GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
^ "logically'-speaking; yes. Sans any evidence, every comparison win is backed by a check; Cadillac, BMW, mercedes, genesis... doesn't matter. In fact, publications probably run bid wars to see who wants to pay the most each month/test.

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
^ "logically'-speaking; yes. Sans any evidence, every comparison win is backed by a check; Cadillac, BMW, mercedes, genesis... doesn't matter. In fact, publications probably run bid wars to see who wants to pay the most each month/test.
Hahaaa! Be funny if it were true, but ultimately it makes no sense in today's world, they payments would be so huge to win with the large amount of reviewers out there today. Maybe 50 years ago when there were a limited number of publications. All I know is I've watched a lot of CT4-V and CT5-V reviews and all of the reviewers are having a blast driving like them, many grinning like kids. GM got the V's right, the CT5-V deserves the win.

·
Registered
12,885 Posts
So wouldn't then all manufacturers be threatening to pull advertising dollars if they don't get the win they paid for? If so, then these reviewers will no longer get ad dollars from anyone but GM as GM got the win?

Look at the reviews for the CT5-V, virtually every reviewer has a blast with the car. While I don't have the CT5-V, I do have the CT4-V which gets similar reactions from reviewers and I can attest to the fact the car is FUN - it is hard to drive it and not have a grin on your face. The CT5-V deserves the win.
CAsh for Comment is a real thing

Do you think Toyota win all those comparos because they have the best cars?

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
CAsh for Comment is a real thing

Do you think Toyota win all those comparos because they have the best cars?
So then why doesn't another manufacturer simply pay more? Why has GM and Ford not ponied up more for wins? Why would GM let the F-Series win year after year and not pay up for better reviews when billions in profit are at stake? The pay to win has never made sense to me. Why would the entire auto industry sit idly by and let certain ones pay more/win year after year? And Toyota doesn't win comparisons very much, tends to mostly be Mazda/Honda winning in the auto mags as they are more entertaining to drive. I have no doubts that it does occur on occasion, just like major sports, I think the majority of the time the wins/losses are real.

I'm skeptical because GM has taken losses for years, people shouting media bias, GM finally does their homework and comes up with a legitimate win, then GMI swoops in and takes it away from them - it wasn't bias at all, GM simply hasn't been making the necessary payments all these years. If GM and Ford weren't making the necessary payments to win all these years, why wouldn't they just contact the FBI and have stings done to have arrests made and the corrupt auto industry cleaned up?

If the CT5-V were a mediocre car then I could see the call to criticize the win, but the CT5-V brings the goods and the grins - the grins are real.

·
Registered
12,885 Posts
So then why doesn't another manufacturer simply pay more? Why has GM and Ford not ponied up more for wins? Why would GM let the F-Series win year after year and not pay up for better reviews when billions in profit are at stake? The pay to win has never made sense to me. Why would the entire auto industry sit idly by and let certain ones pay more/win year after year? And Toyota doesn't win comparisons very much, tends to mostly be Mazda/Honda winning in the auto mags as they are more entertaining to drive. I have no doubts that it does occur on occasion, just like major sports, I think the majority of the time the wins/losses are real.

I'm skeptical because GM has taken losses for years, people shouting media bias, GM finally does their homework and comes up with a legitimate win, then GMI swoops in and takes it away from them - it wasn't bias at all, GM simply hasn't been making the necessary payments all these years. If GM and Ford weren't making the necessary payments to win all these years, why wouldn't they just contact the FBI and have stings done to have arrests made and the corrupt auto industry cleaned up?

If the CT5-V were a mediocre car then I could see the call to criticize the win, but the CT5-V brings the goods and the grins - the grins are real.
How to cars found as ordinary in some countries are not ordinary in others for the same cars?

It's very clear that there is a number of media outlets that do not want to give poor reviews to their cash cow sponsors

I will look at a major magazine/online source such as Motortrend

Lets say Toyota pay them 5 million a year for advertising Gm 3 mill and Ford 2 mill (hypothetically of course the manufacturers an dnumbers are not real)

If Toyota start getting a lot of poor reviews they might only pay 4 mill next year

If you think this doesnt happen I think thats extremely naive

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
How to cars found as ordinary in some countries are not ordinary in others for the same cars?

It's very clear that there is a number of media outlets that do not want to give poor reviews to their cash cow sponsors

I will look at a major magazine/online source such as Motortrend

Lets say Toyota pay them 5 million a year for advertising Gm 3 mill and Ford 2 mill (hypothetically of course the manufacturers an dnumbers are not real)

If Toyota start getting a lot of poor reviews they might only pay 4 mill next year

If you think this doesnt happen I think thats extremely naive
First, yes, I have no doubts there are biases and money becomes a factor, but not 100% of the time. Were it that simple we'd see rankings change every year as different magazines decide to pony up more $$ to win. Mazda and Honda consistently win comparisons - I find it hard to believe they pay the most year after year after year. And, I haven't seen an overwhelming amount of Cadillac advertising to lead me to believe they paid for the win.

Let me switch the line of argument a bit. Have you watched many Youtube reviews of the CT5-V? I have and they've mostly been very positive and many of them are literally grinning and laughing from the fun they are having with the car - have you seen that? And, do you also agree that tends to be the criteria for cars to win with auto journalists? That's why Mazda generally wins (yet doesn't win in the market place). Doesn't seem to mater what kind of car it is, a cheap small car or a $100k sports car - the one that puts a big grin on their faces wins and minor shortcomings are cast aside. Do you agree with that? So, if you do, why do you find it hard to believe the CT5-V won?

I said earlier, my CT4-V is a lot of fun to drive - considerably more than my old ATS (which was a fun car). I grin like a 5 year old when I decide to have fun with it. I can only imagine how much more fun the CT5-V is with the TTV6. Otherwise the cars are very similar - very easy to use infotainment, which was a huge shortcoming of the CTS/ATS and constantly cited as a reason for their not winning. Interiors are nicely done, they may not be overdone like a Mercedes, but they are nice. GM enhanced the good parts of the CTS/ATS while improving most of where they failed.

·
Registered
12,885 Posts
First, yes, I have no doubts there are biases and money becomes a factor, but not 100% of the time. Were it that simple we'd see rankings change every year as different magazines decide to pony up more $$ to win. Mazda and Honda consistently win comparisons - I find it hard to believe they pay the most year after year after year. And, I haven't seen an overwhelming amount of Cadillac advertising to lead me to believe they paid for the win.

Let me switch the line of argument a bit. Have you watched many Youtube reviews of the CT5-V? I have and they've mostly been very positive and many of them are literally grinning and laughing from the fun they are having with the car - have you seen that? And, do you also agree that tends to be the criteria for cars to win with auto journalists? That's why Mazda generally wins (yet doesn't win in the market place). Doesn't seem to mater what kind of car it is, a cheap small car or a $100k sports car - the one that puts a big grin on their faces wins and minor shortcomings are cast aside. Do you agree with that? So, if you do, why do you find it hard to believe the CT5-V won?

I said earlier, my CT4-V is a lot of fun to drive - considerably more than my old ATS (which was a fun car). I grin like a 5 year old when I decide to have fun with it. I can only imagine how much more fun the CT5-V is with the TTV6. Otherwise the cars are very similar - very easy to use infotainment, which was a huge shortcoming of the CTS/ATS and constantly cited as a reason for their not winning. Interiors are nicely done, they may not be overdone like a Mercedes, but they are nice. GM enhanced the good parts of the CTS/ATS while improving most of where they failed.
No I haven't

Mainly because watching a video of a vehicle I can't buy is sort of pointless ;)

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
No I haven't

Mainly because watching a video of a vehicle I can't buy is sort of pointless ;)
No issue there, but I'd say, to be fair, you should look at a couple to see the reaction's before you say the reviewers were bought off & discount the win. The reason I'm arguing with you is because the reviews have been THAT positive - I think your assessment that GM had to pay the reviewers for a win on a vehicle you've never driven nor even watched any reviews is unfair.

And, my apologies to an extent. I temporarily took Sdot. off my ignore list and see you were reacting to a comment of his that I didn't realize at the time. He's safely back on ignore.

·
Registered
12,885 Posts
No issue there, but I'd say, to be fair, you should look at a couple to see the reaction's before you say the reviewers were bought off & discount the win. The reason I'm arguing with you is because the reviews have been THAT positive - I think your assessment that GM had to pay the reviewers for a win on a vehicle you've never driven nor even watched any reviews is unfair.

And, my apologies to an extent. I temporarily took Sdot. off my ignore list and see you were reacting to a comment of his that I didn't realize at the time. He's safely back on ignore.

I simply agreed with another poster who said that the reviewer saying their best car they reviewed all year is not a Porsche is suspect thats all

Like saying you reviewed a whole heap of sports cars all year but your best vehicle you tested was a Yugo

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I simply agreed with another poster who said that the reviewer saying their best car they reviewed all year is not a Porsche is suspect thats all

Like saying you reviewed a whole heap of sports cars all year but your best vehicle you tested was a Yugo
Ohhh you offended him, you should apologize or he'll start an "ignore VS Ute" sidethread with his besties.

·
Registered
18,145 Posts

No problem, I probably would've ignored your comment if I realized it was sdot related.

Porsche makes fine vehicles, but they don't always win. And, I'll put money on it Sdot has driven neither the Porsche nor the CT5-V. And as a reminder, the Camaro SS, on the Alpha chassis, starting in the mid $40's USD, has been compared to the 911 in it's driving "sparkle", so it doesn't take a stretch to see how the Cadillac on the same chassis might be a whole lotta fun to drive at a fraction of the cost of the Porsche.

I'm not going to argue as you've not seen a review of the CT5-V, so you have no basis to form an opinion.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Did the people here who are complaining about CT5 being picked as #1 actually watch and COMPREHEND their reasoning? They said it surprised and impressed them the most and they kept coming back to CT5 as a vehicle they enjoyed…it was THEIR pick and they acknowledged it won’t be everyone’s pick.

As much as I love motormouth, Zack/Andrea and the fact that they are fellow Canadians (I was following way back when he hosted a car tv show) the channel does not have a big subscriber base in comparison to the big dogs. This conspiracy thing some of you harbor is laughable. None of the manufacturers are going to pay squat to a channel this size. Look to redline or the straight pipes if you must have something to cry about…they very well may be taking cash under the table cause both channels seem greedy. GM vehicles, in particular, always take a hit, for minor things that other manufacturers surprisingly get away with. For instance..Sofya on redline criticized either tahoe/Yukon for “FINALLY getting rid of the tacky, stuck on rear wiper from previous gens and going with a hidden rear wiper as Ford and Toyota have done it for years” -even though this is the SECOND gen GM full size w that feature whereas the expy/navigator do not have it. And Cadillac has had hidden wipers for many years which is a brilliant thing to incorporate into the design.

Cadillac deserves the recognition for a job well done on the CT5. It’s elegant and powerful looking without resorting to ‘80’s kitsch in the interior. I love all the positive reviews I’ve seen

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
"We reviewed many different beers from all around the world, some German imports, some Mexican imports, a unique Japanese brew from a tiny village in Okinawa and the finest crafts from all over the country, and we've come to the conclusion that Bud Light was the best of all"...would it be irrational to think that Budweiser kicked a little something over to the Judge?

·
Registered
658 Posts
"We reviewed many different beers from all around the world, some German imports, some Mexican imports, a unique Japanese brew from a tiny village in Okinawa and the finest crafts from all over the country, and we've come to the conclusion that Bud Light was the best of all"...would it be irrational to think that Budweiser kicked a little something over to the Judge?
Yeah, now show us where that comparo is lol. This is totally different, cars that are pretty similar.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
And before someone says that I'm just hating the CT5...I'm not, I actually like the CT5(V), its the CT4 that I've never been a fan of. But give me a 911 convertible on a sunny day and there's a good chance you'll never see me again to get it back.
Yeah, now show us where that comparo is lol. This is totally different, cars that are pretty similar.
911 Carrera S Cabriolet and CT5V literally have nothing in common other than they both have 4 wheels. I don't hate the CT5...I just know and can recognize when a fix is in...There's no way in hell I'd pick a sedan...hell any sedan M5, E63, you name it after driving a semi exotic convertible, let alone an iconic 911, down a beautiful stretch of Highway....that's an automotive experience you'll never forget.

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
And there's your qualifier. You aren't them.

I, for one; hate convertibles and would never pick one over the same model in a 'hardtop'.
He see's his opinion as fact as he has his self proclaimed "clarity of thought", that's why he's the only person I have on ignore and many other do as well.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
He see's his opinion as fact as he has his self proclaimed "clarity of thought", that's why he's the only person I have on ignore and many other do as well.
Oh...waaah, here we go with this inferiority BS again. You have me on ignore...good for you, no need to advertise it...you're the only one in this thread acting like a twat because VS didn't agree w/ you and agreed w/ my POV...you do this in every thread that involves a point/counterpoint. Last time I checked, this is a discussion forum, we discuss...not all discussions are meant to be rub n tugs...I stated my opinion...and its just that - my opinion and I feel it's closer to factual than you'd like to think it is...so you can agree or disagree, but there's no need for advertising who's on your ignore list. It comes off as "high school girl"ish. And besides, I have enough on here that reply to my posts to keep me occupied, so to your chagrin, I aint goin anywhere.

·
Registered
601 Posts
😂 💯
I swear he’s wingsnut. I know that nut is still lurking here in some form after getting banned many times.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts