GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New BMW 335d May be Diesel’s Best Shot in U.S.

MUNICH – I pull into the left lane of the autobahn a few miles north of the Austrian border and put my foot down at about 80 mph (120 km/h).
The U.S.-spec BMW 335d sedan makes a churning, mechanical roar and lunges forward like a runaway locomotive, quickly hurtling to the electronic speed limiter at about 135 mph (217 km/h). The cars in front scamper to the right lane like frightened animals.

Once I'm settled in the passing lane, the cabin quickly becomes hushed, with only a faint thrum emanating from the engine compartment. For a few glorious kilometers, I am the undisputed king of the road, loping down the autobahn at a ridiculous speed in the most fuel-efficient vehicle BMW AG ever has offered for sale in the U.S.

More here:

http://wardsauto.com/testdrive/bmw_335d_diesel_081020/

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I personally think suggesting this is the best shot is an overstatement. IMO, diesel's best shot would be a well advertised midsize volume model where the diesel option is not a huge step up in cost--like say if the Epsilon cars offered a diesel powertrain where the upcharge was held to no more than around $1,000.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I personally think suggesting this is the best shot is an overstatement. IMO, diesel's best shot would be a well advertised midsize volume model where the diesel option is not a huge step up in cost--like say if the Epsilon cars offered a diesel powertrain where the upcharge was held to no more than around $1,000.
Agreed.....slipping diesels under the hood of some premium-lux cars may be a good way to introduce them to the US market again as well as change perception (slowly!) over time, but for a 'best shot', slip them under the hoods of some popular midsizers instead :yup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.