Registered
1,322 Posts
The Peugeot cuts begin.

Reactions: eklauss

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,685 Posts
Yeah, I saw this on a different site. I kind of figured it was coming or I mean going to be axed :(. Maybe between new ownership and what's already out they figured why bother. It would be nice to know the real inner goings on though.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Wasn't this supposed to be a Dakota based off of the Gladiator platform? Too expensive would be my guess.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,685 Posts
Wasn't this supposed to be a Dakota based off of the Gladiator platform? Too expensive would be my guess.
Who knows, they probably wont even figure out another way either. Or do they even have anything like maybe the Durango they could go off of?

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
EV transition, TBH I wouldn't be surprised if the GW got cut...probably too far along to kill but the investment isn't worth it for something thatll be phased out in the next 7-10 years.

The SRT move doesn't concern me... yet. From what I read the SRT models will continue through this cycle and next and they'll be a part of corporate perf variants going forward...at least that's what they're saying.

·
Registered
16,941 Posts
Interesting. I'd think the Dakota would be a comparatively low cost (in automotive terms "low cost") as it was sharing the already developed platform with the Gladiator.

Maybe once you take out the lost profit from the cannibalized sale from the full sized trucks the remaining profits aren't worth it?

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Don't know if it has been posted yet...But the SRT division is dead, too...

SRT is dead. Stellantis has axed Chrysler’s performance division. – SpeedTwitch.com
Ralph Gilles made it crystal clear that electric assistance is the way forward. Dan Sandberg asked the head of design at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles when we’ll see a production car with over 1,000 hp.
“It might be a combination of electrification and gas,”
said Ralph Gilles. “The technology is there.” What technology, you may be asking yourself?
Take a look at the world of supercars, and you’ll notice lots of hybrid and plug-in hybrid applications. FCA intends to replicate this formula for the next-generation Challenger, which is going to pack an interesting tranny.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd wager that SRT will continue to appear on hi-po variants, like SS for Chevrolet in the past regardless of whether or not an actual division or workgroup continues to operate under the banner.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Thanks Stellantis.

I can't wait to see the silly moves this "company" makes.
Like @DequindreToo said they are probably reallocating costs to some insane plan that is not going to work. My guess this will be some rollercoaster over the next few years resulting in brands getting shut down and then the executives wondering why their plan isn't working.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I can see the argument for killing the Dakota as with the higher priced gladiator + the SMALL market for midsized pick ups and add in the NEED to develop EV vehicles and the high likeliness that lower volume segment products will have a short "shelf life"
as far as I understand it the SRT as-a-brand is being dismantled and put back how it used to be before they created a "Stand alone" brand of SRT

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
I can see the argument for killing the Dakota as with the higher priced gladiator + the SMALL market for midsized pick ups and add in the NEED to develop EV vehicles and the high likeliness that lower volume segment products will have a short "shelf life"
as far as I understand it the SRT as-a-brand is being dismantled and put back how it used to be before they created a "Stand alone" brand of SRT
In North America, the mid size segment is sizable compared to other parts of the globe. GMC Colorado with its limited dealerships moved 121,000 units in 2020 Without Canada and Mexico
That is a fairly sizable chunk of sales.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Maybe Production is limited? Gladiator sold 20,500 units in Q4, so 80k+ per year at high MSRP/Margin. Do they have capacity to throw on top fo that with new GC 3 row + Wagoneer/GW launching this year? They are going to make more money off of those SUV's than they would a Dakota.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts