GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In an article that claims to have spied the elusive (and non-existent btw) Fusion Active, I noticed that one of the vehicles actually appears to be a Lincoln crossover about the size of Nautilus. It has the characteristic Nautilus spiral pattern wheels, Lincoln roofline, the new boomerang wrap-around taillights like we see in the Zephyr, Lincoln front fender detail, and the hidden rear wiper as seen in the Aviator. Not to mention the Lincoln pattern to the grille and the Chinese-spec license plate bracket right in the center of it. The other spied vehicle could be the new Ford Edge, which is going to be a Chinese-market exclusive. The new Nautilus is poised to arrive in 2024 as a Chinese import while the Canadian built Lincolns go EV in 2025. All of these are also based on C2, just an incredibly flexible ICE/Hybrid platform.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This is funny to me because I just bought a 2022 Lincoln Nautilus Black Label this week. So naturally, the new one emerges. Although I will admit that I'm probably going to snag one of the EV Lincolns in 2025 anyway. But this will be sharp if the Zephyr is any indication. Hopefully we still get it, it's possible they'll just drop plans to import it as they increase volume for their EV portfolio. No EV Nautilus in the cards yet.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,711 Posts
This is funny to me because I just bought a 2022 Lincoln Nautilus Black Label this week.
Congratulations!
I've driven one Black Label Lincoln, an MKZ with the 400 hp engine.
I thought it was a fine car.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congratulations!
I've driven one Black Label Lincoln, an MKZ with the 400 hp engine.
I thought it was a fine car.
Thanks! This is my 7th MKX/Nautilus in a row, I'm very pleased with them. The car is so much fun to drive, and relaxing at the same time. Great combo. The interior update is pretty incredible.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which model do you usually buy? Reserve, or... ?
My last two have been Black Label, before that they were all Maxed-out Reserves. Incidentally this is the first Lincoln I've bought that isn't black and you can thank the supply shortages for that. It's a long story, but I was going to order Black or Chroma Caviar, but ran into the commodities issues that severely restricted what I could order this year (No Adaptive Suspension, 2.7L, 21" Wheels, 22-Way Seats, or Black Label model). So I snatched up what I could get on the lot and it happened to be a fully-loaded Pristine White with the Chalet interior. No regrets, I've always admired the way it looked in White so I don't mind being forced into one ;).

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Rear wiper being moved under the spoiler is a good move

Reactions: BORG

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Reactions: BORG

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ford has been very slow to adopt the under-spoiler rear wiper, only the Aviator does it that way, and now the next-gen Nautilus. Only draw back I notice is that it does a worse job clearing the rear view of the road, but then again you don't have the wiper partially obstructing the view.

Thanks for the congrats. Since I mentioned it, here are a couple photos. First Lincoln with Wireless CarPlay and Sync 4, but the only one without a HUD. PAAK (Phone as a Key) isn't perfect, but I'm loving it! No more key fob, just my phone in my pocket.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Gear shift Car Vehicle Radio Satellite radio

·
Premium Member
11,661 Posts
In an article that claims to have spied the elusive (and non-existent btw) Fusion Active, I noticed that one of the vehicles actually appears to be a Lincoln crossover about the size of Nautilus. It has the characteristic Nautilus spiral pattern wheels, Lincoln roofline, the new boomerang wrap-around taillights like we see in the Zephyr, Lincoln front fender detail, and the hidden rear wiper as seen in the Aviator. Not to mention the Lincoln pattern to the grille and the Chinese-spec license plate bracket right in the center of it. The other spied vehicle could be the new Ford Edge, which is going to be a Chinese-market exclusive. The new Nautilus is poised to arrive in 2024 as a Chinese import while the Canadian built Lincolns go EV in 2025. All of these are also based on C2, just an incredibly flexible ICE/Hybrid platform.
Following your belief that this is the ‘24 Nautilus, (assuming that Fusion Active does not exist) it could indeed be something that Ford would consider if there’s no BEV Nautilus.
If however, Ford/Lincoln chose to combine mid-sized 2-row and 3-row Utilities on GE2 then there would be no need for Edge/Nautilis as a separate vehicle type.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I can really only account for 3 Lincoln EVs in the product timeline for the US, but Lincoln says 4 EVs by 2026. I can only suspect one of them is a Chinese-market EV. Two of them arrive December 2024 (Aviator-Like EV) and February 2025 (Corsair-Like EV), followed by a Navigator EV about a year or so later. There is no sign of a Nautilus EV, but we are scheduled to get this ICE Nautilus imported from China in 2024. It's likely this Nautilus will be somewhat toned down, I don't expect a 2.7L version for example since they are not sold in China. I'm still skeptical this will actually happen, but that's the plan as it stands today. Nautilus is a hard one to abandon considering it's often their bestseller and the heart of the luxury market in the US. But with three EVs alongside ICE models, I think they can probably get away with it.

