GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
There have been so many Supra rumors that it's getting really hard to believe there will ever be another one. First thing I would like to see is that super-light rwd coupe Toyota is rumored to be working on, then after that a Supra would be nice.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Drove a Supra (must have been about 15 or 20 years ago..) now that was a nice exciting car to drive.

I think even most GMI folks would agree the old Supra was one of the few really great cars that Toyota made.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have heard the rumors about the next Supra being a hybrid sports car, though the lightweight rwd car I have read about was the Celica replacment that Subaru and Toyota are developing using the WRX engine

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I like it. I think it looks better than the current Z; however I would not buy it. I am sure they will be asking Corvette money for it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If they made this thing with the 3.7 putting out between 300-400 bhp and RWD, then I don't see how that would be a Celica...the Celica was always essentially a sportier coupe version of the Corolla. And they mention making it a Celica so as to not "cannibalize potential buyers of the LF-A"...but what about cannibalizing Scion tC buyers? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Celica was discontinued in 04, which was the same year Toyota introduced a sporty, 4-cylinder, FWD coupe...isn't the tC the Celica replacement? Resurrect the Supra nameplate, slap a torquey 300 bhp V6 in the thing and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If they made this thing with the 3.7 putting out between 300-400 bhp and RWD, then I don't see how that would be a Celica...the Celica was always essentially a sportier coupe version of the Corolla. And they mention making it a Celica so as to not "cannibalize potential buyers of the LF-A"...but what about cannibalizing Scion tC buyers? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Celica was discontinued in 04, which was the same year Toyota introduced a sporty, 4-cylinder, FWD coupe...isn't the tC the Celica replacement? Resurrect the Supra nameplate, slap a torquey 300 bhp V6 in the thing and call it a day.
The tC is nowhere near being a Celica replacment

·
Registered
615 Posts
so i guess this is the 2008 hint at the "new supra". seriously go google how man different renderings there are on "the next supra" every year there's one or two sites claiming they have heard about a new supra and they have what it will look like. this has been going on for like ten years now. either build it or just tell everyone that your not going to so i can stop having to hear "toyota is supposed to be coming out with the new supra soon".... ok sorry about that the last gen supra's were sweet looking and performing cars. this picture/drawing is hideous

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I agree w/the others who're just a lil bit annoyed with the fact this rumor just won't die.........but as to this specific iteration....it definitely looks better than the 2010 370Z and would be good competition for Hyudai's Genesis. Hell, I could see comparos between this and a twin turbo Mustang popping up all over....:drive:

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
That is a lumpy looking rendering. I think the new Supra will look more like the Lexus and Toyota concepts that were produced over a year ago.

·
Registered
9,049 Posts
They need to reverse what they normally do. Start with a Lexus and make a Toyota.
Start with a Lexus IS and add unique sheetmetal, less options, slightly cheaper interior, 2and 4 door. Now you have a nice RWD 300hp V6 car that will breathe some excitement into Toyota's ultra dull lineup. Something along the lines of the Genesis without having to engineer an all new platform.

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts
The front end is ungainly, but otherwise it looks awesome. If they make a real one it better not end up looking bloated like most recent toyotas.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
What's your reasoning? And keep in mind I am a former Toyota/Scion salesperson and I heard OUT OF A TOYOTA REP'S MOUTH that the tC was designed as the Celica replacement and targeted at the Celica's demographic.
It even uses the Celica's internal chassis code (T).

The Supra's chassis code is A (hence LF-A).

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't understand why anyone makes comments like "this is ugly", ot "better than this", when it's clearly a chop made by stupid magazines and there's absolutely no truth in it. Everyone knows these idiots make up whatever the hell they want to and label it whatever they want to sell more magazines.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I think even most GMI folks would agree the old Supra was one of the few really great cars that Toyota made.
dude, you wont get that here. I do agree though. The last gen Supra was a awesome car. I have only driven a non-turbo, but even it was a nice ride!

I dont mind the rendering, I doubt its actually the real Toyota rendering, but its ok nontheless. The grille is kinda odd, but other than that I like it!

·
Registered
67 Posts
They need to reverse what they normally do. Start with a Lexus and make a Toyota.
Start with a Lexus IS and add unique sheetmetal, less options, slightly cheaper interior, 2and 4 door. Now you have a nice RWD 300hp V6 car that will breathe some excitement into Toyota's ultra dull lineup. Something along the lines of the Genesis without having to engineer an all new platform.
i think the IS interior is cheap enough ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts