GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
VW to brand EVs 'Voltswagen' in U.S., source confirms
Automotive News LINK

The name change is not expected to carry upward to the parent company in Germany

A press release leaked online Monday revealed that Volkswagen of America will use the brand name “Voltswagen” to differentiate its line of electric vehicles, which began deliveries to U.S. dealers this month.

Automotive News has independently confirmed the authenticity of the planned change with a person familiar with the company's plans, and that it is not an April Fools' Day joke.

The person said the change is in keeping with the company’s “all electric”

CNBC reported, according to the leaked release, which had been dated April 29, 2021, the name change would cover all of the automaker’s U.S. operations, though the new Voltswagen of America would continue to remain an operating unit of the larger Volkswagen Group of America.

An email to VW of America CEO Scott Keogh was not returned.

The name change is not expected to carry upward to the parent company in Germany, Volkswagen Group. The brand will maintain its recently redesigned VW logo in both instances.

CNBC reported that the leaked release called the change a “public declaration of the company’s future-forward investment in e-mobility.” It said Voltswagen will be placed as an exterior badge on all EV models, and gasoline vehicles will have the company’s iconic VW emblem only, as they now do. The release said ICE-powered vehicles would display the VW logo on a dark blue background, while EVs would display the logo on a light blue background, CNBC reported.

New Voltswagen Logo

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I was joking about Voltswagon months ago, but it does make sense.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
An electric VW...good news is that you don't have to worry about the turbos failing on it anymore.

·
Premium Member
35,576 Posts
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
So "VW" just like before? :unsure:

Corny and kind of paints themselves into a corner.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I half expected some GM fans to be screaming about another company using "volt" lol

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
Pretty lame. "Voltswagen" could be used really well in a commerical, but it's a bad idea to actually implement for real.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
April Fools is just around the corner. Advertising gimmick big time too.
Yep. My first thought was April Fool's Day prank. It'll get some social media clicks.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
There's actually a small business that does electrician work that has "Volts Wagon" painted on there vans around me, which I always thought was funny.

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
Yep. My first thought was April Fool's Day prank. It'll get some social media clicks.

My first thought too. Remember IHOP became IHOB (burgers) a couple of years ago.

Reactions: gkr778 and TruckMan

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I was thinking about IHOB as well.

Voltswagon is a little more creative than GM's huge change to "gm". It's all marketing and companies trying to get news time to move the stock forward.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
The clumsiness in which the legacy automakers are approaching the EV era won't age well.

Mustang Mach E, gm, Hummer, Voltswagen, E-Tron....please don't use E-150!

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,488 Posts
An electric VW...good news is that you don't have to worry about the turbos failing on it anymore.
The not so good news is that you still need to worry about electronic components failing on it, just as pontiacgt02 mentioned.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts