GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/b...o.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=logos&st=cse&oref=slogin

New Brand Logos Reflect Shift at G.M.

By ERIC PFANNER - Published: July 29, 2008

WHEN the Insignia, a new car from the General Motors brands Opel and Vauxhall, was introduced last week at the British International Motor Show in London, it came, fittingly, with some new insignias.

During a publicity event last week at a park near Tower Bridge in London, the new Insignia from General Motors was lowered rapidly from a crane that had held the car about 150 feet high.

Opel, General Motors’ biggest-selling division in Continental Europe, and Vauxhall, its equivalent in Britain, are getting new logos as the company aims to “send a message that something is happening with these brands,” said Alain Visser, chief marketing officer for GM Europe.

The new Vauxhall badge shows the brand’s longtime mascot, a griffin, in a bigger, bolder way, zooming in on its upper body. The mythical beast, which joins the head and wings of an eagle to the body of a lion, appears more three-dimensional; previous versions of the griffin were flat.

The Opel logo, a stylized lightning bolt, also gets more depth in the redesign, though the general shape is unchanged.

With these updates, General Motors joins other automakers, including Volvo, Fiat, Chrysler and Mercedes-Benz, that have recently refreshed or redesigned their logos, seeking an edge in a difficult market.

Full article (and photo) at link.

·
Registered
273 Posts
ok...

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
We already knew this already..

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've seen claims that stickers and graphics add like 30hp. So I can see how these logos might create better mpg's. This is so awesome. Such engineering is so news worthy!!!!

haaahahaha.

·
Super Moderator
10,889 Posts
The fact that they got new logos isn't new-news --- we've known about it for awhile.

But the article itself and the idea of logos and emblems being updated to good affect is a good read.

Some car brands out there (like Mercury and others) should take note of this when it comes to overall image, marketing, and perception.

Of course, the product must come first - but how you get the attention of the public ties into the success of a product.

Good find Perian.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I suppose they could have changed the logos to a Red H, that would have added about 150HP!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Updating brand logos/image is very important. He helps to keep the public perception of a brand as new, fresh and current. GM needs to do this with the GM logo along with Chevy's, Pontiac's and GMC's.

It is the same thing with vehicles and vehicle names. If you stay the course you will sink.

·
Registered
393 Posts
"Ahh..yeah..well...hhhmmmmm"

The idea that anyone outside of this forum and other interested parties give a rip as to the insignias on the side of the cars, is just plain silly. How old is the Ferrari prancing horse, the Audi linked rings, the BMW blue and white propeller, need I go on?
It's the car, period, that people care about. It is the long history of the quality and performance of the car that then makes the badge on it meaningful.
Until GM leadership gets that through their heads we will contenue to watch the firm bleed.

·
Registered
550 Posts
A logo change can help disassociate the current vehicles from their recent history. That's why it's a good idea for Pontiac and Saturn.

Pontiac should also drastically change the look of the split grille. A lot of people look at the G8 and still think Grand Am or Grand Prix and stay away from it.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
A logo change can help disassociate the current vehicles from their recent history. That's why it's a good idea for Pontiac and Saturn.....
Because of a logo? I'm not buying it. :p:

And could GM ditch that silly extra GM badge on all their cars? I've always assumed that one of GM's 6,000 vice presidents must own a shop that builds those.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Okay I see the point in showing a new logo to go with a new car and revised company focus, however can you really call the Opel logo new? Okay so it's a little bit more 3D-ish but it's essentially the same, if anything adding the OPEL text at the top just over-does things. It was clear and simple before.

And lets not get too excited about the Vauxhall logo either, sure it's newer and cleaner but it's no wonder of brand re-invention. In fact Holden did the same thing back in 1995 or 1996, zooming in on the lion and giving it a more sculpted look.

I can't help but wonder how much money GM threw at this project when essentially a high school student with photoshop probably could have done the same job much cheaper!

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Mercury needs to do the same when they start bring over Euro models to N.A.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts