GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can say I kinda agree with this article...no Caddy, a bunch of production intros we already knew were coming and no surpises. This year really lack a car with the holy **** factor that say the Cadillac Sixteen had last year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detroit auto show seems humdrum, despite unveiling of 50 vehicles

By Paul Lienert / Autos Insider

Considering how upbeat much of the auto industry seems and how many new models are due to hit U.S. dealerships in the next twelve months, the 2004 Detroit auto show -- the first major international event of the season -- was surprisingly flat.

Known formally as the North American International Auto Show, this year's exhibition seemed to lack the usual buzz that has accompanied previous Detroit shows, despite the fact that more than fifty new production and concept vehicles were unveiled at Cobo Center.

As usual, the hometown contingent spearheaded the new-model premieres -- but it didn't have an awful lot of significant new hardware to crow about.

General Motors Corp. pulled the wraps off five new vehicles, following a similar performance a week earlier at the Los Angeles show.

In Detroit, GM focused on the sixth-generation 2005 Chevrolet Corvette -- which struck disappointed 'Vette loyalists as little more than a lukewarm face-lift with a cheap-looking interior -- as well as the sexy new 2006 Pontiac Solstice and its clever Kappa platform stablemates, the Chevrolet Nomad and Saturn Curve.

Curiously, there was no new Cadillac, a puzzling development considering the brand's overwhelming presence a year ago in Detroit when the stunning Sixteen concept took the media by storm.

Ford Motor Co. proclaimed 2004 the "year of the car", finally unveiling its long-touted Five Hundred mid-size sedan -- a puzzling and ultimately disappointing knockoff of a five-

year-old Volkswagen Passat -- and the Freestyle wagon, which appears to be Dearborn's home-

grown version of the original Volvo Cross Country. Full Article

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
From a purely emotional standpoint I agree, but if given this:

Lots of cool concepts that will never come to be (Cadillac Sixteen, Buick Bengal, Pontiac Rageous, K5 Blazer, Monte Carlo Intimidator Concept, etc.)
while we are stuck with the same old production cars...

VS. this:

Lots of models going into production - Cobalt, G6, Corvette, Solstice, etc.

I choose the latter. Dreams and visions are nice and all for a couple of weeks, but I was just as excited this year by the prospect of seeing a dramatically refreshed product in Chevy and Pontiac dealer lots by this summer.

Call me crazy, but the VVT 3.9L OHV V6 for the G6, and the 2.4L VVT going into the Solstice and Cobalt were more impressive to me than a mock-up one off concept or cool but never to see the light of day 16 cyl. engine.

And lets face it - in the end it is the product on the dealer's lots, not one or two forgotten concepts at a car show, that GM needs to compete.

But a really cool concept sure would have been the icing on the cake! :zippy:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by spdwayGm@Jan 15 2004, 10:05 PM
I havent said it in a while, so here it goes "ALL HAIL MING!!! ALL KNOWING AND ALL DRIVING MING!!!"...in other words, I agree wholeheartedly. :drevil:
Anyone disagree with this fine fellow?

I thought not.

;)

·
Registered
812 Posts
The NAIAS was a bit of a 'let-down'. Most of the major automotive magazines knew what was coming beforehand. The biggest surprise was Chrysler's ME-4-12. And it was a BIG surprise. I would've liked to see more of the Equinox though. That's going to be a smaller SUV with a lot of 'upgradable appeal'. And a peak at the 4-door Hummer H3 could have been exciting also.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I went yesterday, thought it was great. Not as many 'out there' concepts but a lot of interesting new models. The ME-4-12 was shocking, as was the shelby and I'm sorry guys but the Toyota pickup was fun if not for anything but its sheer size. GM was a little flat this year by only having Kappa concepts, lets hope next year they get vengeful of Ford and show us a new Camaro/Firebird and a few off-the-wall concepts. BUT, in conclusion, this was one of the more exciting auto shows i've been to (this is my 6th time) since before there seemed to be more ugly ugly alternative fuel vehicles and no insane sports cars.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well I definitly agree with the "I'd rather see a bunch of production cars than concepts that will never be".

Plus you have to look at it this way, GM probably has there engineers and designers so wraped up in soon to be production cars that they have little time to be spitting out over done concepts that will never see the light of day. Why is it wise anyway to spend millions of dollars on a concept car anyway when I much rather see it go into a car that will most likely be a new entry level car, or a refreshed Tahoe or a replacement Impala and Monte Carlo.

Anyway we got to see a few notible concepts like the S. Cobra, and a couple of GM products one of which will be produced "Saturn Curve".

I hate to be let down too, so it nice not to see a car like the Sixteen again only to know that it will never be made. That really depresses the **** out of me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In Detroit, GM focused on the sixth-generation 2005 Chevrolet Corvette -- which struck disappointed 'Vette loyalists as little more than a lukewarm face-lift with a cheap-looking interior

Man. Will anyone ever be happy. It is the best looking car on the road, and it will blow the doors off of cars 3 times the price.
Yes you may think it is my opinion but it is not. It is true. I swear.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
On the contrary, I think this is the best show in a long time. It wasn't a flashy, "wow, look at this!" show. No, it was a "here's what's being produced and will be available this year" lets-get-down-to-business kind of thing. The Big Three seem to be more or less saying that they're tired of the japanese and their boring cars stealing market share, and so they're going to do something about it. I'd much rather have that than a bunch of neat, but impractical concepts.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The Chevy Nomad made the show for me. There has not been a Chevy in a long time that hit me like the Nomad. NOW IF THEY WILL ONLY BUILD IT! I like the Solstice but most people are not in the market for a roadster. Other than the upcomming BMW 1 series there would be no other small non roadster RWD car on the market to compeate with the Nomad price and performence wise and the Nomad would bury the Bimmer in both catagories.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts