GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading my Motor Trend (yah I know) and it had this huge spread on the Mustang, and now I am even more confused and grossed out. One, I thought retro was out?? This thing really doesnt have any appeal to me espescially the interior... yuck. and I am the age of the typical Mustang buyer, atleast in my area, and i wouldnt touch one. Well I guess If they think it is a good thing and that it will sell, good luck. :huh:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I have pretty much the same feelings on the car as you. I don't understand how anyone could find it appealing. But all people have different tastes... whether I think they are bad tastes or good. I hope that the car does well, only because I value the American economy. However, I hope that all sales come from foreign automaker's customers. :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree I hope the market is out there, but its not me. Taking the bite out of foriegn competition is what I try to pay attention to everyday, unlike some of my fellow employees, because it has a direct effect on me having a job.

·
Registered
284 Posts
This thing will sell, and it is very cool. You guys are just mad cause your Camaro got killed. Build a bridge and get over it. The Mustang will be a huge hit.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by philsshon@Dec 31 2003, 12:39 PM
This thing will sell, and it is very cool. You guys are just mad cause your Camaro got killed. Build a bridge and get over it. The Mustang will be a huge hit.
I remember reading that saying in a post... hhhmmm?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I wonder what will become of the V-10 Mustang :huh: ...All the major magazines have articles on it. ;)

·
Registered
776 Posts
I think it will continue being a girly-girl car, like it is now. Which is really a shame, considering the new styling looks drop dead gorgeous. I mean, if you don't like 68-69 mustangs you just don't like cars, and you should probably have a different hobby. I'm not saying retro is the way to go forever, but this car looks good.

My gripe is the panzy 4.6 L engine. Yay, it can now be on par with my 4th Gen. F-body. Big deal. Why does Ford always have to be a generation behind on powertrain?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@Jan 1 2004, 11:44 PM
I mean, if you don't like 68-69 mustangs you just don't like cars, and you should probably have a different hobby.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My gripe is the panzy 4.6 L engine. Yay, it can now be on par with my 4th Gen. F-body. Big deal. Why does Ford always have to be a generation behind on powertrain?
I take offense at that first comment...

...but you gave GM kudos for drivetrain, so it's all good. :D

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The market 4 it is there,just listen 2 Phil and Ford100fan. Some of the same people who ran out and made the Bahma Men's classic song "Who let the dogs out" a winner will also make this latest iteration of the Stang a sucesss. It's gonna sell,and sell it will alot,but after the "newness" (HA!) of the...how was that term used??..oh yeah.....,but after the newness of the "Retrofuturistic" styling wears off will people start 2 see it 4 what it really is?,a ugly assed Mustang. If U don't think so look @ the V-6 :blink: then look @ the picture of the GT in Sliver :blink:. Oh yeah thats ugly.
Ford should have just evolved the current Stang instead of throwing away a pretty solid design 4 some quick cash. Enjoy it while U can retro boys because UR setting urselves up 4 a huge let down in a couple of years when this cars sales start 2 slow down,much like the Beetle and THunderbird's did when they weren't tremdy anymore.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
i saw both these cars at sema a few months ago, and i hate to say it, but i think i would learn towards the mustang. i know the gto has the cool engine/tranny setup, but the mustang has the looks! when you are sitting in traffic (and i know you have) who needs a mega horsepower engine! when they hit the streets, then i can make a better look at them. at least they are rear drive!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@Jan 2 2004, 05:44 AM

"A panzy 4.6L?" The Mach 1 has 310 hp. thats pretty much par with the last gen WS6 and still building them.

Need more spend the extra $10000 on the SVT

·
Registered
475 Posts
Unforutnately, on the strip I've never seen a stock Mach 1 Mustang break past high 13/low 14 times.

The N/A 4.6L motor just isn't that great for a performance car.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Ive grown tired of retro designed cars, and after they destroyed the concept to make this failed abortion, I feel that this car quite possibly could fail faster then most other retro cars, but I could be wrong. Seing this car day after day in the shear mass that I see mustangs now would eventualy grow tired, but it doesnt seem to happen with mustangs for whatever reason. I just sit back and hope that the American Revolution makes me a dam Camaro so I can fight these disgraces to the name muscle car. I never liked mustangs, never will like mustangs. GM and Chevy, give us back the Camaro so we can shut these ford fairys up. Im sick and tired of 03 cobra this, mach 1 that... Its time to seal the deal. 390hp Z28 and a 450hp SS should do just fine to put this 300hp failure to bed quick, like its been happening for over a decade, lets not stop now. I forgive you for taking away the Camaro, but please enough toying with us. The GTO isnt going to be a hit like you wanted it too as everyone cant get past the styling, so now its time to deliver the goods. A 3500lb car, 6spd, and all the torque a man could ask for is what I want. GM, I want this car or something like it soon as I cant stand waiting anymore. At least throw out a concept or something. Give me something to hope for!

·
Registered
316 Posts
the 67 and 68 mustangs i think were some of the most beautiful cars designed. the new ones however, are a very poor rip off that is not well executed. i liked the concept cars well enough but knew the retro styling would not work well in production trim. the cars look like matchbox cars...very silly. this design only diminishes the beauty and heritage of the old mustangs...if i owned a nice 67 i think i'd be very upset. i'd be even more pissed if i had helped design the 67...what a shame. the car very likely will be successful...but will quickly grow tiring as others have stated. also...where else does ford think they can go with this? are they gonna do retro versions of the 71 and later models next?

·
Registered
94 Posts
i think it plain ol sucks..powertrain, looks, all of it. dont get me wrong i like old mustangs ..hell i like mustangs..just on a different team...at least it doesnt look like *** crap hehe..i dont know i guess i just think they are working backwards instead of forwards. oh well as long as it sells and takes sales away from foriegn manufacturers then i can live with it hehe

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by 3eb@Jan 2 2004, 09:00 PM
the 67 and 68 mustangs i think were some of the most beautiful cars designed. the new ones however, are a very poor rip off that is not well executed. i liked the concept cars well enough but knew the retro styling would not work well in production trim. the cars look like matchbox cars...very silly. this design only diminishes the beauty and heritage of the old mustangs...if i owned a nice 67 i think i'd be very upset. i'd be even more pissed if i had helped design the 67...what a shame. the car very likely will be successful...but will quickly grow tiring as others have stated. also...where else does ford think they can go with this? are they gonna do retro versions of the 71 and later models next?
Maybe in a couple of years we will see a retro Mustang II!! ahahahahah! :lol:

Yeah, if you think about if this mustang falls short of expectiations, then what? What if the droves of teenage girls dont like this style? What happens when V6 sales plumet like they did on the Fbody? Will the mustang go away, and what is ford have ready for the next generation of teh mustang? Is this chassis just gunna keep getting band-aided and fixed to compete with the likes of teh sports cars from chevy and dodge? Will the infamous mustang fall the same fate as it did in the mid 70's? Will it disapear never to return? Maybe the Camaro will get the last laugh after all. I really home that the Camaro comes back in a non-retro styled fashon and shocks the american public with its good looks and great over all performance. Sleek, sharp, smooth. No concpet I have seen so far really has given me any insperation to make me want it really bad. When I see first, 2nd and third gen fbodies, i see the nice lines and sweet looks. The 4th gens are different in where I see more of a new age look that really doesnt apeal to me, but is a camaro in its own right with major power and performance. Nothing will beat a first gen's style, but dont copy it just because you cant think of anything else? It should be insperation to make such a timeless look like the first gen. The slight lines, strong apearance, and great over all car its just fantastic. This should be GM's designers basis for design, not ripping off a 30 year old car. Think about the heritage of the Camaro and include that into the cars design. Muscular lines, low slung, sleek style. I wish I had some drawing skills so I could express what I want to see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's really too bad that auto manufacturers hack up the concepts. I was putting money aside for the new stang based on the concepts, but when I saw production pictures I about puked. And it aint cuz I'm a GM fan. Pride aside, I know what a dope car looks like. If anything the mustang aftermarket will be a hit because without the aftermarket parts on the new one, it simply looks like a reject '80's concept car. A sad remake of a classic. Maybe a lower stance and some better wheels than those crappy factory things and ditch those stupid center pair of headlights. Thing almost looks like a rally car. Oh well, I don't think this stang will last long.....but I could be wrong. Just my .02.

GM FOR LIFE!!!!

KDR CHEVELLEDUDE

·
Registered
79 Posts
i dunno when it first came out i really really hated it. Now its starting to grow on me kind of like the 99-present ones, i really didnt like them at all and now i think theyre pretty hot even if a bit high riding. i guess well see what happens.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I dont know what the ford fans are braging about, that ford doesnt have any designers amongst it that can design a new good looking car? the GT, new Mustang, even the concept cobra have all been retro. Ford..."were we rebuild have run out of ideas."

When it does get released it will blow up, and they will be everywhere like they are now but in greater numbers, then it will get very TIRED and people will hate it. What reason does Ford have to replease anything more powerful then the current cobra when they have the GT out?

Chevy isnt gunna be putting out a Cobra slaughtering car either. the Vette is already getting its 400HP, and as we all know GM wont release anything that outpowers it. Also luts said that if the Cobra does jump up to 400 or higher numbers don't expect the new Camaro to follow. You might see some high 300's, but I wouldnt expect mutch beyond that.

Personally if I wanted a car that looks like a 67-68 I would go buy a 67-68. retro is retarded.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts