GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not talking about GMinsidenews. I think this site is non-biased 99% of the time and it provided some great insight into the automotive world. But I have other interests that aren't covered here.

I want to find other fourm sites where i can get involved in a discusion about a topic where people listen to and have respect for what other people have to say. Instead of this I find countless "I'm right, no I right" arguments where people don't give reasons why they think something is better and when you try and give you opinion they insult your character. If some of these arguments were real and not on a web site i'm sure a fight would break out.

for example I just got off a site where there was a fourm about what trilogy was better; LOTRs or the Matrix. I wrote a very long post about why I thought the matrix was better and then two people attacked my spelling and grammer and called me thing that would be censored on this site. They believed that LOTRs was better but they give no reasons why. That's the way most people i come accross are; if you don't agree with them they try and tell you off instead of defending their view.

It there a fourm site where people discuss things, like movies and cars, in a civilized way and don't resort to insults to win an arument?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
The unfortunate thing is that in any forum, there are a few bad eggs that ruin it for the rest of everybody else.

I don't think you will ever find a perfect website/newsgroup/forum. Any one that is moderated to that extreme, will probable cease to be popular.

The fact of the matter is that as long as you express yourself clearly and intelligently that is all that matters. Whether people agree with you or disagree with you isn't important. The people disagreeing with you is what makes the conversation interesting.

It is a shame that some people are just so closed minded, and are unwilling to budge on an idea. It is a shame that not everyone is as articulate at forming a rebuttal.

But there's no such thing as a perfect world.

As for Matrix vs Lord of The Rings, no contest: LOTR rules.

As for your spelling errors, it isn't that difficult to double check your posts. Even in a casual atmosphere like a forum, it's a good idea. It makes you look smarter, and may lead to people appreciating your comments better.

The bias also depends on the site you visit. You can't go to this site and start saying anti-GM or Pro-Ford things without facing some kind of hatred from part of the group. And that bias is reversed when you go to BlueOvalNews.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You'll never find a large, popular forum like what you're looking for. There are too many people with too many drasticaly different points of views. And there are too many people that are willing to argue without really defending their view on things.

About the best you can do is find (or start) a forum where only certain people are invited to or know about. However, this type of forum will be small, not very busy and may be seen as boring.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
have you ever taken a peek at yahoo message boards? YOWZA! what a load of crap! EVERY single story (from dolly the sheep dying to prisoner abuse in iraq to the rover landing on mars) turns into some sort of racial/sexual slur. it boggles my mind! i used to think it was nice to add a comment if so inspired, but i couldn't even be bothered anymore. it's simply a string of insults and ignorant, incoherent babbling. so while you might not find exactly what you're looking for, you'll easily find better than yahoo!

for the most part i agree that GMi is pretty slick. biased? of course... it's "GM"insidenews. but there are lotsa intelligent people (and a few of us who try to fake it ;)) who at least attempt to explain their points of view and not just rant.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
yeah, I find this board very intelligent, any troublemakers are dealt with, if you'll notice there are more than 10 000 members but only a handful of those people post on a regular basis, maybe they forgot about the site or whatever but I tihnk that most people discover that this board is, in general, a place where people can have intelligent conversations with other likeminded people, perhaps not in beliefs but likeminded in the fact that they are all searching for a place to not get pettily insulted for thinking a certain way. I've found that this board is a great place, not simply for the automotive section but also for the offtopic sort of things as well, heck, they even have an asylum for threads that get out of hand. pretty good if you ask me

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Silverado 13, the guys at http://tripleplate.com/ are pretty cool, and discuss a wide variety of topics without jumping on each other - at least last I checked. Little too off-topic for a GM fan like me, but might be right up your alley. I enjoy visiting.

Go to the "Chat" forum - you'll find just about everything discussed there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts