1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Automotive News
January 18, 2020

NBC picks up sitcom about Detroit carmaker

NBC has given the green light to "American Auto," a comedy set at the headquarters of a fictional Detroit automaker starring former "Saturday Night Live" actress Ana Gasteyer as the CEO.

The concept, according to Deadline, is this: "a floundering group of executives try to rediscover the company identity amidst a rapidly changing industry."

With Gasteyer in the lead role, the show is bound to be seen as a parody of General Motors. But Spitzer and producer Aaron Kaplan actually sold the idea to NBC back in 2013, before Mary Barra became GM's CEO. The show went on the back burner while they worked on other projects, and a pilot was shot last year.

The cast also includes Jon Barinholtz as a descendant of the company's founder, Harriet Dyer as the communications chief, Humphrey Ker as chief sales officer, Michael B. Washington as chief designer, Tye White as an assembly worker and X Mayo as the CEO's assistant.

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't know what year this sitcom is based in, but the vehicle they are looking at looks like a reincarnation of the vaunted AMC Pacer. Good luck to NBC!

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
The fact they mentioned that the cast includes a character that is a descendant of the company's founder makes me think that is a little touch to Ford there.....So it sounds to me like it could be a parody of GM, or of Ford...or more likely a show that grabs a bit from both GM And Ford and maybe even a touch of the old Chrysler. (They would be smart, especially when taking advertising dollars, to not try to make it look like they are taking shots at one particular company.)

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
Interesting topic for a show to be based on. Seems like a topic that won't draw many people in.But then again, Seinfeld was a show about nothing and worked out pretty well!

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,704 Posts
I sort of predict a flop, but then again there is so much disdain and contempt towards gm that based on that feeling along with their "interesting to some" new direction, it just might fly.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Without skin and naughty language, it's doomed.

I give it a pilot and two episodes then Gilligan Island reruns.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Premium Member
33,304 Posts
I sort of predict a flop, but then again there is so much disdain and contempt towards gm that based on that feeling along with their "interesting to some" new direction, it just might fly.
Therein is the problem with public discourse, that a company that has families relying on it would be for no apparent reason be targeted for public ridicule, and that we would even put up with is shows just how low we have fallen as a society.
And we have to people willing to get paid to do it.

If I was GM or any Detroit automaker, there would not be a coin going to NBC from us or any of our affiliates.

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
Just a documentary would look like a parody :lmao:

Reactions: Tomko

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,363 Posts
SNL parody of Lexus "December to Remember" advertisement :D

Reactions: MaxLegroom

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
If they are dusting off not-so-promising ideas from 2013, I'd say it's time for a parody of NBC.
Maybe not. A good question to ask is: Is it still relevant? GM has remained somewhat bumbling, has continued to perfect cars just to kill them off (here's looking at you, CT6!). They are still, no doubt, more concerned with their stock prices than anything else. If it's any consolation, the mention of there being a character that is a descendent of the founder of the company may mean it's not completely a parody of GM, meaning look for elements of Ford in there, too. If I still watched network TV at all, I'd be interested. I might watch this anyway if it's given a go.

I'm not sure, but this might have the virtue of not having been tried before. That alone would be a break from Hollywood continuing to mine the graveyard of past successful ideas for this season's TV shows.

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
Getting older. Down to doing only doing 16 things at once.
In your defense I do find that the publication dates are not always prominently displayed, easily missed... I suspect on purpose to keep people thinking an article is current and keep people clicking to generate ad revenue.

AND is is the beginning of 2021, I'm not used to "2021" as a date yet, seeing "January 2020" may not register that it was a year ago.

·
Premium Member
35,498 Posts
And that is the state of the Hollywood family
Pretty much. Starting with unfunny SNL, but baring the Inconvenient Truths for all to see. However unintentionally.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts