GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbors son stopped by the other day after graduating college and needs to finish up some time in the military etc...

He needs a new car. He has both GMS and the military discount program...

Can they be joined? Used together?

What car would you recommend him to buy.?

I suggested a solstice or sky and he said he prefers to be able to move his belongings etc...

I suggested shipping his belongings via UPS and he laughed yet stated he prefers four door vehicles..

So what do you guys recommend?

He was looking at a G6 four door and I suggested looking at the Saturn Aura with the mororcan (SP) leather package...

Can he tag a Saturn aura with the 3.6 liter with the big wheels and the leather package for under 25 grand?

Let me know if you think there is something better ...

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Malibu, G6, Aura...all good cars. The Malibu is my fave of the bunch. :yup:

·
Registered
260 Posts
With the Military discount (now at $1500 or more for most vehicles) and the GMS discount (~4% under invoice) you can suggest MSRP prices of close to $30k.
...in which case you can get a fully loaded Malibu LTZ. Best looking and best equippped car on the market for the money for sure.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
HHR SS or Cobalt SS coupe.

Vibe isn't everyone's cup of tea but a GT might be a decent mix between performance and utility.
You mean the Cobalt SS Sedan, right? That's what he said, 4-door.

And I forgot about the HHR and the Vibe. i really like the new Vibe. I liked the last one quite a bit, but I got over it. This new one is nice too. :yup:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
And I forgot about the HHR and the Vibe. i really like the new Vibe. I liked the last one quite a bit, but I got over it. This new one is nice too. :yup:
I guess to each his own. While I do kinda like the HHR (Was in the running when I got my Astra) but I cannot stand the new Vibe. Personally I think it looks hideaous. The previous generation looked a lot better, the belt line is way to high and the curves and windows just make me always want to puke.

But you cannot go wrong with any of the epislons (Malibu, G6, Aura). What are some of the things he is looking for in the car besides 4 drs and price. The Astra is a good car as well and might be worth a look.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes you can combine those discounts. I combined my military and Employee's discount (through my dad) when I bought my Tahoe.

Even though I love my Aura XR, I think I would look long and hard at the Malibu LTZ.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I guess to each his own. While I do kinda like the HHR (Was in the running when I got my Astra) but I cannot stand the new Vibe. Personally I think it looks hideaous. The previous generation looked a lot better, the belt line is way to high and the curves and windows just make me always want to puke.
I really like the front end of it. I like high beltlines (Chrysler LX cars) and the overall shape is good. I'm not a fan of hatchbacks, but I liked the Vibe and Matrix (the older Matrix was WAY better looking than the current). I haven't noticed anything about it that makes my lunch wanna come up. :unsure:

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Saab 9-3! Cobalt SS Sedan Turbo. Saturn Aura XR. BASE BASE CTS. G8. Impala.

CobaltSS

PS: I'd probably get in that order if I were him.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
2003 STS and put the $10,000+ left over towards a down payment on a house/condo

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
If he's big on discounts and deals, go for a mid-range Impala with the no-cost flex-fuel engine option - so he can use E-85 in a pinch. Opt for the rear flip and fold seating if they still offer that, and the front bench if he likes to spread out. Imperial Blue is a nice color you don't see often. Not sure what the equivalent of the LT2 is now, but that was the best value with the flex fuel option. :)

It's not as fancy as the new Malibu, but it's a good car. Perhaps even better as a value lightly used and GM Certified, despite his discounts. The 3.5LV6 gets good fuel economy, too.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I think that the best GM vehicle for the money would be a new Malibu. I prefer the 2LT models with the Ultralux Suede inserts and would opt for the 3.6, the best engine from GM since the 3800 Series II.

By the way, I just priced one on Chevy.com, and without all the added discounts mentioned, the price for a fully loaded 2LT is $27,980 while a fully loaded LTZ stickers for $29,090. I'd go for the 2LT with the V6, personally

·
Registered
13,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys! He has a 9.3 lease thats coming due and he was looking at the G6 sedan.

I thought the Aura might be a better suggestion (although both good vehicles) I love the new malibu too but thought since it was so hot that the dealers are less inclined....

The aura's a nice car...

The XR with the leather was just quoted at 23300...

Thats the top of the line model?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
The Military discount is the supplier discount (GSU) and cannot be combined with the employee price GMS. Which wouldn't make sense anyway. ;) Obviously GMS would be the way to go.

I recommend an Aura or Malibu. Perfect cars and he can walk away with the HF 3.6 for that price from both models or if fuel efficiency is an issue he can get an Aura with the 3.5 V6

Below is the current incentive sheet on military Discounts.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Active & Reserve military Personnel may purchase or lease at supplier price as follows:
(note: N/A with IVC - Instant Value Certificate) N/A Retired military Personnel N/A Discharged Military Personnel

Eligible New models:
2007-2008-2009 GM Pass Cars & Light Duty Trucks(EXCLUDED: ALL HYBRIDS - Corvette Z06)
GM Vehicles defined: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet (NOT CORVETTE Z06), Hummer, GMC, Pontiac, Saab and Saturn.

Military (supplier) price must be detailed on buyers order
All new 2007 models may be sold at lower price. Demo and drivers ED units (2,500-7,500 miles) may be sold at lower price. Dealer installed options, GMPP ok at price agreed to by customer and dealer.

HOW CUSTOMER GETS QUALIFIED FOR PROGRAM:
Custome rmust provide authorix\zation number, drivers license, Military ID to dealer.
CUSTOMER calls 1-877-221-9343 to obtain Autorization number ( a customer website will also be available at a future date).

DEALER ACTION:
Dealer uses customer authorization number to obtain 9 digit approval code at gmdealerworld.com or 1-800-835-4646.
approval code shows on customer dealer agreement form (CDA) that dealer must print from dealerworld or receive by fax if calling 1-800 number.

Dealer must verify the following:
1. DOD Geneva Convention ID military ID card 2. Confirm authenticity of car by checking for DOD "eagle" hologram 3. Attest to accuracy by signing the CDA form

THIS IS THE MILITRAY DISCOUNT PROGRAM (This is not the supplier program however supplier pricing applies)

Compatible programs: OK with rebate, APR, Smartlease/Smartbuy/Saturn Chase Lease/Balloon, bonus cash, dealer cash, coupons/private, offers, goodwill cert, customer appreciation cert, GM card, GM Extended Family Card, Driver ED loaner U5C, Mobility.

not compatible with: GMS, GMU, Supplier/GM for friends, dealer employee, GM ambassador II, GM retiree voucher, college grad, driver ed purchase U4C, instand value cert, GM business choice, special event units, Bid Assitance, National Daily Rental VN9, Fleet Deliveries, Fleet Allowance FVX/FPP

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Thanks guys! He has a 9.3 lease thats coming due and he was looking at the G6 sedan.

I thought the Aura might be a better suggestion (although both good vehicles) I love the new malibu too but thought since it was so hot that the dealers are less inclined....

The aura's a nice car...

The XR with the leather was just quoted at 23300...

Thats the top of the line model?

If I had a 9-3 lease ending I would just buy it instead of paying more to have a lame G6 ;)

But yeah, prefers 4 doors, well, that boy ain't right :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 40 Posts