GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to the new GMInsidenews.com!

New Site

I would like to welcome you to the new and improved GMI. We have put a fresh new face on our already successful interface and added a few new features. The new design is simple and functional, paying homage to GM’s new cars and ad campaign. In terms of new features we have added several non-forum pages to the site as reference tools. The Future Products Roadmap is a matrix that outlines GM’s future product plans to 2007 based on the latest information available. Every time news is revealed, it will be updated. Also new, are the Engine Guide, and Auto Shows Zone which we believe will become valuable reference materials. Back by popular demand is the Featured Concept section which will change from time to time as the best submissions come in. Our biggest surprise of the redesign is the new Photo Gallery Section. Every member gets a gallery when they register that is tied to their message board account that is free for their use. It is our way of saying “Thanks!”. Our only stipulations are that you post nothing objectionable (sex, gore, copyrighted, or anything we don’t like) and that you please don’t post embargoed photos or ones you do not own. If we see something that we don’t like…it will be deleted. Also in the spirit of Autoshow season we are allowing unregistered members to browse the forums for the first time in a year. This free access period will be from January 4th to the 18th, so please stop in and take a look!

New Editor

It is my honor to introduce Marc Silverman (a.k.a Rex Raider) as the new Managing Editor of GMI. What does this mean? Basically my other sites are requiring a lot of my development time, and I need someone who can handle the basic aspects of running this site. Those include updating the main page, assisting staff members, and the little things moderation and design wise that keep the site afloat. My commitments with my other sites make it hard to cover these aspects, so I have chosen Marc to handle them. Marc has been a member of the site since the beginning, and I trust him to make the correct decisions to keep it on it’s successful path. I am not going anywhere and will remain as the publisher, editor, administrator (insert important sounding name webmasters like here). Marc also owns sponsor site www.sub300.com, so if you are in the market for an inexpensive but great computer, feel free to check it out!

Still the #1 GM News Site!

When I first started GMInsidenews.com a couple years ago I never thought it would get to be the site you see today. At the time I was just a GM junkie who noticed there were no GM news sites out there that were dedicated to getting the inside scoop on things like future cars. Armed with no knowledge of HTML, I took on building my own site that was admittedly at first was very rough looking. No forums, just basically a few news sections that were updated in HTML whenever I got the chance. As interest in the site grew, I focused more time and resources on adding improvements that have slowly built site into what you see today. The first big improvement to come was the forums which allowed us to become a community, not just a static site(anyone who remembers the original Snitz software we had back in 2001 is surely glad we have moved forward). One forum related policy that created a bit of controversy occurred last year when we began forcing users to register for our forums to read them. Many predicted GMI’s demise over the move, however contrary to those predictions the site has flourished and now has nearly TEN THOUSAND members. Also at the beginning of last year we became the first GM news site to switch to the commercial grade Invision Power Board software which allows essentially every forum feature on the market today. Alongside the forums, several features you see on other sites got their start on GMI. One such example is the “Featured Amateur Concept” and our concept forum for users to post their photo shops. This forum led to the inspiration for GMI to have the wildly successful fifth Generation Camaro design. After several submissions, and a public vote, the contest that saw one winner’s design sent to the GM and the Fbodfather himself! And even with this new redesign we are taking our community a step forward by offering our members a free photo hosting gallery tied into their GMI account.

In 2002 I opened www.NewAgeGTO.com, the first website dedicated to the 2004 and beyond GTO. Since then NewAgeGTO has grown exponentially and has become the main advertising income source between the two sites. This added income has allowed us to upgrade GMI to fast roomy servers and better software. Unlike other sites we can pay our hosting bill just fine, matter of fact you can post and link to pictures on our site all you want. As a matter of fact in November alone, GMInsidenews had 9.1 million hits, served over 1 million pages, had 67,000 individual visits, all while running 39+ gigabytes of transfer (more than a 1 gig a day!). This has allowed GMI to easily retain it’s spot as the top #1 GM news site!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
AWESOME!!!!! :bounce:

CONGRATS REXY!!!!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Good job Branden, and good luck to Marc i think you will do a fine job. Also glad to see that Branden will still be around. The new site looks good, now I have to sit and get used to it. I know i hvent been here that long, and hopefully dont sound too weird, but I feel like family here and I like it.
Good luck, great site!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I like the new look. Good work guys.

Rex is doing a good job getting the pictures up the minute after the embargos are lifted. Keep up the good work and thank you for making this web site possible.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rex has been a great help. he did a lot of work the last two weeks keeping the new up so I could get the site done. We hope to keep adding to the static pages. NSAP did the Engines Page and TaHoE did the basic layout for the Future Products roadmap. :mf_boff:

·
Registered
29 Posts
...Alongside the forums, several features you see on other sites got their start on GMI. One such example is the “Featured Amateur Concept” and our concept forum for users to post their photo shops...
<_< Told you it was a good idea.
The new site looks phenomenal. Keep it up, and I may "switch teams" :ph34r:
Congratulations to Marc! B)

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by Branden@Jan 5 2004, 01:47 AM
Rex has been a great help. he did a lot of work the last two weeks keeping the new up so I could get the site done. We hope to keep adding to the static pages. NSAP did the Engines Page and TaHoE did the basic layout for the Future Products roadmap. :mf_boff:
Hey I did a litte more than the basic layout :lol: , looks good Branden, Congrats Rex!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great work! All of the hours and sweat really show. Thank you so much for becoming the number #1 legitimate media source for my GM auto information.
You guys have blown all of the big boys out of the water. Crain & Hachette are sitting on tons of printing presses & the related infrastructure and being regularly blown out of the water by you folks. Isn't it great when you can bring a Corvette to a horse race? Thanks again!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great work guys ...the site looks amazing. Congrats to Rex for the promotion hehe. and my thanks to all who remade the site...flat rocking guys..keep up the good work :mf_boff:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Congrats agin, and I love the new look, the little kid makes me laugh! The site is cleaner and brighter looking, I like it! now i have to figure out how to log in... :huh:

·
Registered
259 Posts
i normally don't like mass change - especally when i was just getting used to the layout of the site. <_<

but noooooooo - someone waved a magic wand and now the site has turned for the better! :woot2:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Cool job Branden...I love this site sooooo much & wish you much luck in the future. As soon as I finish my race car(s), the GMI sticker will be placed in a VERY visible position.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts