GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080709/car_nascar_stewart_released.html?.v=1

Announcement on Stewart's future set for Wednesday, driver expected to be released from JGR

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- After 10 years and two championships, Tony Stewart appears set to end his relationship with Joe Gibbs Racing to pursue an opportunity to buy his own NASCAR team.
Stewart's contract with JGR runs through 2009, but the team was expected to announce Wednesday that it will release him from his contract at the end of the season. Team owner Joe Gibbs has been trying to sign Stewart to an extension for almost a year, but the popular driver was slow to commit and eventually decided to explore free agency.

Numerous options were presented to Stewart, including buying the fledgling two-car team of Haas-CNC Racing and driving for other organizations. It gave Stewart options Gibbs couldn't match, and likely forced the team to grant him his release despite an initial unwillingness to do so.

Mike Arning, a spokesman for Stewart, said an announcement concerning Stewart's future would be made Wednesday. ESPN.com reported late Tuesday night he would be released from his contract.

"We're just going to look at everything out there," Stewart said in April in announcing he'd test the market. "A wise person once told me it doesn't cost a dime to listen, so right now we're all ears."

While exploring his options, Stewart was most intrigued in potential ownership opportunities -- and he's had an offer on the table since April to rejoin Chevrolet by buying Haas-CNC Racing. By owning a team, Stewart believes he could ensure a spot for himself in NASCAR long after his driving days.

But his contract with JGR stood in the way, and team officials had remained adamant that Stewart would drive the No. 20 through the 2009 season.

"We've got Tony signed through '08 and '09, and we want to go full bore and win a bunch of races and championships together," team president J.D. Gibbs said in April. "Our hope is that if you do that, then long term this will be the spot he chooses to retire. But the reality is we only control these next couple of years, and we went through this his last contract negotiations when he had a lot of options out there.

"Our hope is we do our job, and he retires here."

When it became clear Stewart wanted out, the Gibbs family finally relented and apparently was to sign off on his early departure Wednesday. The team is expected to replace the 37-year-old Stewart, one of NASCAR's most celebrated drivers, with 18-year-old phenom Joey Logano with Home Depot staying on board as the sponsor.

Stewart is in his 10th season with Gibbs, and he and crew chief Greg Zipadelli have the longest active driver-crew chief pairing. Zipadelli is not expected to leave JGR.

In their time together, they've racked up 32 Cup victories, the 1999 rookie of the year title and Cup championships in 2002 and 2005. Stewart has won at least two races a season through his first nine years.

He's been plagued by horrible luck this season and is so far winless. He had to get out of his car because of illness midway through Saturday night's race at Daytona International Raceway, a move many viewed as a sure sign Stewart was moving on. In 2005, Stewart got sick in his car but didn't relinquish the wheel and drove to the victory at Watkins Glen.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Good for him. Back to Chevrolet.

Gibbs ought to be ashamed of himself promoting Toyota.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Fricken awesome, I knew I wouldn't stay mad at Tony for too long.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I love it!!! It would be AWESOME if Stweart joined Jr. over at Hendrick!! Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Dale Earnhardt Jr, and Tony Stewart would make one hell of a power house team!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
The award for least surprising Nascar silly season story of the season goes to...

I mean, seriously, Tony is a GM man through-and-through. What did Gibbs think would happen by forcing him into a different brand of car? But Gibbs doesn't need to worry, he's still got the most-hated driver in the sport in the M&M's car, and whats-his-face in the FedEx car. Two drivers that can win races, and that's all that matters, right? Having fans isn't necessary in Gibbs' eyes, apparently.
I love it!!! It would be AWESOME if Stweart joined Jr. over at Hendrick!! Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Dale Earnhardt Jr, and Tony Stewart would make one hell of a power house team!!!
Not happening. Mark Martin is already signed onto the 5 team next year, and owners are limited to 4 full-time teams, except Roush who was grandfathered in with 5 teams until the end of next season. At least with Stewart Haas Racing, they'll be getting Hendrick equipment.
...and besides, along with being a die-hard GM man, Tony is also a big Coca-Cola-backed driver... Hendrick is a Pepsi-backed owner. It just wouldn't work.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Don't hold your breath GMusa, I think Stewart wants ownership. Either way, he'll be back in a Chevy!:yup:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Jack Rouch should be looking out. The dream team is nearly assembled, and all sporting bow ties.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can an owner still have 5 cars or did they change it to 4??
Four. I noted Roush's situation in my first post.
...and like I said, with Hendrick being a Pepsi-backed owner, and already having signed Mark Martin for 2009, there's no way Tony could join Hendrick now.
[edit] Woah, Smoke... your post... it like, disappeared?

·
Registered
216 Posts
:hyper:This is Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do all of the GMI Members know were he is going to get his engines,car bodies and chassis's.:yup: Thats right Rick Hendrick (Hendrick Motorsports) now Tony will have the same power that Dale Earnhardt JR #88 Jeff Gordon #24 Jimmie Johnson #48 and Mark Martin #5* Stewart/Haas racing will be a satellite team of Hendrick Motorsports. :p:Now we don't have to see Tony driving that piece of s**t Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota Camry! Welcome Back to Chevrolet Tony:clap:

*Mark Martin will come back full time for two years 2009-2010 with Rick Hendrick replacing Casey Mears who is driving the 5 Car now.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I am a Jr. / Stewart fan, it will e nice to have Stewart back with Chevy.

I will not buy anything associated with Toyota.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Very happy to hear Tony will be going back to Chevy. I was extremely disapointed when Gibbs went with Toyota,but I guess they decided to sell their soul for the right price.

Hope Tony and Chevy will be able to kick some Toyota butt in the near future!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:hyper:This is Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do all of the GMI Members know were he is going to get his engines,car bodies and chassis's.:yup: Thats right Rick Hendrick (Hendrick Motorsports) now Tony will have the same power that Dale Earnhardt JR #88 Jeff Gordon #24 Jimmie Johnson #48 and Mark Martin #5* Stewart/Haas racing will be a satellite team of Hendrick Motorsports..
Ya, but not the same power a Shrub

·
Registered
471 Posts
Now if he could just talk Home Depot and Zippy into following him. That would be justice. How about a new name for JGR? Something along the lines of Benedict Arnold Racing?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
... or better yet, if Tony and Jr. eventually turned Haas-CNC into a Stewart/Earnhardt partnership. Now THAT would be a team that would attract the best drivers, fans AND sponsors.

In any case, it feels good to be able to be a Stewart fan again!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I always hope the wheels fall of the Toyota's. When there is a crash I always look to see how many of the rice paddies got crumbled, yep I hate Toyota.

·
Premium Member
9,040 Posts
... or better yet, if Tony and Jr. eventually turned Haas-CNC into a Stewart/Earnhardt partnership. Now THAT would be a team that would attract the best drivers, fans AND sponsors.

Jr. already owns Chance 2 racing in the Nationwide series. If Jr. went to "owner/driver" status, he would keep that name. It will be good to see Tony in some GM labeled cars that are shaped like everyone else's. :p:

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Or they Buy DEI togeather.

Refuted: Sirius NASCAR Radio's Sirius Speedway is reporting today that Teresa Earnhardt has enlisted the services of Bear, Stearns and Company [actally there is no more Bear Stearns as JP Morgan aquired them] to find a buyer -- or at least a major financial investor -- for Dale Earnhardt, Inc. Bear Stearns is an investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm based in New York City, and has been charged with finding a buyer for the entire operation. Barring that, Earnhardt is said to be interested in selling at least a minority interest in the team. DEI President of Global Operations Max Siegel declined to comment on the story when contacted earlier today

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But here it is so far

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm

Office Depot to Stewart UPDATE 3 Stewart granted release from Gibbs: been told that Office Depot will be the sponsor for Tony Stewart in 2009 when he drives for Haas CNC Racing which is will buy in to. Hearing the announcement of the buy and deal will be made in Indianapolis the week NASCAR is in Indy for the Allstate 400 at the Brickyard, July 27th.(7-3-2008)
UPDATE: Tony Stewart is expected to announce a 2009 move to Haas-CNC Racing at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in three weeks. Reliable sources tell Sirius Speedway that Stewart will also announce sponsorship from Office Depot and Old Spice as part of a new, multi-year package with Haas CNC, and that Penske Racing’s Ryan Newman will join him as a teammate, with sponsorship from Jack Daniels. That surprise move comes as the result of an enviable situation at Richard Childress Racing, which now has five potential sponsors for next season, and only four teams. Sirius Speedway has learned that UPS will move from Michael Waltrip Racing’s #44 Toyota to the quarterpanels of Clint Bowyer’s #07 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet in 2009, leaving Jack Daniels in search of a new driver. That driver will be Newman, who is set to sign-on with Stewart at Haas CNC.(Sirius NASCAR Radio's Sirius Speedway)(7-7-2008)
UPDATE 2: #20-Tony Stewart has been granted a release from the final year of his driving contract with Joe Gibbs Racing after 10 seasons with the team. "We've had a lot of success with Tony in our 12 years here at Joe Gibbs Racing," J.D. Gibbs, president of JGR, said in a statement. "While this moment is bittersweet, we're parting on good terms and we know that each of us has benefited greatly from the other." On Thursday at Chicagoland Speedway, Stewart will formally announce a move to Haas/CNC Racing as co-owner and driver, sources close to Stewart said. Sources close to both sides told ESPN.com the deal will make Stewart the highest-paid driver in NASCAR. Sources also said the Stewart Haas cars will carry different numbers. The #14, made famous in IndyCar racing by Stewart's hero, A.J. Foyt, is available, but sources would neither confirm nor deny that as his choice. Sources said Stewart will own a 50% stake in the organization, but his financial investment in attaining it was not disclosed. Per Stewart's agreement with JGR, he will not attempt to hire away any members of his current team. This was a significant key to making the deal happen because the only way that Gibbs felt comfortable with putting Joey Logano in the Cup Series so quickly was to surround him with Greg Zipadelli's established, experienced crew. As ESPN.com's David Newton initially reported, Office Depot will have a role in sponsoring Stewart's car. Ryan Newman remains the lead candidate to drive Stewart Haas' second car, sources said, though no deal had yet been finalized Tuesday night. Stewart Haas will continue to receive chassis and engines from Hendrick Motorsports. Haas/CNC's current drivers, Scott Riggs and Johnny Sauter, are ranked 36th and 44th, respectively, in the owner point standings. If the team's performance fails to improve its points position during the second half of 2008, Stewart's champion's provisional will guarantee him a slot in the field for the first five races next season, presuming NASCAR doesn't change the rule.(ESPN.com)(7-9-2008)
UPDATE 3: Joey Logano acknowledged on Wednesday that he is a candidate to replace Tony Stewart in the #20 Sprint Cup car at Joe Gibbs Racing next season. "It has been brought up a few times," Logano said as he arrived at JGR for a morning workout. Logano wasn't shocked to hear that Stewart will be released from his final year at JGR next season to pursue other opportunities. Stewart was scheduled to tell his team on Wednesday that this will be his last season, then announce on Thursday in Chicago that he has bought into Haas CNC Racing and will drive for that team with another driver -- Ryan Newman, according to sources, is all but a done deal -- next year. Stewart will unveil his new car with Office Depot as the primary sponsor at a news conference in Indianapolis in two weeks, sources said. Logano, 18, said he will focus the rest of this season on his Nationwide Series ride and hope to get into a few Cup races before the end of the year to prepare him for next season.(ESPN.com)(7-9-2008) Comment here

1 - 20 of 33 Posts