GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this was posted, I searched did not see!!

New Engines Power Grand Vitara for ’09
By Christie Schweinsberg
WardsAuto.com, Oct 7, 2008 10:06 AM
Related Stories
Suzuki Gives Grand Vitara New Engines; Expects Small Volume From Equator

SAN ANTONIO – After releasing a redesigned version of its Grand Vitara SUV three years ago, only to see sales stagnate, American Suzuki Motor Corp. stages an extensive refresh of the model for ’09.

new 3.2L V-6, a downsized version of the 3.6L designed by General Motors Corp. and in the Suzuki XL7 large CUV, and a 2.4L I-4, all-new from Suzuki engineers, both are quiet and smooth, two words not always associated with Suzuki powerplants.
The 230-hp 3.2L replaces the 185-hp 2.7L V-6 that previously powered the Grand Vitara, while a 4-cyl. is offered for the first time in the current generation.
The I-4 makes 166 hp and 162 lb.-ft. (220 Nm) of torque. American Suzuki’s Gene Brown, vice president-product development, calls it “approximately as peppy as the V-6 it replaces.”

http://wardsauto.com/testdrive/engines_power_vitara_081007/

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sounds very nice!
I will most definitely be taking one out for a test drive.
I hope they update the styling a little within the next two years.
It's a really solid entry level SUV and I hope they continue to develop it.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Sounds like "new" 3.2L is the old DOHC v6 the previous CTS used before upsizing to the 3.6L.

Does GM still even use that motor?

Suzuki must be manufacturing the engine.
The 3.2L engine you're referring to is the iron block 54° V6 engine designed by Opel. It was phased out in 2004.

The 3.2L unit in the '09 Grand Vitara (as indicated in the Wards article) is very similar to the Holden HF/Alloytec 3.2L currently used in the Opel Antara and Chevrolet Captiva.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know that GM has/had two DOHC 3.2L sixes.
same for me, but I know each GM division had once its own 350 V8 engine in the 1970s and also 2 3.3L V6 (unrelated), the 1st one was from the 1978-79 Malibu/Monte Carlo and derivated from the 4.4L (267) V8 and the 2nd was a destroked version of the 3800 used in the Century/Ciera in 1989-90

1 - 7 of 7 Posts