·
Registered
19,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Lexus LFAs still unsold two years after production ended
By Justin Hyde
5 hours ago
Motoramic

Even today, four years after Toyota's Lexus division set out into the supercar world with the 552-hp, V-10-engined Lexus LFA, the car seems like a mirage. After a decade of planning and research, only 500 were built — meticulously, mostly by hand — with prices of $375,000 each. Able to be customized in 30 million ways, a special edition of the LFA lapped the Nürburgring in near-record time in 2011, and Lexus shut down production in 2012.

Two years later, Lexus still has unsold LFAs waiting as patiently as pastors in its U.S. showrooms. Last month it sold two; in 2014, it moved 17. Most new cars spend an average of just over two months on a dealer's lot; at this rate, the 2012 model year LFA might finally sell out in the United States right around Halloween. Why does such a fast car move so slowly out of Lexus showrooms?

Blame the unicorn nature of the LFA, starting with its price. At that level, the LFA is more expensive than every new Ferrari before options, and just slightly less expensive than a Lamborghini Aventador. Those cars have devoted followers and fans who ogle them on the street; despite its rarity and performance, the LFA has never garnered such a cult. And since it was a single model, with no predecessor, successor or even real link to the rest of the Lexus lineup, there was no momentum to remind new buyers of its existence.

More at link: https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motor...o-years-after-production-ended-192812270.html

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow - very surprising that with such a small volume built that there are still unsold ones. But as the article states, who goes to Lexus for such a car? Is this a lesson for Cadillac? Though Cadillac is trying to become a performance oriented company, most people still think large, comfortable car when they hear "Cadillac". Maybe Cadillac will be better off with the RR competitor we hear about vs. something based off of a mid-engine Corvette C8 chassis. Playing to their strength.....

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
For me, the car just has bad mojo. Their top test driver was killed in one when he was driving on the wrong side of the road in Germany. The car he hit was a BMW m3, all passengers survived in the BMW, even though they were critically injured. It says a lot more about the engineering of the BMW than it does the Lexus.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Aren't these only for lease? And, if someone is going to spend the cash on a supercar, why would they want a Lexus?

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
Make a deal with Caddy-lack. Put a wreath and crest and ELR tags on them, and mark them down to $49,995. They will be gone in a week!

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Make a deal with Caddy-lack. Put a wreath and crest and ELR tags on them, and mark them down to $49,995. They will be gone in a week!
I was just thinking, "I'll snap one up once the price drops below $50,000."!

I thought this was supposed to be a statement car for Lexus. Well, making 500 of them and still having some leftover 4 years later is sure making a statement!

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
I was just thinking, "I'll snap one up once the price drops below $50,000."!

I thought this was supposed to be a statement car for Lexus. Well, making 500 of them and still having some leftover 4 years later is sure making a statement!
LOL. "We ****** up."

OTOH, when someone discovers one of these covered with dust and hay in a Vermont baahn around 2065, it will sell at Barrett-Jackson for about $880,000,000 (non-inflation-adjusted dollars). Nice nest egg for someone!

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
Sometimes the "comments" are the best and most informative part of the article.

According to numerous comments, the car was originally lease-only. Not smart when people with this kind of coin want to OWN the thing.

Looks like someone may have outsmarted themselves, and are now stuck holding the bag. ELR lessons learned? Hardy har har.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
Some people are just not automobile enthusiasts. I'm baffled by some of the comments here. But, to each his/her own. And, as mentioned, some people are simply not automobile enthusiasts... To those of us who are... WTF?

Every person in this thread would be having a braingasm if they had the means to lease or own an LF-A. You could swear on your life I'm wrong but I would never, ever believe you.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Lexus should had produce only half of that for that price or reduce the price at $200K. No way I would get this ugly car over the Italia or Huracan at $375K.

Even the driving dynamics are not up to snuff.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
Lexus should had produce only half of that for that price or reduce the price at $200K. No way I would get this ugly car over the Italia or Huracan at $375K.

Even the driving dynamics are not up to snuff.
It's about exclusivity. It would have been QUITE ridiculous for Lexus to have out-shined LAMBORGHINI or FERRARI when they've been building exotics for decades. No reasonable person expected this. The issue was price.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Really?! What's so great about a Rolex?
That it's not a ****ing Omega. Your argument holds no water because Lexus doesn't have the equal prestige of a Rolex, it's like the Tag level of watches. This has nothing to do with exclusivity, it doesn't make sense. Why not make a $350k Buick GNX? Please tell me that's the same as a Rolex. Please.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts