GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
http://www.carpoint.com.au/

Words - Mike Sinclair

Blue Oval fans can exhale... The new FG range is on the road, and it's good... Very good

Its styling is arguably too derivative and the inline six is already destined for the big engine plant in the sky, but there's life in the Falcon yet. Fresh from around 450km in a range of Ford's new FG sedan six-cylinder models, we can vouch for the effectiveness of Australia's newest large car.

In fact, while we've driven the car in isolation -- but on roads we know well -- we'd go so far to say Ford now builds the best large car Down Under.

Over the next week we'll bring you more details on the new Falcon family, including the single V8 sedan offered -- the XR8. They'll be drive impressions on the base model XT, the Fairmont-replacing user-chooser-focused G-Series range (G6, G6E and G6E Turbo) and the XR sporties, including full specs and confirmation of pricing and options.

In the meantime we felt it important to get our impressions to you as soon as possible.

And they're good... Ford says it sought leadership for the FG range in key areas such as ride and handling, NVH (noise vibration and harshness) and real world performance including fuel economy and safety. While we might argue about the effectiveness of the company's crash rating and safety communications at Tuesday's debut of the first production FGs (see more here), we've got few qualms in giving the range a thumbs up in terms of its refinement and dynamic ability.

In short, the car is improved from the BF (and its variants) in a number of key areas. In our opinion it now shades Holden's VE Commodore in terms of an overall package at base model level and above.

continued here - http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2916313.aspx

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Re: "Ford now builds the best large car Down Under"

All I'll say is that being the latecomer to the party, perhaps Ford should've set its sights on Toyota there instead of Holden?? Sure, Ford & Holden can duke it out there with cars, just like Ford & Chevy do here with trucks.....but Toyota's the king of the hill no matter what.......they need to try and ween themselves away from that rivalry and focus on the big fish....

·
Registered
5,986 Posts

^^ remember Australia not only has the new Falcon
but also gets the Mondeo & the C1-Focus

if only they had Mercurys...
guess I could bring my own badges & get someone there to make a waterfall grille... google....emigration...

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts

All I'll say is that being the latecomer to the party, perhaps Ford should've set its sights on Toyota there instead of Holden?? Sure, Ford & Holden can duke it out there with cars, just like Ford & Chevy do here with trucks.....but Toyota's the king of the hill no matter what.......they need to try and ween themselves away from that rivalry and focus on the big fish....
I'm sure Ford is happy stealing ANYONES sales, and Holden might very well be an easier target than Toyota. At the same time, Holden has the best selling car in Australia, and the Falcon is as a 100% direct competitor to the Commodore, which means that thay actually ARE aiming pretty high with this rivalry.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Is the Falcon itself or a new model on its platform coming to the US? Will that be the new Taurus or the new Crown Victoria?

I think the important thing here is that Ford and GM both seem to be gradually regaining their position as makers of cars that are flat out fun to drive. That's hugely important in the image war, because for most of the last decade the German automakers were the gold standard.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I would still get the Holden over this Ford. I just think they look more solid. But this is ten times better than the Fusion we have here. Hope Ford learns from Pontiac and Saturn and bring over their better products to the US.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I would still get the Holden over this Ford. I just think they look more solid. But this is ten times better than the Fusion we have here. Hope Ford learns from Pontiac and Saturn and bring over their better products to the US.
Well they are dont worry, the fiesta thats coming in late 2009 will be european built but the 2011 focus will be built in wayne MI i imagine

·
Registered
11,887 Posts

Ironically, Ford and GM may well have been much better off than they will be if they had have said to their small Aussie outposts, "you know what, things are so tough for both of us why don't you two hook up on a few projects."

Just think if Holden and Ford Australia had have thrown in with VE and Ford put their own front and rear on it, it probably would have looked uummmm, exactly like the FG. And they could have then taken the budget Ford didn't need to spend on FG and add to it Holden’s Torana budget and we could have also had a new Torana and Cortina. And then GMNA and Ford US could have both had a compact and large RWD package at half their normal cost and could have both positioned vehicles to take the challenge to Toyota.

Just a thought.

Nothing wrong with "my enemy's enemy is my friend". It's worked well in the past and will for a long time into the future.

;)

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
This is actually good news! Since Ford made this thing better then the Commodore, the next Commodore should be crazy awesome!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm not too sure about this, it sounds a little too good to be true. I doubt the Boss 290 in the XR8 can outdo the L98 270 in the SSV. And I doubt replacing the front suspension from the Territory has given the FG a quantum leap above the Aurion and VE. It sounds a little odd if you ask me. I'm still not crash hot over the interior, it is an improvement but it has just a little bit of an American touch to it....hmmmm. And I don't think you can say that the FG is the best car that's Australian made by just driving it very briefly on isolated roads. I think carpoint has gotten a little bit ahead of themselves. I'll wait until they perform a proper test on proper Australian roads in traffic and so on and directly against the Commodore and Aurion. Until then, I think that carpoint review should be taken with a pinch of salt.

But if it turns out to be true, this can only be good for Holden as it will now make them work alot harder to make the VEII or VF alot better. My major interest in the FG is the improvement of the turbo 6. The V8 will still be a poor, fat iron lump and the L98 and LS3 will **** all over it, but the improvements to the turbo 6 are something to be worried about over at Holden HQ. But I have faith in the General's baby.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I'm not too sure about this, it sounds a little too good to be true. I doubt the Boss 290 in the XR8 can outdo the L98 270 in the SSV. And I doubt replacing the front suspension from the Territory has given the FG a quantum leap above the Aurion and VE. It sounds a little odd if you ask me. I'm still not crash hot over the interior, it is an improvement but it has just a little bit of an American touch to it....hmmmm. And I don't think you can say that the FG is the best car that's Australian made by just driving it very briefly on isolated roads. I think carpoint has gotten a little bit ahead of themselves. I'll wait until they perform a proper test on proper Australian roads in traffic and so on and directly against the Commodore and Aurion. Until then, I think that carpoint review should be taken with a pinch of salt.

But if it turns out to be true, this can only be good for Holden as it will now make them work alot harder to make the VEII or VF alot better. My major interest in the FG is the improvement of the turbo 6. The V8 will still be a poor, fat iron lump and the L98 and LS3 will **** all over it, but the improvements to the turbo 6 are something to be worried about over at Holden HQ. But I have faith in the General's baby.
For a start BF11 beat aurion for general dynamics, while it came a very close second to VE, FG doesn't need much more to be class leader for dynamic abilities.

Carpoint is not the only review claiming FG is tipped for class leadership, the FG was driven on Australian roads, where else would it be driven!?

The XR6 turbo has shown 5.1 secs to 100KL/H with A/C ON. The XR8 is slow at 6.3 sec to 100KL/H and FPVs have not yet been tested.
Ford is the one to beat for 6cyl performance while Holden still has the performance edge only with the V8s.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I just can't get past that old school styling. The Commodore doesn't set the bar very high, but it's at least attractive, the Falcon looks so dated.
The styling comments amuse me. Old school styling?

The VE has simliar headlight and grille cutouts and design as the 2002 BA falcon.

The FG and VE have very similar glasshouse designs etc, i don't see the big difference.
You guys will never see an FG in the flesh as opposed to the G8, VE commodore.
I don't think anyone can judge styling accurately unless you see any vehicle in the flesh together.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
The FG and VE have very similar glasshouse designs etc, i don't see the big difference.
They do? I looked at the Falcon at the motor show - it doesn't have similar glasshouse design at all. If fact it almost looks like a old-time bonnet, visually the enlarged ears at the back to fix the AU headroom and rear-seat entry issues make it look like the top edge of the roof at teh back and side is further out than the base, like a 1930's car or a Ford Zodiac. The Commodore's got a CD of .31 The Falcon? Doubtful. It really makes the car look somewhat like something exploded inside. Sort of puffed out like a Coke can that's been frozen. It doesn't match up with the rear haunch at all. The bulbousness extends to the guard where it's been puffed out to cover the wider track.

It's all personal opinion, but the VE's roofline still looks graceful to me after 2- years - the Falcs looks like a tacked-on afterthought. The VE's rear quarter styling is not as good IMO (although it works much better on the WM) - but the Falcon looks just like a BF with the Mondeo's roof cut-and-shut on it, when you'd think they differentiate it a bit more.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts