GM Inside News Forum banner

New Aveo, Cobalt, and 1.4 L turbo are coming to US in mid-2010

15K views 65 replies 45 participants last post by  kovich14 
#1 · (Edited)
http://media.gm.com/servlet/Gateway.../viewpressreldetail.do?domain=827&docid=46161

GM Announces New Products, Capacity Adjustments; Continues Transformation of North American Business
  • New car, powertrain programs to meet the changing needs of U.S. customers
  • Chevy Volt production gets the green light from the GM board
  • GM builds on car momentum with additional capacity; adjusts truck capacity
  • Hummer brand set for strategic review
WILMINGTON, Del. - GM today announced a range of strategic initiatives to aggressively respond to growing demand for fuel-efficient vehicles and to economic and market challenges in North America. Rick Wagoner, GM chairman and CEO, made the announcements here as part of the GM annual meeting of stockholders.

Major initiatives announced by Wagoner include:

• A new global compact car program for Chevrolet, a next generation for the popular Chevy Aveo, and a high efficiency engine module for the U.S. market.
  • Funding for production of the Chevy Volt extended-range electric vehicle.
  • Addition of third shifts to Lordstown and Orion, which build hot-selling Chevy and Pontiac cars.
  • Cessation of production at four plants that build pickups, SUVs and medium-duty trucks.
  • A strategic review of the Hummer brand.

New Chevrolet models and a high-efficiency engine module approved

To further strengthen GM's lineup of fuel-efficient cars, the GM board has approved a next-generation compact Chevy for the U.S. and global markets, a next generation of the popular Chevy Aveo, and a U.S. production module of GM's 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine.

The new Chevy compact will be better equipped than today's compact cars, and will be designed to set quality and safety benchmarks for the compact class. Production will begin in mid-2010 at GM's Lordstown, Ohio, plant, subject to final negotiations with state and local authorities.

"This car will represent the first U.S. application of our global architecture strategy," said Wagoner. "This strategy will pay major dividends as we leverage our extensive car product development capability in Europe, Korea, and other locations to accelerate the shift in our U.S. product portfolio."

The next-generation compact will be pure Chevrolet in design, and will feature the 1.4-liter turbocharged version of GM's global four-cylinder engine. With this engine and a manual transmission, the new Chevy is expected to achieve a 9 mpg improvement over Chevy's current entry in this segment. The engine will be produced in Flint, Michigan, again subject to final negotiations with state and local authorities.

Also recently approved was a next generation of the popular Chevy Aveo. Based on a global architecture, the Aveo is also expected to have segment-leading fuel economy when it goes on sale in the U.S. market in the second half of 2010.

These new Chevy models will help build on GM's leadership in fuel efficient vehicles. For example, GM continues to offer more vehicles with a 30-mpg or better highway fuel economy rating than any competitor.

More information on 1.4 L turbo engine:

Opel will get a 1.4 L VVT turbo engine in 2010

#41 ·
i bet it will require premium fuel because it is T/C

#17 ·
A 1.4 turbo seems kind of big for a car that small. Hopefully this is meant for what we know as the Aveo.

And yeah I would like to know more about the 1.4 too. If 'm not mistaken the Aveo's current 1.6 and that whole family of small engines is derived from an old opel architecture, and are ecotecs only in name. I hope this 1.4 isn't one of them, and is a whole new engine.

#11 ·
If I were in the market for a compact car why on Earth would I consider an Aveo penalty-box from Daewoo? Especially when over at Ford I'll be able to get a European-engineered Fiesta. A host of foreign companies are already playing in this segment with better products too.

#13 ·
If I were in the market for a compact car why on Earth would I consider an Aveo penalty-box from Daewoo? Especially when over at Ford I'll be able to get a European-engineered Fiesta. A host of foreign companies are already playing in this segment with better products too.
Thats all depends on how the currency issues with the US$ play out. Long term Euro imports can only get more expensive if things stay the same way.

#42 · (Edited)
yes gasoline could be back down to $3 a gallon by then and if this happens what do you think the sales will be ???? remember the dems will be in the oval office 2 years by then and they have a plan to lower the gasoline prices.

#21 ·
If 1.4L will work for the Cobalt, what about 1.2L and 20 or so less HP for the Aveo? I'm not sure if that would allow it to get better mileage than the 1.4L, but it might. :) A car like the Aveo only needs around 120hp HP.

#23 ·
wow! 45 MPG would be a huge boost for GM. The only thing i am worried about is acceleration. As long as its not ungodly slow, then i think the engine, as well as whatever car its in, will be a huge hit.

coincidently my 07 cobalt gets 38 MPG going 70...so maybe this engine will get more than stated!

#56 ·
Okay, so confused right now. I thought the Cobalt was still on for 2010, but a car would slot between it and the Aveo or something. Is this true or am I just dreaming?
Same here, but I think the report LLN and Autoblog had about that car being unveiled late this year and produced next year was wrong. I think they were about one year ahead of themselves based on everything else I've read. I thought that was a little fast for GM to react to market conditions. Would've been cool to see something like that happen though.

#36 · (Edited)
lets just say its significantly more than 75 new models/variants worldwide in 4 years or less. I've also seen and sat in quite a few of them in preproduction form and they are malibu caliber or significantly better. GM has the interior stuff even in the little cars down in a big way. Can you say malibu style interior design in an aveo.

#37 ·
I sure hope so. It's the small cars they've historically not done well at.

#44 ·
seems to me either the Beat and/ Groove or current Corsa would be great for Pontiac.If the triples are still in the works.GM sells old models in south America, why can't they re badge the current Corsa as a Pontiac Metro or Citi? GM needs something to take on Mazda they are gaining sales.
Also I would rather see Pontiac get a small sedan (Mazda 2/3size) than Chevy who really just needs a new Aveo and Cobalt and smaller truck (if called for).Unless of course, if GM is still working on bring an alpha based coupe for PBG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.