·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Five Safety Stars For Falcon

Marton Pettendy
4 August 2008
www.goauto.com.au

New Ford Falcon becomes first Australian car to score maximum five-star crash rating.

Ford's new Falcon has become the first Australian-built car to be awarded a maximum five-star crash safety rating from the Australian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP).

The presentation of the highest crash safety accolade available globally sees the FG Falcon sedan match luxury cars like the Mercedes-Benz C-class in terms of occupant protection.

More importantly, it betters the four-star ANCAP rating earned by Toyota’s homegrown Camry and Aurion sedans, as well as the Falcon’s most direct rival in Holden’s VE Commodore sedan.

The Falcon’s five-star safety rating was revealed in News Limited papers on Monday and has been confirmed by GoAuto sources, but won’t be officially announced by ANCAP until Wednesday (August 6).

Click here to continue article

Falcon Safety Report Premature

CarPoint Editor
4 August 2008
www.goauto.com.au

The five-star Falcon ANCAP rating is "a nice piece of speculation", says Ford.

ANCAP (the Australasian New Car Assessment Program) and Ford anticipate making an official announcement concerning the FG Falcon's crash safety on Wednesday.

Earlier reports indicating that all the data was locked in and Ford's large car had scored enough points in an ANCAP crash test to secure a five-star rating have not officially come from Ford. So says Ford's Manager Public Affairs, Sinead McAlary.

"What's in the paper today... I am the type of person who doesn't like to buy presents for babies before they arrive," she said. "I don't like to pre-empt these things..."

As to how and from where the rumours arose, McAlary was at a loss to say.

"Don't have a clue," she succinctly responded when asked by the Carsales Network. "Who knows? It definitely didn't come from anybody I know of. The ANCAP organisation, in fairness, seems to be as distressed about the fact that the speculation is out there as we are. It's speculation at this point and it's obviously come from somebody talking to somebody they shouldn't about what they expect the result might be."

Click here to continue article

It's official

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/3EED63BC6ABAC7F5CA25749C002CEB8F

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=55788

·
Registered
434 Posts
Re: falcon first local 5 star car

Tis a good achievement. Congrats to Ford, the FG is a fantastic car.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Yea I really see Ford being on a roll in a few years because they are bringing lots of nice small cars from around the globe here soon. This Falcon should be one of them!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Yea I really see Ford being on a roll in a few years because they are bringing lots of nice small cars from around the globe here soon. This Falcon should be one of them!
How small do you think a Falcon is??????

but anyway, congrats to Ford.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
A bit Larger than that. The Fairlane based on the stretched Falcon chassis, was slightly smaller than a Crown Victoria in length.
Has someone the time to do a comparison of the interior dimensions of the Falcon and the Crown Victoria (just like was done for the Commodore and the Casillac CTS)

Mike

·
Registered
713 Posts
Great job if it is true. I thought holden were ripped off when they only got 4 because a rear passenger door came ajar, but standards are standards.
True it lost point, Valuable points from that.
But standards are standards as you said.
Come VF re test will happen.

Can't take much away form Ford here, Top achievement indeed.
I was beginning to wonder were they scared of something, Took there bloody time getting the crash ratings out there, Been seeing them for a good 4-5 weeks now, And seen them almost 2 months ago at Europcar.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Has someone the time to do a comparison of the interior dimensions of the Falcon and the Crown Victoria (just like was done for the Commodore and the Casillac CTS)

Mike
Code:
Internal dimensions	Crown Victoria	Ford Falcon (from Metric to Imperial
front headroom (inches)	39.5	1012mm/39.8
rear headroom (inches)	37.7	989mm/39.9
front hip room (inches)	57.6	1486mm/58.5
rear hip room (inches)	58.7	
front leg room (inches)	41.6	1073mm/42.2
rear leg room (inches)	38.4	989mm/38.9
front shoulder room (inches)	60.8	1523mm/59.9
rear shoulder room (inches)	60.3	1518mm/59.8
interior volume (cu ft)	109.8

Mike

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
EA165 dna to the fore! ;)
It would appear so!

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2967122.aspx

Take a look at the tables listed at the very bottom of the article, it appears the VE and aurion aren't too shabby either.

The most impressive aspect of the FGs crash test is it didn't use curtin airbags for the pole test, perhaps the boron steel has something to do with that?:p:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
It would appear so!

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2967122.aspx

Take a look at the tables listed at the very bottom of the article, it appears the VE and aurion aren't too shabby either.
F&H am I interpreting this right? :confused:
Carpoint said:
Not all of ANCAP's comments were complimentary, however. Though better than the previous generation Falcon, ANCAP rated the FG's pedestrian protection at just two (out of four) stars. That said, it scored 10.95 points out of a maximum 36 -- this compares well to just 8.98 (one star) and 7.76 (one star) for the Holden and Toyota large cars.
We've heard the experts on these pages repeatedly opine that Falcon's long and tall (forward extending, etc) straight-six engine is very 'pedestrian unfriendly' and thus crucifies existing I-6 Falcon as being 'low-tech unexportable'. Apparently a low-slung V6 as used by the 'International grade' designs from Holden & Toyota is worth its weight in gold. And yet from the above quote, does it seem that Falcon - even in its 'ancient' configuration - outperforms said V6 wundercars in this regard?
The most impressive aspect of the FGs crash test is it didn't use curtain airbags for the pole test, perhaps the boron steel has something to do with that?:p:
Seems to me it was all about thick vs smart and content vs comment. Falcon FG is yet again proving itself to be a very good product and is a credit to Ford Australia. Lets hope the market wakes up to its attributes and gives FG the success this quintessentially Australian car deserves

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
F&H am I interpreting this right? :confused:

We've heard the experts on these pages repeatedly opine that Falcon's long and tall (forward extending, etc) straight-six engine is very 'pedestrian unfriendly' and thus crucifies existing I-6 Falcon as being 'low-tech unexportable'. Apparently a low-slung V6 as used by the 'International grade' designs from Holden & Toyota is worth its weight in gold. And yet from the above quote, does it seem that Falcon - even in its 'ancient' configuration - outperforms said V6 wundercars in this regard?

Seems to me it was all about thick vs smart and content vs comment. Falcon FG is yet again proving itself to be a very good product and is a credit to Ford Australia. Lets hope the market wakes up to its attributes and gives FG the success this quintessentially Australian car deserves

The VE and aurion compare well with 'other' brands in the table shown, that's what i was refering too. FG is better than all listed.

Exactly, How a long, tall inline 6cyl engine crashes well is beyond me!?

As i have stated many times before, it's not always what 'equipment' you have to work with but rather how you execute what you already have;)

1 - 20 of 89 Posts