GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
has kind of a jaguar look to it, formal squarish up/down front end with X-5 style headlamps. nothing special but I'm sure it'll look nice...

which AGAIN begs the question, why don't we have one of those in the USA. Hell the nicest car GM sells is arguably the Chinese Park Avenue (Holden Zeta Premium, i don't bother with their 500 names of the same dang car)

CobaltSS

·
Registered
279 Posts
That's a wonderful rendering. I suspect the real version will be similar, but cursed with slab sides, much like the current generation.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
I don't think I should pass judgement on it, yet. BUT I SURE HOPE IT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THIS MONSTROSITY!!

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts
BMW design philosophy is not really evident in this, thus this is likely not real.

from a friend at carspyshots.net (about BMW design common in all BMWs):
For example, the length of the hood in the side elevation is 1/3 of the total car's length. The boot, is 1/6 of the total cars length. The greenhouse is exactly the same length as the wheelbase of the car. The slope of the front of the windshield always hits the top of the front wheel. The height of the greenhouse is actually 1/3 of the total car's height. This is what I am talking about. These ratios remain the same for all of the BMW sedans. It's all there in front of us. Take any BMW sideview and measure it out yourself. THIS is what makes designing a BMW hard and this is what I mean by the Golden Ratio.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
A massive improvement over the current 7 if that's what's coming. I like that.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you read the article, they mention how BMW is moving away from its current styling philosophy and back to the old one. This one i supposedly much more familiar to the last gen than the current one. They have about 7 pictures, looking through them the rendering does seem to be accurate.

·
Registered
44,163 Posts
has kind of a jaguar look to it, formal squarish up/down front end with X-5 style headlamps. nothing special but I'm sure it'll look nice...
Heh. I thought the same thing. Jaguar. BUt that's most likely because of the green, which isn't dark enough for "British Racing Green" anyways.

But the front cowl and hood is too flat to be a Jaguar. Jaguar design aesthetic usually gives the impression that the car is leaping forward like a cat.

This is an interesting design for the new 7.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Compared to the spy shots, the proportions on the front of the green one above are off.

I do hope to see some CS cues in the new 7-series, however I'm not too sure that it will be as close to the CS as this chop looks. (It is mostly the long and low look; the spy shots make the vehicle appear to be a bit more rounded out, and honestly, taller,)

-Chase

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I know they are working on a model like the CS to be above the 7 series, but this version of the 7 gets some CS cues, and turbo engines, so should be a great fuel efficient large car, especially the diesel and hybrid versions

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I hope the tuners don't totally ignore the next gen. 7 series........the '07 Alpina B7 was pretty sick.....but the only tuned 7 I could find....

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I do not like the giant flaired nostrils of the new 7 Series! Looks terrible IMO. But the Alpina B7 looks really nice, especially the deep wheels! If I had a extra $120,000 g's I would concider one, well mabey not, for $120g I could get a R8!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
That's a wonderful rendering. I suspect the real version will be similar, but cursed with slab sides, much like the current generation.
The new 7-series isn't that slab sided, it has that flame surface thingy forming a prominent crease/line that runs through the door handles

Sides are similar to that of the Concept CS except without the break on the rear door, the crease on the sides of the new 7-series runs from the front fenders all the way to the back.

...the outgoing 7-series, now thats slab sided.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts