GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night my mom and stepdad went and traded in the used up 2004 Impala on a new Cobalt Sport. They had intended to get the SS, but they were all sold out of those. The car they did get is silver, has a sunroof, spoiler, pretty much all of the options. My mom loves it, but I really think they should have gotten the Malibu for its nicer looks and higher quality. Oh well, as long as they're happy. She thinks its a sports car b/c it says "Sport" on the trunk lol:eek:

How reliable are these things? I've never really been a fan of Cobalts myself. It rides good, the sunroof is nice, the stereo is great, and it has an ok level of GO to it. However the inside is pretty cheap (this coming from an F-body man :)), the engine sure makes a lot of noise for not being too much bigger than a vacuum cleaner motor, and the cloths seats are pretty weak.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
cool I hope it serves your folks well. if they wanted performance they should have waited for the turbo model but the sport model still has a bit of zip to it. and I do share the same opinion about how crappy the seats are

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
The interior isn't CTS or Malibu grade but I like my mom's LTZ. The base rental LS interior is functional but not "nice" compared to the competition

·
Registered
116 Posts
So last night my mom and stepdad went and traded in the used up 2004 Impala on a new Cobalt Sport. They had intended to get the SS, but they were all sold out of those. The car they did get is silver, has a sunroof, spoiler, pretty much all of the options. My mom loves it, but I really think they should have gotten the Malibu for its nicer looks and higher quality. Oh well, as long as they're happy. She thinks its a sports car b/c it says "Sport" on the trunk lol:eek:

How reliable are these things? I've never really been a fan of Cobalts myself. It rides good, the sunroof is nice, the stereo is great, and it has an ok level of GO to it. However the inside is pretty cheap (this coming from an F-body man :)), the engine sure makes a lot of noise for not being too much bigger than a vacuum cleaner motor, and the cloths seats are pretty weak.
The 2.4 Ecotec doesn't come alive until you put on a few thousand kilometres. So after a few months it should feel well broken in (assuming your parents treat it nicely).

Also, USE PREMIUM (91) as recommended. Then you should notice a difference in the performance and especially in the NVH of the engine.

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
The Cobalt is let down only by its el-cheapo interior materials and dumpy front styling.

The upcoming replacement will hopefully address these issues.

You believe the Cobalt interior is cheap because you were told it's cheap. Likewise, you believe the Corolla interior has "the quality and execution of a $60,000 Lexus" because you were told that.
The problem of believing what you're told to believe is that you miss out on a great product.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You believe the Cobalt interior is cheap because you were told it's cheap. Likewise, you believe the Corolla interior has "the quality and execution of a $60,000 Lexus" because you were told that.
The problem of believing what you're told to believe is that you miss out on a great product.
I can't see the comparison picture but I'm inclined to believe you. Those who don't fall for foreign-car misconceptions understand how cheap Toyota, Nissan, and Honda interiors can be. The Corolla is garbage compared to a Cobalt.

Edit: who wants a cruise control lever on the bottom right of the steering column?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To me, the "cloth" they used for the seats is very weak (thin, flimsy??) feeling not to mention it is rough. I'm used to leather or the extremely smooth almost velour like seats in my car. Add on the fact that the seats are not comfortable at all and they get a negative mark in my opinion. Oddly enough, the back seats are comfortable for me however the legroom is minimal (not F-body minimal, but damn close).

The other complaint I have is that the little hoop that the driver/passengers seat belt goes through is flimsy. If it made it 2 years without snapping I'd be amazed. I think they literally spent $2 on this. And would it have killed em' to have made the center console a little bigger?

On the plus side its one of the smoothest riding small appliance cars I've ever ridden in. I didn't feel like I was in a rolling death trap either. It felt bigger than it really was and to me, in a car that small I prefer the larger feeling.

Having spent some time with it today, all I can say is that GM has improved substancially on their small cars but they still have a long way to go until they can match Honda and Toyota.

Oh, answer me this......on the gear selection it says P, R, N, D, I, and L from top to bottom. Now I assume L means Low, but what the hell does I mean? Intermediate???

·
Registered
903 Posts
To me, the "cloth" they used for the seats is very weak (thin, flimsy??) feeling not to mention it is rough. I'm used to leather or the extremely smooth almost velour like seats in my car. Add on the fact that the seats are not comfortable at all and they get a negative mark in my opinion. Oddly enough, the back seats are comfortable for me however the legroom is minimal (not F-body minimal, but damn close).

The other complaint I have is that the little hoop that the driver/passengers seat belt goes through is flimsy. If it made it 2 years without snapping I'd be amazed. I think they literally spent $2 on this. And would it have killed em' to have made the center console a little bigger?

On the plus side its one of the smoothest riding small appliance cars I've ever ridden in. I didn't feel like I was in a rolling death trap either. It felt bigger than it really was and to me, in a car that small I prefer the larger feeling.

Having spent some time with it today, all I can say is that GM has improved substancially on their small cars but they still have a long way to go until they can match Honda and Toyota.

Oh, answer me this......on the gear selection it says P, R, N, D, I, and L from top to bottom. Now I assume L means Low, but what the hell does I mean? Intermediate???
Are you sure it is not 1 (one)? Otherwise my guess is as good as yours.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts

Have you seen the sheen on the plastic on the cobalt? Yikes, I can see them in traffic all day, pretty damn shiny to me. And yes shine does not relay quality, regardless of hard or soft touch. Done.
Don't tell me what I have been told, you don't know me. The interior is cheap.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

I disagree. The Cobalt interior is a cut below the Civic and Corolla, and way below a Jetta. The other problem is the interior colors, the sea of gray just looks terrible.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Congrats!

CobaltSS

Interior needs ALOT of work. I made a list over 6 months ago about 14-16 ways to improve the Cobalt to make it World Class...*IF* GM implements those changes on top of the 9mpg increase its supposed to get, it will be.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Reliability should be pretty darn good. I've bought my 2007 Cobalt LT in Aug 2006 and only had one small warranty issue (the weatherstripping on the right door leaked water when it rained, they replaced it and now I have no puddle in the backseat floor)

the only warning I give about the interior is that the paint on the door handles will scratch off rather easily. I have a bunch of black spots where my silver peeled off. The seats don't tear easily, they are decent, and my plastic buckle piece hasn't cracked yet on either side *knock on wood*

·
Registered
44 Posts
My '07 Cobalt SS 2.4L (same as '08 sport) has been a great car. No problems at all and I am pleased with how the car behaves. I believe you will be happy with it. As far as the interior quality I have no complaints. I think it is attractive but not perfect.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
The Cobalt's interior is nowhere competitive.

I rented a Cobalt sedan a few months ago, and I felt it's interior is functional enough. Everything about the interior was pretty "minimal effort."

Not impressed.

Nice driving dynamics for the most part, though.

Oh, congrats on the buy. The car will serve you well.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Are you sure it is not 1 (one)? Otherwise my guess is as good as yours.
If it is "1" then it should be in the place marked "L" ;)

I guess it is "intermediate"... I mean WTF does the "S" in the old style GM cars (P R N D S L) mean? My Firebird owner's manual says it stands for "Super"! Thankfully my Firebird has a much easier to comprehend shift pattern, it goes 1-2-3-4 and R :drive:

Put it in "H"!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
35,138 Posts

you really need to get a camera and show us this car

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.