There is some internal debate on if they'll actually use the Explorer brand on the Explorer EV, apparently there is debate on the relevance to the product. As for Lincoln, the Rivian-based Lincoln was originally going to carry the Continental name, it was going to be their flagship EV crossover alongside the one that is actually coming December 2024. I don't think Continental would be appropriate, but I imagine it's being considered for this Aviator-like EV (based on the Explorer EV).

·
Premium Member
11,661 Posts
I was wondering if BEV Explorer/Aviator could be done as both SWB/LWB to get 2-row and 3-row vehicles under one project…..or say, one wheelbase with two different back ends like US/China Edges, kinda sorta..,,

·
Registered
219 Posts
In an article that claims to have spied the elusive (and non-existent btw) Fusion Active, I noticed that one of the vehicles actually appears to be a Lincoln crossover about the size of Nautilus.
It's got to be the Lincoln platform partner of the unnamed new Ford SUV which will definitely not be called a Fusion Active (The Chinese Evos would be the closest to what a Fusion Active should be). I'm guessing the Ford version will probably not be called Edge or will it?

Different styling, same proportions, probably the same architecture.

Upcoming Ford SUV

Upcoming Lincoln SUV

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I was wondering if BEV Explorer/Aviator could be done as both SWB/LWB to get 2-row and 3-row vehicles under one project…..or say, one wheelbase with two different back ends like US/China Edges, kinda sorta..,,
I don't have any evidence that Ford will be doing that with the EV Explorer, but that would seem like an obvious approach. I don't quite understand why Ford is vacating the two-row midsize utility at the same time Jeep has expanded Grand Cherokee to both segments (albeit in ICE form). But I imagine it's just a matter of resource allocation and targeting growth. Edge has long been plateaued while Explorer keeps growing.

China is getting a new Edge alongside a Nautilus, so I think that's what the non-lincoln prototype is. In China, the Edge is a 3-Row vehicle however, hard to see that 3-row profile in any of these prototypes.

As for importing from China, I'm growing more comfortable with it, especially since I'm envious of the Chinese exclusive products coming from Ford and Lincoln like Mondeo, EVOS, and Zephyr. They even redesigned Explorer twice, fixing the design and quality issues of the US version which won't see any work done until 2024. Chinese customers are incredibly demanding so you see the attention to design detail we simply don't get here (unless it's a pickup or off-roader). Admittedly however, China is a terrible market if you like actual fun and performance with your style.

·
Premium Member
11,661 Posts
I don't have any evidence that Ford will be doing that with the EV Explorer, but that would seem like an obvious approach. I don't quite understand why Ford is vacating the two-row midsize utility at the same time Jeep has expanded Grand Cherokee to both segments (albeit in ICE form). But I imagine it's just a matter of resource allocation and targeting growth. Edge has long been plateaued while Explorer keeps growing.
Thats to be expected when Edge sells for similar prices as Explorer and also now, there’s a 2-row Explorer option. Cancelling next Gen Edge/Nautilus in North America didn’t help either..
China is getting a new Edge alongside a Nautilus, so I think that's what the non-lincoln prototype is. In China, the Edge is a 3-Row vehicle however, hard to see that 3-row profile in any of these prototypes.
It is possible to have the the squarer SUV back as a 2-row and have an optional third row like Explorer does…

As for importing from China, I'm growing more comfortable with it, especially since I'm envious of the Chinese exclusive products coming from Ford and Lincoln like Mondeo, EVOS, and Zephyr. They even redesigned Explorer twice, fixing the design and quality issues of the US version which won't see any work done until 2024. Chinese customers are incredibly demanding so you see the attention to design detail we simply don't get here (unless it's a pickup or off-roader). Admittedly however, China is a terrible market if you like actual fun and performance with your style.
When you think back, Ford had plans of importing Focus and Fusion from China, I’d see this as a modified version of that plan. However, I hold out hope that C2 Edge/Nautilus could be added to Louisville.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts