GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts
Opel Agila, Chevrolet Matiz (Beat), Renault Twingo, Citroen C1 / Peugeot 107 / Toyota Aygo, Suzuki Alto, VW Lupo, and of course the Fiat 500
VW Lupo died long ago. It was replaced by the VW Fox imported from Braaaaaaziiiiiillll ("wwww" as in "Dwayne" at the end), the Matiz is alternatively marketed as Spark, not Beat. You could add Fiat Panda, Hyundai i20, Kia Picanto, Suzuki Splash and Daihatsu Cuore. If you really had to, that is.

The core competition is: Fox, C1/107/Aygo, Twingo. The rest are significantly more expensive and/or come with 5 doors and more room inside.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Can a full-size adult fit in that?
Yup. I'm 6'2" and I fit fine with head room to spare. I have the seat quite far back so there's little rear seat leg room left. It's basically a rather roomy 2-seater with a bench in back for two to curl up in (Canadian members should get this reference!) occasionally.

Oh yeah you're right Bravada, I forgot that the Lupo had died and was replaced by the Polo, as I still see lots of Lupos around here. I listed those other 5-doors as they're basically the same size, but yes, the closest competition are the cars you mentioned.

Congrats Paul!

Now, when are we going to be treated to pictures of you french house?

Fox

This part of post removed on request of PETA. No animals were harmed while writing this post
I let my PETA membership lapse, but thanks for the edit!

Paul--you've had more bizarre small cars in the time I've had your acquaintanceship than...well I don't know how to cleanly end that comparative phrase. I think it started with an AMC Spirit and just went bonkers from there.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Ha man I love that you had to correct me two times! Apparently I have a mental block when it comes to the Fox! Which is odd, because I use the Simpsons line "Like a fox" all the time... I've even translated it into French... where it meets blank stares... "Comme un renard!"

I don't mind the Agila, mbuk, but I tried out its sister (the Splash), and it certainly doesn't handle as well as the Ka. It feels a bit like the tall box it is. There weren't any super deals to be had on it either (at Suzuki or Opel), so there was no real compelling reason to buy one. Since I was buying a dinky car it had to either be the cheapest or the most fun to drive, and unfortunately the Agila didn't make either cut.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Paul--you've had more bizarre small cars in the time I've had your acquaintanceship than...well I don't know how to cleanly end that comparative phrase. I think it started with an AMC Spirit and just went bonkers from there.
I've had a few oddballs (Fiero, Spirit, Nubira, 104, AX, and the Ka), but also a few more normal rides (Cutlass Calais, Tempo, Vibe, Optra5). One theme? All underpowered 4-cylinders. Only two automatics. Hopefully I'll own something with more than 150hp someday!

I've had a few oddballs (Fiero, Spirit, Nubira, 104, AX, and the Ka), but also a few more normal rides (Cutlass Calais, Tempo, Vibe, Optra5). One theme? All underpowered 4-cylinders. Only two automatics. Hopefully I'll own something with more than 150hp someday!
Lawl. The only thing I had with less than 150hp was a 1960 AMC Rambler Six. I think it had 127 Gross HP.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Looks like a nice car. I kind of wish they sold more cars like this in the States.
Be careful what you wish for! I preface this by stating that I love this little car...

but North Americans would find this unbelievably underpowered. It's a hoot to drive as you're constantly rowing through the gears (which I consider an integral part of driving) and it has very likeable handling, but on anything short of flat roads you're constantly needing to dip into the throttle to keep it moving, or even downshift. Aside from a few early adopters or teenage girls who think it's cute, I don't see how this car would sell in the US without a more powerful engine.

Enjoy your new Ka. We had them in Australia but not anymore. We pronounced it Car (as Ford suggested). My first car was an Alfa-sud so I have had the fun of changing gear ad infinitum. Great if the road is right. I used to love having a thrash down the Great Ocean Road -ah the memories. Still the wagon suits my purpose at the moment -I don't own it I just drive it.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.