GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Re: New pics of the next gen Cobalt[or whatever the new name is]

Add sweepspear. Place Buick Grille. Upgrade interior.

Skylark.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts

lets see a COUPE version with SS TURBOCHARGED badged on it!

If I pull off a used car this year, I'll def. be getting this...

CobaltSS

·
Registered
2,732 Posts

Korean design at it's finest. I really hope GM already has a redesign for this scheduled. Or at least an American designed Pontiac version. But that would be asking way too much probably.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Hmmm, I know it's not but it looks like a smaller car than some of the other pics. Also doesn't have the same grill.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts

It looks pretty good. The rear still looks like it has the potential to be tacky, but it's too early to judge.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts

A lot is riding on this car. I hope GM gets it right. Much as I love my Forenza (Wagon), the chassis/handling did not win rave reviews from the automotive press. I have to hope this is not just a warmed over Lacetti with a more modern GM powertrain. That might have flown in 2005, and I probably would have been for it if the price was right, but not now when GM is fighting for its life. It needs to be a home run. I'm hoping for - despite the negative comment above - the "best of Korean" AND Detroit engineering and design - working together to make a modern, relevant, competitive car like the new Malibu (in a compact car), but even more affordable and profitable, no matter where in the world it is built.

I also hope whatever name they choose for it will stick, and will be used globally -- from Europe, to Mexico, to the USA. GM needs a strong compact car nameplate that is recognized around the globe. Corolla and Civic are universal, and a U.S. market-only "Cobalt" can't compete with that kind of name recognition.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why is the grille different in some of the pics? What's with the silver bars, now?

Once again, in some of the angle shots, the car looks fantastic. I particularly like the shots under June 18th. However, in other shots it's horrendous such as the June 12th shot which looks like an awkward mess.

I am getting REALLY nervous about this vehicle which is BEYOND crucial for GM.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts

Korean design at it's finest. I really hope GM already has a redesign for this scheduled. Or at least an American designed Pontiac version. But that would be asking way too much probably.
I guess I am not the only one who doesn't care much for it. It looks ok, but in the end it looks dated already to me. And that is no good considering it should be a class leader being in the segment it is.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts

I also hope whatever name they choose for it will stick, and will be used globally -- from Europe, to Mexico, to the USA. GM needs a strong compact car nameplate that is recognized around the globe. Corolla and Civic are universal, and a U.S. market-only "Cobalt" can't compete with that kind of name recognition.
Agreed. Let's hope they come up with a good name that can be easily distinguished and hoepfully builds a following world-wide.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Apparently the front end will be different for other markets. We get the malibu type grill, they get this, from the pics, better looking grill.
However, it still has the cutout on the hood, which annoys me for some reason.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
eww, really? REALLY? this thing looks like it's going to be super-ugmo. sorry, GM, try again. just based on style, this is behind the rest of the compact sedan pack, with the exception of the Corolla. it is equally boring.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts