GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
As for importing from China, I'm growing more comfortable with it, especially since I'm envious of the Chinese exclusive products coming from Ford and Lincoln like Mondeo, EVOS, and Zephyr. They even redesigned Explorer twice, fixing the design and quality issues of the US version which won't see any work done until 2024. Chinese customers are incredibly demanding so you see the attention to design detail we simply don't get here (unless it's a pickup or off-roader). Admittedly however, China is a terrible market if you like actual fun and performance with your style.
Do they make more money in China than the US? If not, why allocate more resources there while simultaneously starving product here? Or is that an inaccurate assessment? Just trying to understand the reasoning for some of the decision making going on...

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
They sell more cars in China than the US and growing rapidly. The market is different however so the products have to be tailored. Navigator and Aviator are higher volume in the US, while smaller utilities and sedans are bigger in China. The Chinese customer is different with relatively superficial expectations. For example the Zephyr is really nothing special under the skin, just a 2.0L EcoBoost FWD C2 car (Mondeo skin-job). No 2.7L V6, Hybrid, AWD, or all the other things needed in the US market. Lincoln would be criticized heavily in the US for showing up like a Ford in a tux. It also has an infotainment system that would never work in the US. The Chinese market is much younger and tech-forward so flashy tech, features, and design are the biggest priority. That's not the case for the US where the market is way more critical of tech in cars and expects big power specs. So in reality, Lincoln's method of a Ford in a tux works better in China than the US where Lincoln needs to spend more money on deeper differentiation (like the Aviator).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Lincoln would be criticized heavily in the US for showing up like a Ford in a tux. It also has an infotainment system that would never work in the US. The Chinese market is much younger and tech-forward so flashy tech, features, and design are the biggest priority.
The infotanment system with the wide screen it shares with Ford?

All-new Chinese Ford Mondeo

Models exported to the Middle East under the "Taurus" name use the base Mondeo's shorter infotainment screen... a layout you might see in the next Mustang.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The full-width dash screen and Chinese UX is a hard no-go in North America for Ford. But indeed we are getting the shorter full-width dash treatment which can be adapted for Sync and doesn't include a large screen for the passenger. The next Explorer and Mustang refresh are the first to get it here I believe, around 2024. It's quite possible Lincoln can make use of the full-width dash with a new UX. I mean Jeep is doing something similar here, but with distraction limiting tech that isn't on the Chinese Ford designs (no such concern there I guess).

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I’m curious to what the interior will look like.
If it's for the Chinese market, the Zephyr should give us a hint. (Basically, the Lincoln-themed version of the new Ford interior in China).

For Fords like the new Chinese Mondeo, the export market version uses the shorter screen (like the base Chinese Mondeo) that doesn't extend to the passenger side. It might be the same for Lincoln.

·
Registered
219 Posts
China is getting a new Edge alongside a Nautilus, so I think that's what the non-lincoln prototype is.
What are the chances it will have similar lines to the new Equator and Equator Sport?

PS: Was surprised the upcoming 2023 Transit Custom EV has a grille similar to the new Chinese Fords.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts