1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car is so sad: :(

Source: The Car Connection

Spy Shots: ‘05 Toyota Avalon
Upgrades in size and style for Toyota’s biggest sedan.
by Hans Lehmann/Hidden Image (2004-03-22)

Click Thumbnail for Full-Size Image

The current Toyota Avalon is often noted to have the quiet ride and interior comfort of Lexus sedans, but at a Toyota price. Despite that, the Avalon sells in relatively small numbers, possibly because the Toyota Camry is so much cheaper than the Avalon, or possibly because the Avalon has somewhat dated, squared-off styling. Word from insiders in Japan, however, reports that the next generation Avalon will have much more modern styling, with a long, rounded roofline sweeping into a high tail. The windshield slopes down to a fairly short, curving hood, and tall, narrow headlights sweep up the front fenders. The overall result is a thoroughly new, modern look for Toyota's flagship sedan.

Along with the new styling comes an upgrade to the latest Camry platform, since the current Avalon is now built on the last-generation Camry platform. The new Avalon will be stretched ... Full Article Here.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I agree, yet no matter how ugly they are people will buy them. Just look at the Element. And all the Car mags will rant and rave about it, mark my word.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by Jay@Mar 25 2004, 03:37 PM
This is a joke, right?

This looks like one of the spaceships from Space Balls. Do they think people will actually buy these?!?!
"but toyotas are the best cars because my uncles knows a guy who had a 1985 tercel that lasted forever!!" <<-typical import buyer

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
yeah, well look at the new Accord coupes. they look kinda like catfish to me, but people like them. Toyota does build a hell of a car, and looks be damned, if the content is good, and it drives well enough, it will sell.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by SUPERBADD75@Mar 25 2004, 04:41 PM
yeah, well look at the new Accord coupes. they look kinda like catfish to me, but people like them. Toyota does build a hell of a car, and looks be damned, if the content is good, and it drives well enough, it will sell.
I know of at least two former Accord owners that were ready to buy another until they took a look. Both hated the front end, and one found the car bloated and sluggish, with steering that rode to loose compared to its predessors (her previous being a 1996 4-banger). The woman happened to be my mother, who instead bought an Audi A4 (after a POS 1993 Taurus, she's vowed to never buy American again). The other guy bought a new Malibu and loves it.

So sometimes, changing to weird styling or making a car too bloated drives loyal customers away.

·
Banned
895 Posts
Superb early design. It wasn't until I saw the new Prius in person that I began to see the wisdom of their design. Nothing GM builds as a passenger car will hold a candle to the new Avalon. The old one was a poor imitation of a buick. This next one makes it unnecessary to consider any GM car in that class. Blue hairs afraid of innovation will find their near-casket like GM mid and full-sized products satisfactory. Everyone else already knows that GM isn't serious about products in this area and will welcome this Toyota product.

And before you jump on me for being a *** car lover, I cannot stand them! But even I have to admit this is a wonderful start to a new era of design. Don't worry GM lovers, your cars will be still available with ample rebates to offset their underengineered and underdesigned products.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Sorry, but I am a Prius fan. This looks very nice! I think it could prove real competition to high priced Galants and Accords as well as Maxima's.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by gmwsag@Mar 25 2004, 05:31 PM
Sorry, but I am a Prius fan. This looks very nice! I think it could prove real competition to high priced Galants and Accords as well as Maxima's.
Yay, I found another Prius fan! Well, that is overstated since there are millions of Prius (or should I say Hybrid) fans out there.

I don't mind the styling, but it could be better. Some people put cars down just on styling but I have to look at price, projected reliability, and feature content before I make my decision. 270HP is kind of hard to put down you guys!

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
I wonder if this is what Toyota meant by paying more attention to design. If so, certainly no one has much to worry about. Admittedly, design is subjective, but I predict that there are other car designs in the same market segment that will find a wider audience. I admire Toyota for its unequaled manufacturing might, but this design reminds me that even Toyota has areas in need of improvement.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
I like it. It actually looked better before I saw the larger zoomed image, but I like the basic idea.

BTW, I'm also a Prius fan. I think I've run over one or two with my Escalade, but I dig 'em.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Originally posted by laserwizard@Mar 25 2004, 06:12 PM
Superb early design. It wasn't until I saw the new Prius in person that I began to see the wisdom of their design. Nothing GM builds as a passenger car will hold a candle to the new Avalon. The old one was a poor imitation of a buick. This next one makes it unnecessary to consider any GM car in that class. Blue hairs afraid of innovation will find their near-casket like GM mid and full-sized products satisfactory. Everyone else already knows that GM isn't serious about products in this area and will welcome this Toyota product.

And before you jump on me for being a *** car lover, I cannot stand them! But even I have to admit this is a wonderful start to a new era of design. Don't worry GM lovers, your cars will be still available with ample rebates to offset their underengineered and underdesigned products.
No, this car won't sell much better than the old Avalon. People who buy cars in this class have better taste than this. Full-size car buyers generally prefer conservative to quirky. The spaceship look works for the Prius because it is a smaller hybrid car and buyers in this segment are usually younger women or people who like to stand out. Impalas, Intrepids, Grand Marquis, LeSabres, Devilles, BMW 7-series, and MB S-class are all full-size cars that sell well (relative to their respective markets) and are intentionally styled conservatively. Even the Maxima and the 7-series have taken flack for their overt exterior styling, and they're not even that bold (personally I think they're gorgeous). The Prius may have received praise for its looks but the Avalon will not. GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc. need not worry about any threat from Avalon.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
only problem i see is with the high rear end. but the car isn't hideous. the front end i actually kinda novel... doesn't look too out-of-this-world to my eyes... just kinda fresh. might not steal many buick buyers (especially with the lacrosse on the way), but should do better than the last avalon. and look at this pic then a pic of the new maxima... the profiles towards the rear are sorta similar.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I see Volkswagen Passat-like cues in that car. I've never heard anyone complain about the Passat's styling. While the next Avalon won't be a runaway hit, it will be a success. Toyota doesn't have the plant space for the Avalon to sell in numbers much greater than 100,000 units since it's only sourced from one plant (along with all Solaras and most Camrys).

·
Registered
375 Posts
This is the unparallelled equivalent of automotive vanilla pudding. The shapes seem to be designed to maximize the function of every part of the vehicle (maximum trunk space, interior room, forward visibility), but leaves no lasting impression whatsoever. I consider this to be a perfect example of the absence of styling. The lack of Japanese creativity has never been more obvious.

Toyota seems to be at a loss in coming up with distinctive brand styling. Its concept cars over the years have ranged from blatant competitor knockoffs (Scion tC), to utterly forgettable.

The styling of the Prius can be understood as a compromise for its purpose: fuel conservation. I doubt that this "Avalon" will enjoy the same free pass.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yea amen to that SmallBlock. I completely agree.

I really don't like the design direction Toyota is taking, but no matter what they do it will sell. However, I really don't see a purpose for this car since if you're going to pay for an upgraded Camry, you might as well just get the ES330.

Now I guess the G6 240 HP needs a bump :( Time to drop in the new small car v8 :)

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by Jay+Mar 26 2004, 06:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jay @ Mar 26 2004, 06:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-laserwizard@Mar 25 2004, 06:12 PM
Superb early design.  It wasn't until I saw the new Prius in person that I began to see the wisdom of their design.  Nothing GM builds as a passenger car will hold a candle to the new Avalon.  The old one was a poor imitation of a buick.  This next one makes it unnecessary to consider any GM car in that class.  Blue hairs afraid of innovation will find their near-casket like GM mid and full-sized products satisfactory.  Everyone else already knows that GM isn't serious about products in this area and will welcome this Toyota product.

And before you jump on me for being a *** car lover, I cannot stand them!  But even I have to admit this is a wonderful start to a new era of design.  Don't worry GM lovers, your cars will be still available with ample rebates to offset their underengineered and underdesigned products.
No, this car won't sell much better than the old Avalon. People who buy cars in this class have better taste than this. Full-size car buyers generally prefer conservative to quirky. The spaceship look works for the Prius because it is a smaller hybrid car and buyers in this segment are usually younger women or people who like to stand out. Impalas, Intrepids, Grand Marquis, LeSabres, Devilles, BMW 7-series, and MB S-class are all full-size cars that sell well (relative to their respective markets) and are intentionally styled conservatively. Even the Maxima and the 7-series have taken flack for their overt exterior styling, and they're not even that bold (personally I think they're gorgeous). The Prius may have received praise for its looks but the Avalon will not. GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc. need not worry about any threat from Avalon. [/b][/quote]
Remember, this is just an ARTIST RENDERING. I don't exactly think it will look like this, but more like the Motor Trend spy shot, which was smoother and un-Prius-like looking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts