.
Mercury and Yamaha got together and co designed the "mid power" 4 stroke engines and both are excellent engines
I had a Yammi 25 2 stroke and it was a brilliant gem of a motor now have a 20 HP suzuki 4 stroke EFI and that thing almost does not even know what gas is - I am sure the Yammi 100-1 burned more OIL then the suzzi does in petrol

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Mercury and Yamaha got together and co designed the "mid power" 4 stroke engines and both are excellent engines
I had a Yammi 25 2 stroke and it was a brilliant gem of a motor now have a 20 HP suzuki 4 stroke EFI and that thing almost does not even know what gas is - I am sure the Yammi 100-1 burned more OIL then the suzzi does in petrol
I had a 20hp Suzuki, 1988 100-1 2 Smoke and yes that thing was Super on fuel, I switched up for a 1991 25hp 3 cylinder injected Suzuki, (bumped to 30hp, restricted throttle opening) it wasn't as fuel efficient but super smooth. I now have a 30hp Yamaha 3 cylinder 2 smoke in it's place, and they just plain last forever.

However in 2017 when I was shopping for my New Boat, (Heavy Plate welded aluminum) 2 Local Dealers could supply similar boats. 1 had only Yamaha, the other offered Suzuki, Merc, and Honda. The DF140 Suzuki was $200 less than a F115 Yamaha, with a SS Prop and Troll Mode. Being that I have had good experiences with both Brands, I couldn't pay more for less HP, less Warranty, and a Cheaper Prop.

Mercury was priced the same as the Zuke, but previous luck with Zuke and not so much luck with Merc, plus 3 years extra Warranty, made that decision easy. Honda seem to be Very Reliable Slugs, heavy and slow. (Not that a Plate Alum. boat is a Speed Boat).

I am very happy with the DF140, fuel burn is 25%+ less than the Yamaha 130 2 Smoke, on a bigger boat. And 4-5 mph quicker than "Performance Reports" of my boat with a F115 Yamaha.

Mercury is at the very least, throwing great amounts of effort at Marine Use. The New V6 and V8 Lineups. Now a V12 Yamaha seems to be living on their 1990's reputation and trying to demand More Money for it. BRP (Evinrude) threw Hugh amounts of $$$$'s at their 3 cylinder 2 Smokes (which I might have purchased if they were out in 2017) only to Close Shop right after their release.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I had a 20hp Suzuki, 1988 100-1 2 Smoke and yes that thing was Super on fuel, I switched up for a 1991 25hp 3 cylinder injected Suzuki, (bumped to 30hp, restricted throttle opening) it wasn't as fuel efficient but super smooth. I now have a 30hp Yamaha 3 cylinder 2 smoke in it's place, and they just plain last forever.

However in 2017 when I was shopping for my New Boat, (Heavy Plate welded aluminum) 2 Local Dealers could supply similar boats. 1 had only Yamaha, the other offered Suzuki, Merc, and Honda. The DF140 Suzuki was $200 less than a F115 Yamaha, with a SS Prop and Troll Mode. Being that I have had good experiences with both Brands, I couldn't pay more for less HP, less Warranty, and a Cheaper Prop.

Mercury was priced the same as the Zuke, but previous luck with Zuke and not so much luck with Merc, plus 3 years extra Warranty, made that decision easy. Honda seem to be Very Reliable Slugs, heavy and slow. (Not that a Plate Alum. boat is a Speed Boat).

I am very happy with the DF140, fuel burn is 25%+ less than the Yamaha 130 2 Smoke, on a bigger boat. And 4-5 mph quicker than "Performance Reports" of my boat with a F115 Yamaha.

Mercury is at the very least, throwing great amounts of effort at Marine Use. The New V6 and V8 Lineups. Now a V12 Yamaha seems to be living on their 1990's reputation and trying to demand More Money for it. BRP (Evinrude) threw Hugh amounts of $$$$'s at their 3 cylinder 2 Smokes (which I might have purchased if they were out in 2017) only to Close Shop right after their release.
Ive heard the Suzukis get noticeably better fuel economy than the yamahas and that they are very reliable until they start corroding, but at that point the owner has gotten so much use out of it, it doesnt matter.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
weve heard for decades how quiet the yamaha 4 strokes are but last summer we rented a pontoon boat with a yamaha 150 and deck boat with a yamaha 150 and to my ear they were noisy.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts

how is the noise level on the suzuki?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts