GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/07/new-dodge-charger-chrysler-300-confirmed-for-2010/

Ending speculation about what new products Chrysler will be rolling out in 2010 is none other than Chrysler CEO Bob Nardelli. Now confirmed are redesigned full-size sedans in the form of a new Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 as well as a new Jeep. While none of these vehicles is likely to be particularly fuel efficient, the man behind the scenes at Chrysler also stressed that new fuel-saving models are on their way by means of the automaker's recent partnership with Nissan. We believe that the new vehicle will be a version of the Dodge Hornet concept that we've seen everywhere these last few years.

The redesigned 300 from Chrysler and the Charger from Dodge will be extremely important launches. We expect the square-jawed styling to be radically different since Ralph Gilles, who has promised more "organic" styling, is now head of design. Lastly, we're still a bit skeptical that Chrysler will be able to launch an electric car by 2010, we'd love to be proven wrong. A hybrid drivetrain for the Charger and 300, though, seems like a real possibility.
With this and a new Taurus coming out, GM had better do something with the Impala...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I was just about to post this article. Original here:

http://www.freep.com/article/20081003/BUSINESS01/810030314/1014/rss13

Gee, isn't that amazing. A RWD car that isn't a Cadillac! I hope GM is paying attention instead of their knee-jerk reaction to replace Pontiac's RWD performance with a full line of FWD Aveos and other commuter-based cars. Heck, even Cadillac seems to be forgetting the allure of a V8 underhood these days (with the exception of over-the-top V models). There still need to be plenty of fuel efficient options, and that should make up the bulk of sales, but GM doesn't need eight brands selling cars that range from a FWD, 4 cylinder, sub-compact to a FWD, 4 cylinder, compact. There's still a place for fun, RWD, manual trans, affordable cars out there.

The 300, Charger, Magnum, and now Challenger (vs. Camaro) all managed to beat GM to market and capture a ton of sales GM completely missed the boat on. Not only that, but think about Chrysler and especially Dodge's image before they arrived. Dodge was way below the perceived image of Pontiac, having sold chic Neons, Grand Caravans, soccer mom Durangos, and awkward Intrepids for years with quality far sub-par compared to GM. The RWD trio revitalized the Chrysler/Dodge image overnight. This is what GM needs to avoid turning into an American Toyota, selling only "sensible vehicles."

GM: Enough with the trucks. Bring Alpha to Pontiac.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
I just rented a 2009 Chrysler 300 LX (they call the base model "LX" now).

It was so fantastic. They added padded, soft-touch surfaces on the door armrests and on the center console, the redesigned illuminated cupholder area is very well done, and the center stack is now up to the level of the 300C. The wheels were very nice looking (no more plastic wheel covers), the key is now like the ones used by Mercedes-Benz (no actual metal toothy part), and, most importantly, the car drove very well over the course of our 800 mile trip. The 2.7L proved to be sufficient, despite its lame 178hp rating. I think the 3.5L would have been ideal, but the 2.7L held its own.

I now remember why I liked my 300C so much. The LX cars are true gems, and I can't wait to see what's next for them.

Of course, DaimlerChrysler and now Chrysler LLC/Cerberus completely fumbled the pricing on this car. The low price was a huge selling point. In 2004, the base 300 was $23,595. Now it's $26,365. Sure the car has improved since 2004, but has it improved by $3,000? No.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
the key is now like the ones used by Mercedes-Benz
No, that's wrong, you shouldn't like it! Mercedes wanted to kill Chrysler and is evil! They key is designed to cost Chrysler a lot and propel Daimler's bottom line. Evil Germans! AAA!

More seriously, the 300 was a novelty back when the industry standard was a Buick LeSabre, but they need to do some serious STYLING this time. The hint at returning to cab-forward is good news to me - I want Chryslers sleek and elegant like before.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I actually liked the lines of the 300M, but the alleged electrical problems turned me off. Chrysler will get my consideration when they can make a non-laughable interior and provide some good reliability.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just rented a 2009 Chrysler 300 LX (they call the base model "LX" now).

It was so fantastic. They added padded, soft-touch surfaces on the door armrests and on the center console, the redesigned illuminated cupholder area is very well done, and the center stack is now up to the level of the 300C. The wheels were very nice looking (no more plastic wheel covers), the key is now like the ones used by Mercedes-Benz (no actual metal toothy part), and, most importantly, the car drove very well over the course of our 800 mile trip. The 2.7L proved to be sufficient, despite its lame 178hp rating. I think the 3.5L would have been ideal, but the 2.7L held its own.

I now remember why I liked my 300C so much. The LX cars are true gems, and I can't wait to see what's next for them.

Of course, DaimlerChrysler and now Chrysler LLC/Cerberus completely fumbled the pricing on this car. The low price was a huge selling point. In 2004, the base 300 was $23,595. Now it's $26,365. Sure the car has improved since 2004, but has it improved by $3,000? No.

Really? Well, I rented a brand new 08 Charger SXT, 3.5l and I thought it was garbage. Where do I start....

Let me start with the powertrain... not very good. Brand new car, and the tranny felt like it was going to blow up. Set the cruise control to say 130km/h... then press the botton to slow down. What happens? The tranny will downshift to slow you down, which is good, except it BANGS down a gear, to the point of waking up my sleeping girlfriend. Pritty scary.... and the clunking didn't stop there. Let say you drive for 3 hours straight, and you pull over at a truck stop. Come back 15 min later, get in and continue down the HWY. That tranny would have a slight bang on EVERY gear change 1-2 2-3 3-4 and so on.... why??? When the car was cold, it shifted very smoothly.

As for the interior, yes they added soft touch material, but it looks like the cheapest stuff on the market. My old man's Outlook has hard plastic everywhere, yet it looks way more expensive.

That plastic key was good when you had the key in your pocket, but felt flimsey when used to start the car.

And I left the best for last... those damn seats.... they are not seats, more like park benches... hard and narrow. My rear end has not been the same since. And this is no joke. Yes, I drove a total of 7000 km in two weeks, which is alot, but I have drivin other cars for the same amount of time and I have not had the same issue.

The only plus I can think of for that car is the chassis. Awsome. It can take corners very well, mid corner bumps do not disturb this platform at all. The steering feel was very numb but direction was very good.

Last year, I drove a Dodge Magnum for the same amount of time on the same roads and HWYs, and the only complaint i had was the seats, but quality wise, it felt much better, and this was in regards to the powertrain and even the old dash looked better. The old tranny felt like what it was, a nice mercedes 5 speed. The Charger this year felt like an old Chrysler 4 speed. Not sure if the 4 speed was ever offered with the 3.5l.

If i was givin the chance to pick from say.... a Ford Fusion or a Dodge Charger, I would take the Fusion home every time. A smaller car that is actually just as usable. Good seats, great interior materials for the most part, a drivetrain that was not trying to self-distruct and even better handling. And this is coming from a guy that prefers RWD cars.

Ok rant is over....

CHARGER= 1200 Km on the Odometer (CRAP)
Magnum= 1600 Km on the Odometer (Very good except the seats)
Fusion= 1100 Km on the Odometer (Loved this car)

Cheers

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
first before i found out about the camaro, i thought of buying a charger.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The new charger is supposed to look a lot like the 69 R/T. I think it'll kinda be a modern styling on the retro look. I got the info from a dealer that has seen it, found it here

The Charger they showed us was still in clay, but Giles said that he was trying to capture the look of the 69 Charger R/T. The car retained a lot of the current Chargers look, but the body lines had more edge the rear quarters were taller the hood looks like the current hood in use on the 08 Magnum and the body sides were concaved like the 69 Charger. The rear doors appeared to melt into the body, if we get Charger they showed us it will blow your socks off. The 300 doesn’t stray to far from the original design, again sharper edges and very refined. The big improvement is in the interiors, again if they stick to what we saw then you’ll be blown away. The Interiors were beautiful a lot of attention to detail. The Hornet looks like the prototype, kind of looks like a cross between the first Scion xb and the Honda Element. The New Grand Cherokee looks like a Mercedes Benz Grand Cherokee, they dropped the boxy look the vehicle has soft rounded lines, again a lot to attention to detail.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Really? Well, I rented a brand new 08 Charger SXT, 3.5l and I thought it was garbage. Where do I start....

Let me start with the powertrain... not very good. Brand new car, and the tranny felt like it was going to blow up. Set the cruise control to say 130km/h... then press the botton to slow down. What happens? The tranny will downshift to slow you down, which is good, except it BANGS down a gear, to the point of waking up my sleeping girlfriend. Pritty scary.... and the clunking didn't stop there. Let say you drive for 3 hours straight, and you pull over at a truck stop. Come back 15 min later, get in and continue down the HWY. That tranny would have a slight bang on EVERY gear change 1-2 2-3 3-4 and so on.... why??? When the car was cold, it shifted very smoothly.

As for the interior, yes they added soft touch material, but it looks like the cheapest stuff on the market. My old man's Outlook has hard plastic everywhere, yet it looks way more expensive.

That plastic key was good when you had the key in your pocket, but felt flimsey when used to start the car.

And I left the best for last... those damn seats.... they are not seats, more like park benches... hard and narrow. My rear end has not been the same since. And this is no joke. Yes, I drove a total of 7000 km in two weeks, which is alot, but I have drivin other cars for the same amount of time and I have not had the same issue.

The only plus I can think of for that car is the chassis. Awsome. It can take corners very well, mid corner bumps do not disturb this platform at all. The steering feel was very numb but direction was very good.

Last year, I drove a Dodge Magnum for the same amount of time on the same roads and HWYs, and the only complaint i had was the seats, but quality wise, it felt much better, and this was in regards to the powertrain and even the old dash looked better. The old tranny felt like what it was, a nice mercedes 5 speed. The Charger this year felt like an old Chrysler 4 speed. Not sure if the 4 speed was ever offered with the 3.5l.

If i was givin the chance to pick from say.... a Ford Fusion or a Dodge Charger, I would take the Fusion home every time. A smaller car that is actually just as usable. Good seats, great interior materials for the most part, a drivetrain that was not trying to self-distruct and even better handling. And this is coming from a guy that prefers RWD cars.

Ok rant is over....

Cheers
Two different cars, in two different countries, from two different model years, from two different brands, from two different rental companies, with two different drivers, with two different specific usage histories....experiences are bound to be different.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Good for Chrysler.

Since GM - and now FoMoCo - seem to have abandoned the large-American, affordable-RWD segment, this is great news for those looking for such a product.

And since Ralph Gilles seems to be a very talented designer, with a good grasp of what needs to be fixed in Chrysler designs, I think that the successor to these two products are in good hands.

I wish them well - and I hope that its a homerun for the folks in Aubrun Hills.

·
Premium Member
5,033 Posts

Ok rant is over....

Cheers
Really? Well, if it was a 2008, then it wasn't a brand new Charger, now was it?
If you look around you will see my comments on the '09 Charger SXT. A great value.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Just like there will always be a market for FS SUV's and minivans and FS pick-ups and high-performance sports cars and a variety of other vehicles that will be in some form of demand despite what gas prices are, so, too, will there be a market for FS sedans like the 300 and Charger. While it's important for Detroit to offer a huge variety of more competent vehicles whose primary purpose is superior FE, that doesn't mean that they should neglect the few markets-some of which are still relatively large-in which they maintain an edge over import brands. A well-rounded Detroit is what I prefer.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
doesnt sound like the next 300 will be as good looking, but i hope Im wrong

·
Registered
667 Posts
Excellent! I am really looking forward to these LY cars.

It will be fascinating to see how these two characterful vehicles, some of the last unashamedly American cars, are refined and remodelled. The interiors sound like a genuine breakthrough for Chrysler.

Also, the fourth-generation Grand Cherokee sounds intriguing. I loved the '93-98 model, liked its successor, too, but I have always loathed the present monstrosity.

I presume we are talking about calendar year 2010 for model year '11, rather than CY 2009 for MY '10?

I just hope Chrysler makes it that far.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I wish the best of luck to Chrysler. I like it when they shock the heck out of GM so they can respond with great cars.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
All the more reason to build a RWD Impala!!

Anyone else think the V6 G8 should have a performace package with option with a turbocharger?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts