GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
44,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the July 2004 "Automobile," there's a short article titled "7 Ways to Save Saab." They make some interesting predictions, some based on fact, others still being considered....

1) 9-1/9-2X. Hatchback coupe/wagon based on Astra.
2) 9-3. Wagon in '05. Full revision by '08.
3) 9-4. The Kappa.
4) 9-5. New one based on Epsilon-Plus... or the Theta.. Sedan & Wagon.
5) 9-6. Based on the Subaru sportutility. Probably by 2007.
6) 9-7X. Lambda being considered. Maybe next-gen Sigma.
7) 9-9. The rumored top of the line model.

Kind of interesting, I think.
Most likely, I thiknk the "9-6" would become the 9-7X. The 9-5 line woudl extend upscale to better compete with A6/5-series/E class. I don't think 9-9 is a possibility... though I thought I read on here that it would be a 7-series fighter?? :blink: I think 9-4 would be there as well.

What's nice to see is that the 9-2X and 9-7X seem to be one-offs. But I wouldn't mind to see the 9-2X evolve with teh WRX... just be a bit more differentiated.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The 9-9 could be W-body. Sticking with the whole saab-safety FWD thing. I'm sure they could pull something off that looks resonably good. Either way the kappa would ruin that plan...so just pull in a zeta. :zippy:

·
Registered
275 Posts
i hope the 9-5 and the "9-9" are on the zeta. i know there was a nice engine listed posted a while ago, but i think it would be better if they mostly went into rwd saabs...

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by surferdude00711@Jun 6 2004, 08:20 AM
I wanna RX-330 fighter from Saab. 9-7X seats seven and is resonably bigger.
Saabs are so hot though, see my symbol thingie? <<<<
Honda :plasma:
9-7X is about the same size as the RX330 and they both seat 5, not 7.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I'm sorry, but I dont think that Saab needs 7 models, this would be very complicated and difficult. Saab should maybe have 4 or 5 models at the most.

Heck Saab already has 4.....

9-2
9-3
9-5
9-7

I do think that Saab should really start thinking of replacing the 9-5 already.

I know that Saab would like to keep FWD in its cars, or maybe AWD for the flagship 9-5, though I dont know exactly what future GM large FWD platform the 9-5 should be based on, perhaps something from Opel would fit the bill. If Saab would like to position the 9-5 as the flagship of the Saab line-up, it should size the vehicle between the STS and DeVille, a larger car, but not just a copy of the STS or the BMW 7series, it should employ a large ammount of high technology features with some aircraft influenced style, very little or no wood trim, lots of aluminum and high tech materials, hidden interior "ambiance" lighting, AWD, standard V6 with 250-260hp, and an available turbo V6 with 290-300, with a top of the range twin-turbo V6 making about 325-340hp.

The only other vehicle that I would consider adding to the range would be a small 2 seat roadster based of the Kappa or maybe a shorter Delta, to keep with Saabs FWD history, I would imagine something like the Saturn SKY concept car, but with Saab styling touches.

·
Registered
67 Posts
ok i love the idea of new saabs coming out but i think saab should also have some luxury sport to go with it like BMW and MB has use the G6 frame for another midsize coupe sedan and wagon like we had back in the early 90s with the 9-3 having all 4 of the body styles sedan coupe conv and wagon but give it a more subaru-ish type wagon like the 05 wagon their coming out with

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I don't think Saab should be focusing on other models ahead of redesigning the aging 9-5. They can get a 9-7 later, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE redesign the 9-5 with COMPETITIVEfeatures. Sadly, when GM does decide to redesign the 9-5, I doubt it'll be the class leader because GM wants that exclusively for the Cadillac CTS.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Originally posted by MCGARRETT@Jun 6 2004, 07:56 PM
I'm sorry, but I dont think that Saab needs 7 models
It's as if GM cannot justify a brand's existence, or make one profitable, unless a full-range of models is in the brand's portfolio. If GMC exists as a "truck-only" brand, why can't a few of the specialty car brands, such as Saab, get by with just two or three car models (including, perhaps, a car-based crossover).

I see an abundance of overlap in the proposal, too. For a division that used to get by with one model, the 900, and remain in business despite having no platforms to share, I don't know why eight models are needed now.

And even with eight models proposed, I'll bet none will develop the character and cult status of the old 900. The 9-X was perhaps the closest so far, but the 9-2 doesn't come close in this regard.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Originally posted by desmo9+Jun 7 2004, 10:31 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (desmo9 @ Jun 7 2004, 10:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MCGARRETT@Jun 6 2004, 07:56 PM
I'm sorry, but I dont think that Saab needs 7 models
It's as if GM cannot justify a brand's existence, or make one profitable, unless a full-range of models is in the brand's portfolio. If GMC exists as a "truck-only" brand, why can't a few of the specialty car brands, such as Saab, get by with just two or three car models (including, perhaps, a car-based crossover).

I see an abundance of overlap in the proposal, too. For a division that used to get by with one model, the 900, and remain in business despite having no platforms to share, I don't know why eight models are needed now.

And even with eight models proposed, I'll bet none will develop the character and cult status of the old 900. The 9-X was perhaps the closest so far, but the 9-2 doesn't come close in this regard. [/b][/quote]
I completely agree! Saabs were always kind of a strange bird to see driving around. Some people like that. As soon as you add 7 models to one lineup all with the same styling cues, you dilute that. I just can't imagine Saab ever being a BMW or Mercedes competitor. I just feel that if GM can make it profitable, that would be a victory in itself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In the article they mention either the top-of-the-line 9-9 or the 9-5 will be approved but not both. If the 9-9 gets built, the 9-3 moves up. Not sure if anyone mentioned that yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
"Saab 9-5 Saab is considering two alternatives. The first is based on a lengthened and widened, front-wheel-drive Epsilon-plus platform, while the other uses Holden's rear-wheel-drive Theta components set. Epsilon-plus could be built in existing European factories, but Theta would have to be sourced from Down Under or North America. In either case, expect both a sedan and a wagon."

Saab 9-9 Theta platform. V-6 and V-8's

·
Registered
12 Posts
all of the mags have been screwing up the platform designations. In the same article they say that Saab may use Zeta but then they say that the 9-9 will use the RWD Theta platform. Whah...........Since when is the Saturn VUE's platform RWD. :microwave:

·
Registered
44,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by RCtennis3811@Jun 7 2004, 12:23 AM
I don't think Saab should be focusing on other models ahead of redesigning the aging 9-5. They can get a 9-7 later, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE redesign the 9-5 with COMPETITIVEfeatures. Sadly, when GM does decide to redesign the 9-5, I doubt it'll be the class leader because GM wants that exclusively for the Cadillac CTS.
Whaddaya mean by "competitive?"
Saab's price/performance can't be beat by any German
Saab loses out on "interior refinement." But by all standards, the Saab interiors aren't bad. And if you really wanna be picky, their interiors haven't changed in about 15 years. It lasts.

·
Registered
44,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by MBGTP@Jun 7 2004, 11:12 PM
In the article they mention either the top-of-the-line 9-9 or the 9-5 will be approved but not both. If the 9-9 gets built, the 9-3 moves up. Not sure if anyone mentioned that yet.
Best to keep 9-3 and 9-5 and just expand those lines.

9-3 sedan, coupe, covertible, wagon, "Viggen."
9-5 sedan, wagon, "Viggen"

If 9-2X is destined to be base on the next-gen WRX... so be it. At that point, it's guaranteed that it won't be a rebadge, as they will have sufficient time to refine the design.

If 9-7X is to be a Lambda or whatever... that's fine too.

Saab will do best with a Kappa and a performance crossover.
Also... 4WD and FWD solely in its line.

Saab can be successful without the quirky 900-style hatches. Change happens. Get used to it.

·
Registered
44,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by ibechip@Jun 7 2004, 11:09 AM
I completely agree! Saabs were always kind of a strange bird to see driving around. Some people like that. As soon as you add 7 models to one lineup all with the same styling cues, you dilute that. I just can't imagine Saab ever being a BMW or Mercedes competitor. I just feel that if GM can make it profitable, that would be a victory in itself.
Some people liek strange cars. Yes. But there aren't enough of those people to sustain the brand/company etc.

Obviously, Saab's not going to have 7 models.

GM has positioned Saab as the "European sport/luxury" brand. Makes you wonder how GM is going to position Alfa... assuming they finally get the brand in gear.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811+Jun 6 2004, 05:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RCtennis3811 @ Jun 6 2004, 05:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-surferdude00711@Jun 6 2004, 08:20 AM
I wanna RX-330 fighter from Saab. 9-7X seats seven and is resonably bigger.
Saabs are so hot though, see my symbol thingie? <<<<
Honda :plasma:
9-7X is about the same size as the RX330 and they both seat 5, not 7. [/b][/quote]
The Saab platform is still truck platform. I want one based on the Equinox platform, which I think it Theta. I saw an LT model in Red, it was sooo hot.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Why did thye miss a whole number (no 9-8) ??? :rolleyes:

the SAAB lineup seems promising, though a 7-Series fighter doesn't seem right cuz this is Cadillca's range..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts