1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
185 Posts
That's definitely a great commercial! I love when they finally think of something different to do than the same old stuff. On the flip side, anyone that isn't a die hard Pontiac or G8 fan will laugh when it comes up with "Pontiac is car.com" at the end of the commercial.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
That's definitely a great commercial! I love when they finally think of something different to do than the same old stuff. On the flip side, anyone that isn't a die hard Pontiac or G8 fan will laugh when it comes up with "Pontiac is car.com" at the end of the commercial.
They need to ditch that whole "Pontiac is..." crap ASAP. It completely ruins an otherwise perfect TV spot.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'm kind of disappointed...After watching the video, I went to the Pontiac website. I used the "Build your Pontiac" tool, and it sucks. I couldn't add anything cool to the G8. No machine guns, no missile launchers, no smoke screen, and definitely no oil slick. I think GM really dropped the ball on this one.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Ahahaha...good one Pontiac, but I think that all Pontiac commercials need to be more aggressive, more viceral. The Chevy Lumina SS commercial from where ever is what Pontiac needs to have.

·
Registered
499 Posts
This is definitely good appeal to the people who will buy this car -- they were all playing that game at the time they were in college or high school. Much more clever than that idiotic Crapota commercial with the badgers.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Ahahaha...good one Pontiac, but I think that all Pontiac commercials need to be more aggressive, more viceral.
I agree. The GTO burnout commercials were pretty good, but I haven't seen anything worthwhile since then.

I'm not a big fan of this commercial as it still uses the 'Pontiac is Car' tagline. And the gimmic does not convey that this car is a real performer... to do that, you need to see the car behaving naturally, not the unnatural motions conveyed in the commercial.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
It should have read "Pontiac are Car" as a nod to engrish....

But seriously, this is a great return to "excitement" since the parent group panned Corvette dream commercial. I hope the fact that it caters to the over 30 age group is the saving grace from this getting attacked..... since we all know that when we, the over 30ers, get into a fast car like a Trans Am or the new G8 we start either humming the Knight Rider theme as we take off like a bat out of hell or think we are one of the Duke boys out running the PO-lice.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I hope the G8 has more than 2 gears. High & Low..............:confused:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Here at GMi the concensus is that "Pontiac is..." tag line is crap.

However outside of GMi, the non enthusiasts (the real buyers) are welcoming this line or simply don't care. Personally i think the line works for the consumer.

I stole some comments from Jalopnik for measure.

That's the coolest commercial ever.
Pontiac or not, they could be advertising AIDS-infested flood-damaged Daewoos filled with WWII German memorabilia and I would still sign up for their newsletter.
Also, is the Spy Hunter theme the coolest theme song ever? I thought so too.

<LI class="comment CommentBox" id=c4697147 name="c4697147">by kingflingat 01:05 AM Reply

Absolutely killer. Nice job Pontiac. Every G8 should be delivered from the back of a weapons van!

<LI class="comment CommentBox" id=c4697149 name="c4697149">by MerWizat 01:05 AM Reply

Ah cool, I really liked that commercial. Good job Pontiac.

<LI class="comment CommentBox" id=c4697183 name="c4697183">by 612Blakeat 01:09 AM Reply

The coolest Australian car since the Pontiac GTO.

<LI class="comment CommentBox" id=c4697197 name="c4697197">by Mastodonat 01:12 AM Reply

That just happened.
They should give everyone a raise that worked on that spot.

<LI class="comment CommentBox" id=c4697260 name="c4697260">by AllenKat 01:21 AM Reply

That was great!

<LI class="comment CommentBox" id=c4697308 name="c4697308">by Boterat 01:27 AM Reply

Awesome commercial, and Jalop, awesome title for that gallery.

<LI class="comment CommentBox" id=c4697313 name="c4697313">

5,934 Posts
Ehh, kinda corny. Although the video game intro might interest some viewers, they'll be like, "What is this?"

With Pontiac being a strong supporter of the NCAA I hope to see a bunch of G8 ads during 'March Madness'.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have to agree with the person in that last article. Growing up in the 80's and having spent countless hours playing spy hunter, ( even though I know it's not possible) how cool would that be to have your car delivered by the weapons truck

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
It is a hell of lot better than a black G6 spinning in a black background talking about 0% APR and non of the features of the vehicles.

Good commercial, GM.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
And the gimmic does not convey that this car is a real performer... to do that, you need to see the car behaving naturally, not the unnatural motions conveyed in the commercial.
Ah come on man, are you serious?!? This ad shows the car accelerating, braking, swerving... how better can you showcase a performance sedans abilities?!? This is an awesome commercial that not only sticks in your mind but conveys the exact message they want to convey: this is one fun car!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm kind of disappointed...After watching the video, I went to the Pontiac website. I used the "Build your Pontiac" tool, and it sucks. I couldn't add anything cool to the G8. No machine guns, no missile launchers, no smoke screen, and definitely no oil slick. I think GM really dropped the ball on this one.

Then count me out. :D

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Great commercial but I'm really getting tired of hearing this ...first ever G8, G6, etc. That's a shallow quip. It could be the first ever yugo too.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.