GM Inside News Forum banner

New Porsche 911

3K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  pupp1 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Originally posted by phishndave+May 11 2004, 04:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (phishndave @ May 11 2004, 04:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ibechip@May 11 2004, 10:31 PM
Yeah I'd take a Vette over that any day.  BTW, does the Vette sell well in Europe??  I know it will keep up with popular European sports cars for the same price so you'd think there was a market for it.
you're an idiot [/b][/quote]
be nice... ;)

I think Porsche's are boring :rudolph:

#8 ·
Okay, this retro craze has gone way too far! I mean, do people miss the '93 911 that much where they had to go do a retro car of it? Maybe GM could've styled the C6 to look like a C4, then Car & Driver could have a nostalgia comparo.

#10 ·
Originally posted by phishndave+May 11 2004, 10:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (phishndave @ May 11 2004, 10:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ibechip@May 11 2004, 10:31 PM
Yeah I'd take a Vette over that any day.  BTW, does the Vette sell well in Europe??  I know it will keep up with popular European sports cars for the same price so you'd think there was a market for it.
you're an idiot [/b][/quote]
wow excuse me for asking a question

#11 ·
That is why they unvieled the C6 conv at Geneva (Europe), hoping to boost sales there, especially since convertables are so popular out East

#14 ·
Uhm. The 911 has always looked pretty much the same. It evolves, just like the Corvette. Sure, the difference between the C1 and C6 is pretty pronounced, but between generations the style hasn't changed a whole lot. Many of you who are complaining about this 911 being boring and "not new" are the same who praised the C6 for being exciting and new, when it looked like little more than a mildly updated C5.

But I guess I still expect too much of some of you when I point out the hypocrisy here.

#15 ·
I think it looks good. Very smooth, but the headlights are odd. I loved the old headlights and how they were shapped. Very modern. As for the retro-ness of this car, the Porsche 911 has never really changed its shape since it came out. I love the new lines, but not the neadlights. I like it, but I'd get a C6. I want to see how a Z51 keeps up with the 911. 400hp base with big cross-drilled rotors, smaller body, longer wheelbase, tight body... the 911 is gunna have to do a lot to keep ahead of the C6 now.

#16 ·
I'll say here what I said in another forum: you guys just don't understand. This car isn't retro, it's a 911. The 996 was far removed from the design of all previous 911s, and now they're going back to the front-end design that makes a 911 a 911: the round headlamps and separate turn-signals. It's an evolution, just like the Vette, although even more subtle. If you ask me, this car is awesome. It also separates it more from the Boxster, which will also be redesigned in the next year or two. The 997 also gets a nice new engine in the Carrera S (3.8-liter for 355 hp).

#17 ·
Originally posted by awalbert88@May 11 2004, 10:22 PM
Uhm.  The 911 has always looked pretty much the same.  It evolves, just like the Corvette.  Sure, the difference between the C1 and C6 is pretty pronounced, but between generations the style hasn't changed a whole lot.  Many of you who are complaining about this 911 being boring and "not new" are the same who praised the C6 for being exciting and new, when it looked like little more than a mildly updated C5.

But I guess I still expect too much of some of you when I point out the hypocrisy here.
Whatever. You're not going to see a Taurus-shaped 911, so don't call us hypocrates because you're bitter about that.

I get so tired of the fools like this clown who come here with unconstructive criticism of those of us who support GM product. I have no problem with somebody who has a different point of you than me, but at least have something to say intead of just name-calling.

What do you drive, awalbert88? A Capri?

#18 ·
Originally posted by heat_fan1@May 11 2004, 10:55 PM
I'll say here what I said in another forum: you guys just don't understand.  This car isn't retro, it's a 911.  The 996 was far removed from the design of all previous 911s, and now they're going back to the front-end design that makes a 911 a 911: the round headlamps and separate turn-signals.  It's an evolution, just like the Vette, although even more subtle.  If you ask me, this car is awesome.  It also separates it more from the Boxster, which will also be redesigned in the next year or two.  The 997 also gets a nice new engine in the Carrera S (3.8-liter for 355 hp).
awalbert88 should take notes from this guy!

I don't agree with his take, but it's coherent, makes sense and doesn't involve name-calling.

#20 ·
you could show me this porsche and i wouldn't know that it's not the current version. after reading here i realise that the headlights are totally different, but at a glance, to the untrained eye (such as mine), there's not much to distinguish different generations of porsches. but i'm sure that anyone who'd be seriosuly considering a porsche would know the difference. i happen to be more interested in the corvette, and am therefore a little biased, but i do see, relatively speaking, greater changes to the newest version. exposed versus hidden headlights, for one! but the porsche 911 doesn't answer to anyone, and a gentle evolution is in keeping with what the porsche is all about.

#21 ·
There's no doubt about it: this thing is gonna be a blast to drive!

#23 ·
Aren't 911s and Corvettes slightly out of league of each other? I've always imagined the Covette as a "bargain" American sports car: America's FAVORITE, and 911s as more exclusive and more expensive, but fun nonetheless. Besides, most Porsches are around 100K.

#24 ·
Originally posted by RCtennis3811@May 12 2004, 04:17 PM
Aren't 911s and Corvettes slightly out of league of each other? I've always imagined the Covette as a "bargain" American sports car: America's FAVORITE, and 911s as more exclusive and more expensive, but fun nonetheless. Besides, most Porsches are around 100K.
No, they don't compete. I don't know why anyone is comparing the two. Some of us used the C6 design as a comparison to this 997 design, in that neither was a huge change, but more so just evolutionary.

That said, the 911 does start at $68,000 and only the 4S Cabrio, GT3, Turbo models, and GT2 are over $90,000 (4S is $93,000 and GT3 $99,900). So the 911 isn't as expensive as most people think. But it is a much more luxurious car than the Vette, and it is more expensive.

#25 ·
Originally posted by heat_fan1+May 12 2004, 04:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (heat_fan1 @ May 12 2004, 04:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RCtennis3811@May 12 2004, 04:17 PM
Aren't 911s and Corvettes slightly out of league of each other?  I've always imagined the Covette as a "bargain" American sports car: America's FAVORITE, and 911s as more exclusive and more expensive, but fun nonetheless.  Besides, most Porsches are around 100K.
No, they don't compete. I don't know why anyone is comparing the two. Some of us used the C6 design as a comparison to this 997 design, in that neither was a huge change, but more so just evolutionary.

That said, the 911 does start at $68,000 and only the 4S Cabrio, GT3, Turbo models, and GT2 are over $90,000 (4S is $93,000 and GT3 $99,900). So the 911 isn't as expensive as most people think. But it is a much more luxurious car than the Vette, and it is more expensive. [/b][/quote]
But as two-seat, high-performance sports cars, they certainly do get compared. And I'll bet there is a little cross-shopping despited the huge difference in price, although brand loyalty on both cars is probably very high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.