GM Inside News Forum banner

New AD. Looking for reaction/comments please.

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Rex Raider 
#1 ·
#7 ·
I think it is a good starting point. It is a good concept, but it may be just a little far-fetched. Not many people equate sports cars or boats with computers. Plus by having the expensive items next to the computers it may be perceived (without reading) as a "luxury-type" or high-end computer which usually doesn't equate with the sub-$300 computers. It may even be perceived (again, without reading) that only rich people can afford it. This is, obviously, the exact opposite reaction you want. And, since research shows most people don't read too much, it may pose a problem.

I do though think it is a fantastic idea for the trade show (having the Boxer in the booth tie into the ad).

An alternative approach you may want to think about is going the other way, sort of a "the computer as an appliance" type approach. Something along the lines of:

Toasters...Microwaves....Computers.
They have more in common than you may think.

I know it is terrible, but I think you get where I am going with this. It may be a little more focused at your target audience. They are most likely looking for something cheap and easy. They are probably a little intimidated by computers, and may be attracted to the more appliance-oriented approach.

Just a couple of my thoughts.

Good luck!

#9 ·
Originally posted by paul8488@Apr 20 2004, 01:46 PM
at a glance it says to me "look at all these good things... i can afford one of them!".

one question... what are 'lindows' (bottom right hand corner)?!? did linux team up with windows?
Lindows is an operating system based on Linux that is supposed to mimic a Windows environment... actually changing names to Linspire....

#10 ·
Lindows (now Linspire) is a Linux based alternative to Windows or other operating systems. Details can be found at Lindows.com

The nicest thing about it (aisde from it being way more stable than Windows) is tha tht elicensing is much better. If you own one copy you are allowed to install it on all the systems in your house legally.

Microsoft makes you buy an OS (Operating system) for each individual computer.

#15 ·
Originally posted by frenstall@Apr 20 2004, 04:48 PM
Never used Lindows, can it dual boot with windows on an NTFS drive or does it need it's own partiton? Seems like it'd be something new to try.
I'm not sure if it can be installed on an NTFS partition, but it would be better to create a partition for its own use. However, it should be able to read an NTFS partition just fine. The only problem will be writting to it as that driver is still experimental. Microsoft won't help anyone write a free driver for NTFS, so it's all been reverse engineered.

#17 ·
This is what I use for multi-OS environments:

http://www.v-com.com/product/sc7_ind.html

Windows, NTFS and Linux partitioning - Automatically!

SC7 includes Partition Commander 6 for full NTFS, Linux, and all other Windows type partition resizing. So creating and resizing partitions are a breeze. And, our NTFS resizing works perfectly with both Windows XP/2000 and older NT versions. This also includes our NTFS to FAT32 converter. Our NTFS converter safely handles all NTFS versions. SC7's advanced conversion technology even handles compressed NTFS volumes, another SC7 exclusive! So, if you need to convert between FAT and FAT32 or from NTFS to FAT32, there's no easier or safer way than with System Commander 7!

#19 ·
You are only looking at 1 system that we offer. And that system isn't designed for the home user. It's made for internet cafes or libraries.

Not everyone needs the speed that you seem to be looking for.

You can easily spend over $1000, $2000 or $3000 for the fastest machine out there. Or you could spend under $300 for one of our machines.

Most people buy computers that are way more powerful than they require.
For surfing the web, e-mail and word processing, you don't need a P4 3.2Ghz with a gig of ram.

Also, our machines run with Linux which is far more stable and less resource hungry than Windows.

Our machines aren't for everyone. Obviously you aren't in our demographic. But there's no need to knock the products just because they don't suit your needs.

Chevy sells Aveos and Corvettes. Different products for different needs.

You drive a Honda. My god, that's so slooooooow! Compared to Corvettes, Ferraris, Vipers, etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.