GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New LaCrosse Delayed...A Litte
'Crisis Mode' delays the new Tri-Shield car....
www.gminsidenews.com
October 13, 2008
By: Nsap
[email protected]

Here we are just over a month to the planned reveal of the all-new 2010 Buick LaCrosse and we’re already hearing that production of the car has been delayed. Initially production was going to start in early 2009; as in January or February. Well, with “crisis mode” fully intact at General Motors right now due to obvious reasons, that production time frame has been altered to reflect the times.

Currently we at GMI are hearing that the LaCrosse has been pushed back by approximately three months. Production will take place at GM’s Fairfax, Kansas plant that currently builds the Chevrolet Malibu and Saturn Aura. On a related note, the next-generation Saturn Aura was supposed to go into production late next year at the Fairfax plant as well. Back in June GMI broke news that the next Aura had been “put on hold” for largely unknown reasons. That caused a big enough riot to cause Saturn General Manager Jill Lajdziak to issue a statement confirming that the next Aura had been delayed. At this point it is largely unknown by us as to what is going to happen to the next Aura. We have heard that it could be produced at the Oshawa plant, and then we hear it is back on at Fairfax. Actually, no one even seems to know if the Aura will ride on the Insignia’s smaller Epsilon II platform or the larger Epsilon II that the LaCrosse, next Malibu and next G6 will ride on. The Aura is apparently anyone’s guess.

LaCrosse Details

There is not an entirely large amount known about the new LaCrosse. We know it is on the longer wheel base Epsilon II platform. We also know that one of the engines will be the 3.6L Direct-Injected High-Feature V6, mated to a six-speed transmission no doubt. One can also expect a modified version of the same "infotainment" system that is in the new Cadillac CTS; designed by Alpine. A keyless ignition is also going to be on the new Buick. Other than that, not much is known on the car.

Expect the new LaCrosse to now show up in late Spring of 2009.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Well, this is no surprise. With GMs cash troubles and track record of putting off products, I can see it being delayed to the point it becomes a 2011 Lacrosse.

On the Aura, it may be possible that GM is looking at options in eliminating Saturn. It's going to happen, just a matter of when.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
oNOz!!!!!! IT'S THE END OF DAYS!!!!!!!!!

GM is in such serious trouble that I honestly don't see them surviving. It's very scary to think that, but it's just a company, and companies can fail regardless of how many people enjoy the products it made 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60 years ago.

A delayed Buick--when there are only two Buick cars--is a large red flag that GM is in its deaththrows.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If the new LaCrosse is delayed, it should be a small delay. I am the inventory manager for a BPG store and I was just informed that my next order consensus will be the last one for the 09 LaCrosse. This means I will be done placing orders for the 09 model probably by the end of November. When I see any info on the new model, I will pass it along.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Yea I really don't see the point of delaying the 2010 LaCrosse especially when they are showing it next month for the first time. I think GM will be able to sell more of the new LaCrosses than the old ones even with the economy the way it is.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts

GM is in such serious trouble that I honestly don't see them surviving. It's very scary to think that, but it's just a company, and companies can fail regardless of how many people enjoy the products it made 20, 30, 40, 50, or 60 years ago.

A delayed Buick--when there are only two Buick cars--is a large red flag that GM is in its deaththrows.
Drama queen.

This could be related to anything - an issue with the tooling, a supplier hangup, or extra effort to get the quality where they want it before launch.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Wow! Is there any hope for GM.? This car, so far into its development should not have to be delayed at all. Continued negative news like this only perpetuates the bankruptcy potential.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Drama queen.

This could be related to anything - an issue with the tooling, a supplier hangup, or extra effort to get the quality where they want it before launch.
Stop it. Your injecting rational thinking into this thread.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I CALL SHANANIGANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn it GM! You are making it more and more easier for me to leave you behind and look else where when our G6 lease runs up at the end of March.

·
Registered
906 Posts
This just show GM's growing incompetence. As desperate as Buick is for product, the Malibu should be the first Epsilon II car out. Lead with the volume model and it can pay for the others.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
The next Lacrosse will probably be delayed to move out the old models. The market for the old models is in Florida and Arizona and knowing that demographic, it will take the winter quarter to move those off the lot at a decent price.

As for Saturn, it is good news to hear they will get an Epsilon II; as for its demise, I doubt it, they have low sales, very high resale value, little if any rental car sales, and many suburbanites don't mind sitting in one of those when they would never sit in a Chevy or Dodge.

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts

Nice!
That's "Plane"-quality sarcasm, and I do appreciate it!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yea I really don't see the point of delaying the 2010 LaCrosse especially when they are showing it next month for the first time. I think GM will be able to sell more of the new LaCrosses than the old ones even with the economy the way it is.
It was allways set for spring 2009

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Hope this is true GM only needs Chevrolet- Buick- Cadilac the rest can go.
:yup:
Actually, all they really need is Cadillac and Chevrolet. No need for Chevrontiacs, Saabillacs, GMC (which are rebadged Chevys), Saturn, Hummer or Buick. Just 2: Chevy is entry level to high $20K's, Cadillac is mid $20K to high end. There is no need for anything else. It's going to happen, and before the 2020 deadline I proposed last year...I am now predicting GM will consist of 2, possibly (though doubtful) 3, divisions by 2015.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Make sure you tell your friend considering buying a foreign car that they are helping kill America's biggest company
Sad to say, but I don't think many people care about that anymore. I do, but a great many do not.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Make sure you tell your friend considering buying a foreign car that they are helping kill America's biggest company
For almost two decades, many of the best cars on the market were foreign.

So you were asking people to hurt themselves to support GM.

That's bad for the individual. It's also ultimately bad for GM, because it sends the totally incorrect message that it's okay to make mediocre products.

Now GM has some spectacular offerings, arguably its most competitive lineup in my thirty year lifetime. But winning people back is no easy task.

[EDIT] Even now, I'd say the CTS and Malibu are spectacularly competitive - for someone that wants a midsize sedan or midsize luxury sedan. If you want a superbly competitive sedan larger than that, you have to shop foreign. :(

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Things are bad for GM (and others, I know), but if products aren't selling, part of the reason is that the buying public is no longer interested in that product. Leaving the old LaCrosse on the showroom floor longer means missed opportunities for new car sales. If it's as good as GM says it is, and they market it properly, then it is likely to be a success. GM needs to continue on the trend of getting rid of tired, old models and replacing them with new, competitive vehicles that will entice buyers back into GM s dealerships. Delaying the introduction of new products is just GM doing business as usual. Pity.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts