GM Inside News Forum banner

New OnStar Navigation Services

4K views 47 replies 30 participants last post by  mbukukanyau 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
http://media.gm.com/servlet/Gateway...monthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=74&docid=44741

Dallas - OnStar today announced the introduction of two new navigational services to complement and enhance its existing Turn-by-Turn service, the most widely available navigation system on the market. These features solidify GM's leadership in navigation with more vehicles on the road with embedded navigation systems and more options than any other automaker.

The first new service is OnStar Destination Download, which enables OnStar subscribers with screen-based navigation systems to quickly input their destination while on the go via the simple press of a button. The second service, OnStar eNav, allows subscribers with a Turn-by-Turn Navigation-capable vehicle to find and save destinations on MapQuest.com and have those destinations sent to their vehicle's OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation system.

OoOoOoOoOooooo!

#3 ·
Still waiting for a flat fee for the personal calling feature. I LOVE that feature and how it integrates into the car, but why keep charging fees that are more like cell calling plans from the early 90's? It has so much potential that is being wasted for short term profits. To be honest, that Microsoft Sync on Ford products is looking mighty nice right now................

#4 ·
Still waiting for a flat fee for the personal calling feature. I LOVE that feature and how it integrates into the car, but why keep charging fees that are more like cell calling plans from the early 90's? It has so much potential that is being wasted for short term profits.
Agreed, but would Verizon permit this?

For various reasons, I have my phone and wireless card on Alltel. I would love to "hook up" my OnStar phone with Alltel just as one can with Verizon. In my case, this would be an acceptable solution. They're both on CDMA...

#5 ·
This was needed in order to keep Onstar relevent since all GM vehicles are supposed to have bluetooth available next year. I think it's good since you currently have to have the car in park or stopped to input addresses. This way the advisor can do it for you on the go! I never understood why Onstar wasn't integrated with the onboard nav system.

#8 ·
I had onstar basic for 1 year. It was useless. not worth the money.

It's actually a positive for you that you feel the basic service was useless. The Safe and Sound (basic) package is just that, it's a safety feature that you hope you never have to use just like insurance. My mother rolled her Monte Carlo 4 times and was unable to call for help. Onstar was there and able to get her the help she needed quickly so that she could walk away with just bumps and bruises. To my family the service is priceless and worth every penny.

#11 ·
To my family the service is priceless and worth every penny.
I like the idea of the emergency service but I think the monthly fee is simply too expensive. Last I knew, it was $15 for the basic Safe & Sound pkg. While I understand the notion that it's worth the price for the peace of mind, I think the reason many choose not to continue OnStar service past the first year is because of the cost. As you add calling and navigation services, it can be a pretty pricey endeavor. Perhaps if you frequently travel to unfamiliar places or find yourself lost often those features are worthwhile.

One thing I do not like is how relentless OnStar is about continuing your subscription and selling their services. I find it absolutely unacceptable that they can interrupt your car's radio to sell their product. That's in addition to the phone calls, emails and frequent mailings to do the same.

#14 ·
Most of us graduated from picture books long ago. How hard is translating written or spoken language for you? Are you confused by "right" or "left" and need a "<----" or "--->" to tell you which direction that is?

#10 ·
I beta-tested the eNAv feature.
When we bought our 07 Impala, we immidiately upgraded to include Turn by turn navigation.
At a later date- we were sent email asking if we wanted to beta test the mapquest/onstar feature.we went ahead and used it- (I still use it).... its simple. And since we had been previous mapquest users- the combination is great. We then had questionaires about it. including the possible name... I guess they chose eNav.
But we sure like it...
My gf likes it- and (sister just bought an 08 Buick Lucerne), and she has started using Turn by turn. She likes it alot.
One thing they both said- is that they dont care to look at a screen with maps and arrows and colors. they also dont care to learn how to operate a new GPS system....
Sisters bf used a Garmin portable nav system- and my sister just couldnt stand the thing... she simply refused to play with it. The Onstar- she calls with no problem.
some people just dont like techy gizmos that require alot of button pushing...

#28 ·
I personally would rather push the blue button and tell the dude on the other end where I'd like to go and that's it. I give him an address, it gives me directions. Rather than futz around with voice-recognition that only works about half the time, or piddle with endless touchscreen menus (that also don't always work) Downloading a destination from Mapquest? Even better! Now I don't even have to tell the guy where I'm going--I can do it from my PC before I leave and when I take off I'm already good to go.

I think this is a brilliant idea and I'm personally surprised nobody thought of it sooner.

#30 ·
I purchased a brand new Aura a few months ago and I'm not planning on renewing my subscription with onstar. I don't think it's worth the price. Onstar should offer the safe and sound package plus the directions included (plus whatever else they offer) as a normal service. I loved the turn by directions until it ran out. To renew it, it would cost (I think, don't remember exactly) around $13.00 a month just for the directions, plus $200.00 a year for onstar, your at $360.00 a year for a service i've used about 4 times. I just bought a nice Garmin Nav system that has the AAA guide book (hotels, food, lodging, and so on) for $250.00. That's a much better deal imho. Also, does anyone know for sure if you can still hit the emergency button for onstar even after the contract is up?

#35 ·
I purchased a brand new Aura a few months ago and I'm not planning on renewing my subscription with onstar. I don't think it's worth the price. Onstar should offer the safe and sound package plus the directions included (plus whatever else they offer) as a normal service. I loved the turn by directions until it ran out. To renew it, it would cost (I think, don't remember exactly) around $13.00 a month just for the directions, plus $200.00 a year for onstar, your at $360.00 a year for a service i've used about 4 times. I just bought a nice Garmin Nav system that has the AAA guide book (hotels, food, lodging, and so on) for $250.00. That's a much better deal imho. Also, does anyone know for sure if you can still hit the emergency button for onstar even after the contract is up?

For The full package it is $399/yr or $33/month and no your Emergency button will not work if you discontinue your service.

I am guessing you spent about $650 for a nice Garmin and a couple hundred to have AAA subscription sounds to me that you spent more for less??? and what does your garmin do when you encounter a road closure ?? or the airbags are deployed ??

#31 ·
We have it in our 2007 Buick, and love the Turn by Turn NAV on vacation. Much easier to push one button and tell someone where you want to go than playing with a screen, plus you can do it after you start rolling, saving you a couple minutes.

But I do agree it's overpriced. I wish they'd lower pricing, and/or offer a pay-per-use plan. Most of the time we use it while on vacation, in unfamiliar areas.

#40 ·
some people say its too expensive...
so far to me- its worth it. The gf uses it the most for work. she needs to get around- and its very very VERY helpful. So for the time being- we'll continue with the service.
Now- pricewise.....maybe some can afford it, some cannot....
But im willing to bet that some people that say $30 a month is too much... are also the people who go out to eat fast food several times a week and pay at least $30 for a large pizza and drinks....
its not going to kill you to eat 1 less pizza a month and eat in... or not take the kids out for burgers.....

#41 ·
My mother's car was hit by a Tahoe that spun her around and totaled her car. The Tahoe driver kept going and lucky for my mother the Tahoe's OnStar system called the police and the ambulance because the Tahoe sensors indicated a crash. This a-hole left my mother injured, in the middle of the street, in the dark of night and the Tahoe had enough sense to help her. Guess what, because of OnStar the police found the guy and charged him and he paid my mom what she deserved. Obviously, she will NEVER own a vehicle that does not have OnStar. OnStar is a benefit to everyone for a price that could be lower but is WELL worth it. I guess people will always find something to complain about, if OnStar was available at the $99 store someone would still post a problem about it. I say get over it.....:cool:

#48 ·
My mother's car was hit by a Tahoe that spun her around and totaled her car. The Tahoe driver kept going and lucky for my mother the Tahoe's OnStar system called the police and the ambulance because the Tahoe sensors indicated a crash. This a-hole left my mother injured, in the middle of the street, in the dark of night and the Tahoe had enough sense to help her. Guess what, because of OnStar the police found the guy and charged him and he paid my mom what she deserved. Obviously, she will NEVER own a vehicle that does not have OnStar. OnStar is a benefit to everyone for a price that could be lower but is WELL worth it. I guess people will always find something to complain about, if OnStar was available at the $99 store someone would still post a problem about it. I say get over it.....:cool:
wow!!! this is awesome...

#44 ·
Oh geeze people.

I'll weigh in now.

My wife has a 2007 Aura. Got turn by turn for her and hooked up the verizon phone...added to my family plan. Cost from verizon $10 a month, just like any additional phone for them. Minutes are plan minutes and free most times. Worth it? Yes, when we've been on the road, great feature.

I say that to say this. I now have also have a 2007 Acadia. Loaded. Every option including HUD (bought used). It has the Nav. Which do I like better? Turn by turn although I wish to god I had both integrated like they are now going to do.

Nav system (my second nav system in a car)- Positives

Map to see where I am...look for possible alternative without guessing where it leads me.

Audio touch screen integration etc.

Tells me when I'm going to get somewhere.

Cons -

Not up to date DVD damn it....(not as accurate as the Tom tom I have for our third car)

If you don't know the address...you are screwed.

Need to add in an address...what a pain.

Can't do anything BUT give directions ie it's an idiot

Turn by turn - Positives

I can hit a button...and can ask where the hell is the nearest ____ store like I did around Christmas time. I didn't have to go online for an address. They knew where I was and how far it was to get what I wanted. Holy crap that was awesome. Went to jcpenny to get something, and it wasn't there! It's snowing outside and I'm 20 miles from home. MMM maybe there is a Jordan's around here. I know where one is near home, but NO CLUE where any others are. I hit a button and problem solved. Try that with your nav. You better know every place you plan to go before leaving the house.

No address to enter. I can do it on the move. No waiting for a signal for the Tom Tom. No getting in and entering all that crap into the nav. Hit a button and drive.

It does all kinds of things other than navigate. Unlock the car for the forgetful wife. Call in an emergency. Find a stolen car (although easily disabled) and emails me that I have to get on my wife's butt about getting air in that rear tire.

No uploads needed to get accurate directions....ever. Huge plus for me. Things change in Boston and surrounding area weekly it seems. Only turn by turn has gotten Boston right so far. The Acadia and the Lexus nav before it were/are LOST.

Cons.

No pretty screen to look at.

If I need to make a minor adjustment in directions I don't have a map to see what would make sense. In Mass, there are a million ways to get anywhere.

I have to pay $10 a month more for it (over regular onstar $28.95 a month total)....yet also didn't have to pay $2000 grand up front and DVD's once a year to update. Call it even?

Give me the new features they are talking about and all cons go POOF! (ability to update my nav wirelessly too please)

As for basic onstar? A little pricey, but my kids and wife are in that car in horrid weather all winter. The peace of mind for me is worth it. Not that anything will ever happen, but I sleep better knowing it's on there. If I were a single guy? Probably not worth it to me. In Florida (married but no winters)....maybe, maybe not. Life is a risk as some have said. It's not worthless in the least, but to some, it might not be worth it to them. Ok, don't sign up.

#47 · (Edited)
Cons -

Not up to date DVD damn it....(not as accurate as the Tom tom I have for our third car)
Goes both ways... The DVD in my Wife's Acura has our neighborhood correct, even tho the DVD is over a year old... If you go online to mapquest, the directions to our house are wrong.

If you don't know the address...you are screwed.

Need to add in an address...what a pain.

Can't do anything BUT give directions ie it's an idiot
Sounds like it's just the system in your Aura. On our cars, if you don't know the address, you can just go by the destination name. Entering an address is not a pain either. If you do'nt like the touchscreen, just use the voice commands. It also gives more than directions. It gives you phone numbers and can show traffic information.

Turn by turn - Positives

I can hit a button...and can ask where the hell is the nearest ____ store like I did around Christmas time. I didn't have to go online for an address. They knew where I was and how far it was to get what I wanted. Holy crap that was awesome.
You can do that do on a voice-activated DVD-Nav system.

As for basic onstar? A little pricey, but my kids and wife are in that car in horrid weather all winter. The peace of mind for me is worth it. Not that anything will ever happen, but I sleep better knowing it's on there. If I were a single guy? Probably not worth it to me. In Florida (married but no winters)....maybe, maybe not. Life is a risk as some have said. It's not worthless in the least, but to some, it might not be worth it to them. Ok, don't sign up.
I suppose. Around here tho, I'd rathre have GSM than CDMA, since CDMA coverage is pretty poor in some places where I go to. Even more so since our company has discounted plans for the GSM providers. And if you commute out in the sticks where you don't get cell reception at all in some areas, On-Star doesn't work anyways. (Contrary to popular belief, it does NOT use the satellite for voice/data communication)

But like I was saying in my previous post... If GM allowed OnStar to bind to any phone using Bluetooth, and used your existing phone/plan as a cellular provider, it would be fantastic. This would reduce cost of the plan, plus it makes it so you don't need a separate phone number for the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.