GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Jeep Grand Cherokee coming in 2011, Durango and/or Aspen too (Autoblog)

Posted Mar 10th 2008 9:58AM by Sam Abuelsamid
Filed under: SUVs, Plants/Manufacturing, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is already past due for a full redesign and if Chrysler can hang in their long enough, a new one should debut in time for the 2011 model year. The privately-owned automaker has announced its intention to put $281 million in new tooling into the Jefferson North assembly plant in Detroit that produces the Grand Cherokee and Commander. The perenially slow-selling Commander is expected to get the chop as the latest new Chrysler pares down its redundant model lineup. However, that doesn't mean that the Grand Cherokee, the sales of which once supported three production shifts at Jefferson, will be alone. One of the plants that Chrysler previously announced would be shuttered is the Newark Delaware facility that builds the Durango and Aspen. One or both (more likely one) of those models will likely end up using the same platform as the Grand Cherokee and be coming off the Detroit line. When production does start up, a Mercedes Benz diesel (as used today in the Jeep) and a two-mode hybrid (coming to the Durango/Aspen this fall) will likely both be available. The Jeep at least will probably be developed from the start in both right and left hand drive versions for export to other markets, as well.

God, thats so far off, by then Chevy will be 3 years into production on the Trailblazer replacement Traverse, and Ford might even have A unibody Explorer based off the Explorer America Concept with EcoBoost DI V6s, all of their competition will be equipped with DI V6s. (Maybe not Pathfinder and 4Runner though haha)

Wasnt the Grand Cherokee always supposed to compete with Explorer/ Blazer and then when the Durango was introduced wasnt that a Tahoe- Expedition fighter? The Durango is larger correct me of im wrong, I wonder if it will go down a class size and just leave the awful Nitro and Durango as midsized BOF suvs

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Interesting I did see a Cherokee with a camoed front end a few days ago (probably a old mule) but I could not get a good shot of it to confirm that theory. However It is time for a full Cherokee redesign its been way too long since the last redesign

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
Wow how wrong some of that is.

Chrysler just filed paperwork for an expansion of the JNAP facility in Detroit. They said that the next generation Grand Cherokee and two other models would be built there.

The platforms are: WK (Cherokee isn't moving up a letter as of yet), WD (Durango), and WC (Aspen).

The Two Mode in the HB/HG (current Durango/Aspen) DOES NOT FIT in the WK/WC/WD platform, the Two Mode in 2011 will ONLY be offered in the Dodge Ram.

Grand Cherokee and Durango are similar in size currently except one is BOF and one is Unibody. The Nitro/Liberty (KA/KK) are significantly smaller.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The GC is supposed to move to a more unibody style instead of a truck base, and it is supposed to get a 7 passanger version to replace the Commander, not to mention diesels will sill play a big role.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
True the CRD's will play a big role for the GC but IMO The GC is way overdue for a redesign and I hope Chrysler will actually make an interior that doesn't look cheap, boring, and dull Like the interiors found in at least half of their current product lineup. The LX cars are an exception as they actually have decent interiors

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
The GC is supposed to move to a more unibody style instead of a truck base, and it is supposed to get a 7 passanger version to replace the Commander, not to mention diesels will sill play a big role.
Grand Cherokee IS unibody today. The Commander will be dropped and replaced by a longer version of the GC.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True the CRD's will play a big role for the GC but IMO The GC is way overdue for a redesign and I hope Chrysler will actually make an interior that doesn't look cheap, boring, and dull Like the interiors found in at least half of their current product lineup. The LX cars are an exception as they actually have decent interiors
The GC interior is waaay better than the Durango, i think the GC is actually acceptable compared to the dodge

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I hope to god the redesign helps the Durango here......the GC's looks however have kinda grown on me, I don't think any successive iteration can do too bad styling-wise.....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Grand Cherokee IS unibody today. The Commander will be dropped and replaced by a longer version of the GC.
More unibody then it is, as in, closer to a crossover then to a truck based, but without losing its off-roading credentials

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for clearing that up, i wonder if they build a Durango AND Aspen if the Aspen would be a true Escalade Navigator contender?

...And the Durango would grow larger?

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up, i wonder if they build a Durango AND Aspen if the Aspen would be a true Escalade Navigator contender?

...And the Durango would grow larger?
I'll know as soon as the bucks start poping up later this year. I work on a component on the W-platform and so I'll be working with this update.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
The GC is a unibody already. It's been a unibody since it was introduced....end of story.

I'd like to see the Equinox and Traverse sport off road credentials like that since GM is going to end the Trailblazer.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
The Jeep Grand Cherokee is already past due for a full redesign and if Chrysler can hang in their long enough, a new one should debut in time for the 2011 model year.
I would not call it past due. It was new for 2005. Therefore, it is in its 4th model year. A 6-year production cycle is normal for midsize SUVs, making 2011 the expected year of a redesign.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The GC is a unibody already. It's been a unibody since it was introduced....end of story.

I'd like to see the Equinox and Traverse sport off road credentials like that since GM is going to end the Trailblazer.
Read my comment from above, they want the GC and Durango to be much more car like, similar to the crossovers, or like the Patriot.

·
Registered
885 Posts
New Jeep Grand Cherokee coming in 2011, Durango and/or Aspen too (Autoblog)

Posted Mar 10th 2008 9:58AM by Sam Abuelsamid
Filed under: SUVs, Plants/Manufacturing, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is already past due for a full redesign and if Chrysler can hang in their long enough, a new one should debut in time for the 2011 model year. The privately-owned automaker has announced its intention to put $281 million in new tooling into the Jefferson North assembly plant in Detroit that produces the Grand Cherokee and Commander. The perenially slow-selling Commander is expected to get the chop as the latest new Chrysler pares down its redundant model lineup. However, that doesn't mean that the Grand Cherokee, the sales of which once supported three production shifts at Jefferson, will be alone. One of the plants that Chrysler previously announced would be shuttered is the Newark Delaware facility that builds the Durango and Aspen. One or both (more likely one) of those models will likely end up using the same platform as the Grand Cherokee and be coming off the Detroit line. When production does start up, a Mercedes Benz diesel (as used today in the Jeep) and a two-mode hybrid (coming to the Durango/Aspen this fall) will likely both be available. The Jeep at least will probably be developed from the start in both right and left hand drive versions for export to other markets, as well.

God, thats so far off, by then Chevy will be 3 years into production on the Trailblazer replacement Traverse, and Ford might even have A unibody Explorer based off the Explorer America Concept with EcoBoost DI V6s, all of their competition will be equipped with DI V6s. (Maybe not Pathfinder and 4Runner though haha)

Wasnt the Grand Cherokee always supposed to compete with Explorer/ Blazer and then when the Durango was introduced wasnt that a Tahoe- Expedition fighter? The Durango is larger correct me of im wrong, I wonder if it will go down a class size and just leave the awful Nitro and Durango as midsized BOF suvs
Nitro is not BOF either...it's unibody as is the new Liberty...and the old Liberty...and the old Cherokee...as is the Grand Cherokee...not sure the last time the Cherokee was BOF, if it ever was...if it were, I don't think it would have been since the early 80's...

I actually like the current Grand Cherokee...aside from a little better mpg's...i think it has alot going for it...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Nitro is not BOF either...it's unibody as is the new Liberty...and the old Liberty...and the old Cherokee...and all the Grand Cherokee's...

I actually like the current Grand Cherokee...aside from a little better mpg's...i think it has alot going for it...
Needs a more affordable diesel option, that would make me happy

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
The 1999-2005 versions were my favorite by far. They looked good, had good engines, fairly reliable, and they were off road capable. These new ones just look strange to me....and I am not all about the Liberty either.

Read my comment from above, they want the GC and Durango to be much more car like, similar to the crossovers, or like the Patriot.
Gosh I hope not.

I think that the Grand Cherokee is fine as it is (I prefer the previous generation)....exp considering that soon it will have no competition from GM or Ford. Moving to a more "carlike" isn't going to change the fact that Chrysler builts thirsty engines....and a 5.7L Hemi to move this GC around for 13mpg is a joke considering the Trailblazer is larger in almost every dimension and gets better mileage and tows more (Those T360s are fundamentally not bad afterall! Some times, it's just the quality of materials used in the truck that makes it popular!)

The diesel does need to be more affordable, though.....and the 3.7L engine either needs about 70 more horsepower or way better mileage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.