GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom drove through some road paint today, and it splattered all over the bottom of the car.

If anybody could give me some tips or anything on how to remove this splatter from the paint on our Tahoe, please let me know! Thanks!

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I Googled all kinds of strange stuff. This one makes the most sense to me. If it's in fact water based, I would start by washing it (you might want to look into that first, but the longer you wait...). If and when you go the Goof Off route, dab a very small amount on a rag and just work the road paint off--I would just use a paper towel with a dime sized drop of Goof Off and my finger nail at the same time to "scrape" off the overspray. Then wash it off thoroughly and wax. Goof Off is great, but just be careful--if your factory finish feels like it's softening up or your rag drags big time QUIT.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06218/711608-85.stm

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks. I already tried waxing it, and I tried using a clay bar, but neither worked. I got most of it off of the back, but the front of the car still has it.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Damn.. should've got right on it when she did it. Maybe try mineral spirits? I've used it to get gas stains off of my white Jeep around the gas cap. I'd do this as a last try though and try it somewhere out of the way to make sure it won't damage the paint.

And where have you been? Haha

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
We had a little of it on our 2005 Pathfinder soon after we bought it, and I was able to pick each little drip off with my fingernail and/or a plastic scraper. The only parts I couldn't get off were the ones that were in the undercoating-type stuff in the fender wells. That just had to stay there for the most part, but it didn't really bother me very much.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I was going to say clay bar, but you already said you tried that. Castrol Super Clean would be my next step. I mix with 25% Super Clean and 75% water in a spay bottle. You might try it full strength, but wear gloves. It will eat the skin off your hands.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. It has been a while. It happened yesterday morning when she left for work. We didn't spot it until later that afternoon. The 95 degree heat had already done it's damage. I am just going to try scraping it off with my finger. I don't know how the paint will react to chemicals. The car is still fairly new and in good condition, I don't want to mess it up!

To rmodys: I have been busy. I still come on the site, I just don't post. I have been working in my yard, it's my new project. It is a new house, so there is a lot to be done. I will make an effort to come on more. ;-)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I had white stripe road paint on a black car. It took minerals spirits and lots of hard rubbing with a claybar.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
you could try some Total Prep. I get it from Advance. It's paint preparation stuff but it takes off everything except factory finishes. It's pretty sweet and at least for me, never has harmed the factory paint or clearcoat

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seriously... almost everyone is gone.
I know. All the old members are gone. There are a few people still here. I have fallen out of the loop here lately, I need to post a lot more. We should have a huge reunion for all the early members.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.