GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Ford 6 speed automatic bumps Escape mileage 4-6 percent

The top gear has the same ratio as the old transmission but first gear is lower. Combined with a numerically lower final drive ratio, off the line acceleration capability is retained while the engine speed while cruising is reduced. The increased number of ratios also allow for smaller steps between gears so that the engine doesn't have to rev as high in each gear. This helps to reduce both noise and fuel consumption. Combined with various internal design improvements, the new transmission helps achieve a 4-6 percent improvement in fuel efficiency.

In addition to CUVs, the new transmissions will also be used in two other cars early next year, likely to be the refreshed Fusion and Milan sedans which use the same engines as the Escape. Ford plans to shift almost all of their automatic transmissions to new six speeds over the next few years. By the end of 2009, they intend to build over 1.4 million vehicles with six speed automatics, double the current amount. By 2012, 98 percent of their North American transmissions will be six speeds. The new 6F35 is also referred to as the 6F mid-range and although Ford officials wouldn't comment on future products, queries about a 6F low-range for the Focus and Fiesta were met with a smile.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
Are six speeds the inflection point for optimum performance and economy?
Based on Ford's plans it sure looks that way.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
By 2012, 98 percent of their North American transmissions will be six speeds.
Lets hope GM will be in the same position by then. Ford has been a little more agressive then GM at getting rid of 4-speeds but GM seems to be about caught up.

·
Registered
279 Posts
what is ancient about a DOHC engine making 80hp/l?

Igor
Look up in the sky-it's a bird, it's a plane- no it's SUPER FORD FAN.

It sounds like a tractor and feels even worse. They did a nice job refreshing the exterior and the interior, and kept that same piece of crap to power it. The Fusion V6 can't find its way into this thing fast enough. Assuming it fits.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
^^^ Oh yes .... if they kept the 200hp old D30 I would agree, but there are important improvements in the new D30 .. it is closer to the Jaguar D30 than the old Ford D30 ..

I do not know what car you drove the D30 in, but I never had much complaint about it when I drove it in the Mazda6, or Fusion .. the new version is also more efficient than the D35, which is the key reason why it was saved.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Are six speeds the inflection point for optimum performance and economy?
Based on Ford's plans it sure looks that way.
It would seem like it. I just don't see how a 7 or 8, even 9 speed auto transmission is nothing but overkill and a downward trend in efficiency.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts